Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Closed Thread

Old 04-19-2021, 02:34 PM
Aviak

Default Shield AC for a caster

I'm curious how effective a shield like "A Shimmering Orb" (15 AC, +20hp) is at reducing max hits. Ive heard shield AC is far more effective than other AC at reducing max hits. In my mind, that could be very helpful dmg reduction.

For example, you are getting quadded for 180 a hit. If one of those 4 hits only lands for 90 dmg, you are saving yourself 90 hps. Two rounds you save 180 hp. ( All hypothetical, and best best case scenario).

Now imagine a secondary item (lets say a stein) with no AC, buy a +90 hp bonus. This thing would probably sell for 5k. A shimmering orb sells for 100pp.

If you are following, it seems like caster shield AC is undervalued. I assume im missing something, or valuing AC too much. Most casters i see do not bother with shield.
Old 04-19-2021, 03:43 PM
Planar Protector

I have no idea about the actual numbers/calculations ... but the short answer is that adding 15 AC to a caster is not going to make a noticeable difference.

Now, to be fair, Shaman/Clerics do get meaningful benefits from enough AC, and so stacking AC on them isn't worthless ... but, even for them, 15 AC will not mean enough of a difference that the player can observe: you'd only see it in parses.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 04-19-2021, 05:25 PM
Planar Protector

just get buckler of insight ffs
Fauvana 60 Erudite Necromancer
Erjav 60 Human Bard
Enjamini 60 Human Magician
Deepwalter 60 Erudite Paladin
Seliel 60 Human Rogue
Enjoii 54 Dark Elf Warrior
Old 04-21-2021, 01:25 PM
Banned

Shimmering orb is amazing way worth it over any +int/mana item until u can get another shield item with int. even 10ac +5 int is not worth losing out on that 5 ac in that shield slot.
Old 04-21-2021, 04:08 PM
Planar Protector

Surely this depends on level, which will basically indicate whether the wizard can get their mitigation AC close enough to a mob's attack.

AC worked great on my blue wizard facetanknukespamming gnolls, but did basically nothing against spectres (at which point I took up quadding).
Old 04-21-2021, 04:52 PM
Banned

Yeah ac starts to suck anyway for casters post 35 as their skills are pretty much capped in sync with like lvl 20s mobs.

Still a great item and could mean the difference between dying in one round to a lvl 50 mob quadding or lasting two rounds and getting a heal, mob rooted and backing off.. boils a bit down to luck but the AC makes that luck possible.
Closed Thread