Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 12-20-2020, 01:27 PM
Kobold

Default Why does it take 10+ attempts before I can log in?

I crash 80% of times I zone. The game almost always hangs for 10+ minutes then I'm forced to kill it with the task manger.

When I try to log back in, the launcher is stuck after I type my credentials, so I kill it again. But it happens again. And again. And again.

Then by some stroke of luck I finally get to the server sele-- and the server select is completely empty. Won't list a single server. So I ALT+F4 and start the launcher again. Refer to the earlier section.

And then somehow the servers are showing, but now every time I try to log in it just hangs for a minute then says "Error - A timeout occurred." or some other reason that it can't log into the server. Multiple times. So I ALT+F4 again. Back to square two.

And finally, when the fucking stars align after 10 - 15 different reboots and I manage to log into the server, the game crashes when I try to load my character.

But if it doesn't... Back to square one.

Yes, this happens both with and without WinEQ2. I have loading art turned off. My connection works just fine and this never happens on any other game or even on live EQ. I have a high end PC with every driver recently updated. The game is borderline unplayable when I have a short time window because I'd rather do anything else with my little free time than play wrestling with the fucking client.

23 y/o forever DM and old school fantasy nerd - Discord: midoo
Odym Drekk
- 54 BAR SHM (main) || Midoo - 52 BAR WAR (alt)

Old 12-20-2020, 08:12 PM
Decaying Skeleton

I have pretty much the same issue as you. Iv scoured all the old posts talking about it and have seen no remedy. I have DSL internet and its like 75% when i zone ill crash. Logging in takes multiple attempts. I get blank server lists and freeze when entering world.

The little insight I have is that it has to do with poor connections. I did play on this server in 2012 with the same connect and had no problems. Iv read this issue didn't exist until a certain patch and it most likely has to do with their cheat detecting bullshit. I mean this game I used to run fine with a 56k modem back in the day, DSL should be great for it but it isn't.
Old 12-20-2020, 11:55 PM
Sarnak

The eqemu server select screen dislikes crappy connections. I have horrible DSL, 3.5mbps max speed, and about 50% of the time the server select is empty. Press esc to exit and try again. Once i get in, i usually have no issues.

On days i don't want to deal with it, i use my phone as a hot spot. It works much better