Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 05:32 PM
Banned

Default Best means of collecting wizard runes of specific levels.

I recently started up a wiz and am obsessed with having all spells. I would like to research and do it early to raise my skill up. I have a couple questions about runes.

Now I know the standard method of scouring vendors in the various zones were they are dropped. Above and beyond the latter method I would also like to know a few things.

Can any mob above level 16 drop a rune for their level or lower?
Do animals like spiders, bears, and wisps drop runes if they are high enough? Are certain mobs or zones more likely to drop runes then words or pages?
Will a high level mob like a griffin sometimes drop runes for low level spells or always higher level runes?

Anyway any pointers, tips, or answers to the above questions would be much appreciated. I have already managed to compile a list of spell recipes and have found some of the spells I need to research on other vendors.

Thanks in advance. Your friendly nooby wiz.
Old 03-20-2011, 06:15 PM
Orc

Check vendors in highly populated cities. A lot of people will sell runes/words for plat which allows you to just go around and buy what you need.
Old 03-20-2011, 08:55 PM
Fire Giant

as far as runes, you really just have to worry about is bonds of force, circle of force and ice comet.

and it's best to just level up research at your trainer, it's only about 1.5k or so to get to 200. runes help with a skill up here or there, but it's not that feasible to count on them alone.

btw, best part about a wizard is the downtime/afk-bility, take advantage of it in groups/soloing (as long as you don't have full mana, you're contributing as much as you can)

get yourself a guitar or some classic literature

my max speed doing scale runs went up 20-30 bpm leveling my wiz to 50.
Old 03-21-2011, 05:24 AM
Planar Protector

There are a few others worth researching - pillar of fire at 16, and column of lightning at 24 are both worth it.

A more to-the-point answer is this - Oasis, any of the felwithe vendors close to the bank, the aviak vendor in SK, and especially the Everfrost shaman spell vendor in the middle of the field on the stone platform. He always had a ton of level 16-24 runes. The Mammoths there drop them like candy.

Bonds of force is purchasable, so that's not even a big issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbledorf View Post
I'll look into getting it changed to The Secret Order of the Silver Rose of Truth and Dragons.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:02 AM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by runlvlzero [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Can any mob above level 16 drop a rune for their level or lower?
If it's a level 16 spell, the runes will drop from critters level 16-19.
If it's a level 20 spell, the runes will drop from critters level 20-23.
If it's a level 24 spell, the runes will drop from critters level 24-28.
If it's a level 29 spell, the runes will drop from critters level 29-33.
If it's a level 34 spell, the runes will drop from critters level 34-38.
If it's a level 39 spell, the runes will drop from critters level 39-44.
If it's a level 44 spell, the runes will drop from critters level 44-48.
If it's a level 49 spell, the runes will drop from critters level 49-50.

All Kunark spells are either bought from vendors or dropped by NPCs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by runlvlzero [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Do animals like spiders, bears, and wisps drop runes if they are high enough?
Most NPCs will drop research components if they're the right level. There are some exclusions, but pretty much anything you're going to be killing has a chance to drop runes.

Quote:
Are certain mobs or zones more likely to drop runes then words or pages?
Not really. It's pretty random.

Quote:
Will a high level mob like a griffin sometimes drop runes for low level spells or always higher level runes?
They will only drop runes for spells that fall within their level range.

Quote:
Anyway any pointers, tips, or answers to the above questions would be much appreciated.
Don't waste your time with Al'kabor spells. They're good for research points and selling to a merchant, but other than that they're a complete waste of spell slots.
Old 03-21-2011, 02:22 PM
Banned

Thanks for all the replies. Jarnin that list you compiled is great =) at least I know were to farm some runes at if I need to for specific spells.

And thanks for the quicky vendor list Messianic =)

And the downtime is very nice, lets you go to the bathroom and get a drink, do a quick house chore etc...
Old 03-21-2011, 03:19 PM
Planar Protector

You will find tons of runes on vendors not near druid port locations. RM vendors are chock full of runes on a regular basis and with the level range of that zone you have a nice selection to choose from.
Closed Thread