Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 03-11-2015, 09:09 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by drelk001 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I have no idea how i would ever get to 215 lbs. I am a little over 6`4 and I do really well at 230 to 250. I also look like a fucking rail that thin.

Tanrin,Rinat,Sprucewaynee
Old 03-11-2015, 09:52 AM
Planar Protector

Your doctor is right. 5'9" and 190 is not healthy and your body is telling you that. There's no real magic to losing weight though. It's all very obvious stuff that we all kind of know. Eat healthier (cut out the fast food, have fewer desserts, eat more fish, nuts, fruits, vegetables) and exercise daily. 150 is a good target weight and totally doable.
Old 03-11-2015, 10:09 AM
Planar Protector

One word of advice is to start slow. So many people I know tend to do these "lose 10lbs a week" diets consisting of drinking nothing but lemon juice and eating an apple a day. Start with mild to moderate exercise (walking, light-weight resistance training) and make better choices for meals (Grilled chicken sandwich over burgers). Majority of the time when people lose weight on those "miracle" diets, they gain it all back plus some when they return to their normal diet.
Old 03-11-2015, 10:20 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itap [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
One word of advice is to start slow. So many people I know tend to do these "lose 10lbs a week" diets consisting of drinking nothing but lemon juice and eating an apple a day. Start with mild to moderate exercise (walking, light-weight resistance training) and make better choices for meals (Grilled chicken sandwich over burgers). Majority of the time when people lose weight on those "miracle" diets, they gain it all back plus some when they return to their normal diet.
Good advice. Don't try and lose it all at once. Your diet and exercise should be done in a sustainable way and should end up being just part of your regular life. You can't view this process as a one time shot to get down to whatever your target weight is, and then you can go back to doing what you did before. Don't expect to lose more than about 5 lbs a month, but you'll start feeling better very shortly as your body adjusts to the new diet/activity.
Old 03-11-2015, 10:24 AM
Fire Giant

To see a little humanity on P99 forums has compelled me to contribute to this thread

You have to cut out all simple carbohydrates (sugar, white pasta/bread, etc) and dramatically reduce animal fat intake. Just exercise isn't enough.

Don't do a crazy diet like only lemon juice but definitely cut out ALL SODA AND SOFT DRINKS. If you take cream and sugar in your coffee, drink it black. Eat more fish and less red meat. If cost is an issue tuna fish is a great source of protein and the cheapest price point for fish. If you can, try to eat a nice salmon steak once or twice a week. If you like eggs, use one real egg with a yolk and fill the rest out with carton egg whites (or just do egg whites only) Also, brown rice, whole wheat pasta, and whole wheat bread.

Also, eat TONS of green veggies. Asparagus, Brussels sprouts, cucumber, lettuce, etcetc. My LDL (bad cholesterol) rides high for hereditary and dietary reasons but my HDL is also high (good cholesterol, from working out) Lots of greens and less fatty meat is the best way to get your body back in balance.

If you need any more advice, even exercise tips, PM me if you want, I have been seriously into diet/cooking and weight training for a long time. Good luck!

<The A-Team>
Old 03-11-2015, 10:40 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by drelk001 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
wtf, I am taller and weigh more than this chart.... guess I broke the bmi scale
Old 03-11-2015, 10:47 AM
Fire Giant

BMI needs to seriously be adjusted but due to the glacial pace of change when it comes to "standards" in this country its not happening any time soon.

A friend of mine who was in the military is 5'7 and 180-190 was told he had to lose weight, despite being at the top of the lists on all physical testing etc. He isn't super swoll but definitely very strong and its noticeable in his arms/chest and his waist is as small as it can get. BMI is loaded and measuring obesity or being "overweight" by one single chart is an anachronistic practice.

<The A-Team>
Old 03-11-2015, 11:04 AM
Kobold

Tuljin- for that situation the military will do "tape tests". even they know a guy who is 5'9 and 190 pounds isnt obese, when he has no neck from weight lifting. Sitting in a chair is different dont get me wrong. But the BMI chart provided doesnt even take into account age.

I knew guys who were fat and passed the PT tests at near max. The one guy even would smoke during the run. Charts really dont mean squat, well they never used to. Not going into politics, but they matter now.
Old 03-11-2015, 11:41 AM
Planar Protector

Fuckin hell. I need to go on a diet too breh.
Old 03-11-2015, 11:48 AM
Skeleton

having done the insanity workouts they are not really recommended as a first timer
I would start off with looking at your diet setting yourself a goal of 2000 or less calories a day and light cardio eg running or x trainer for the first month maybe 15 to 30 minute sessions each day
That will improve your base fitness and stamina level to then try something like Insanity
If you have breathing problems the Fit test on Insanity will kill you

The best way to look at this is a lifestyle change not a fad diet or super workout your body will work best if you are careful about what you put in it and how you exercise it and surprisingly if you eat healthy and do moderate exercise your weight will drop easily and you will feel much more healthier

I have changed my lifer around in the last 2 years and shed a lot of weight so if you want any advise pm me
Closed Thread