Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 06-01-2020, 12:19 PM
Aviak

#openthedoor2020 what do the spell vendors know?!

PoP was a return to Norrath but the whole "it was all a dream" ending does a lot to deflate its story. Where's that hidden city of Zebuxoruk the manual hinted at so long ago?

Luclin as an optional add-on tho, I dunno. Between classic and PoP it seems like the least optional expansion, what with mounts changing casting (catch your med tick while casting omg!) and the Bazaar siphoning all commerce to it and free afk intercontinental (technically, interplanetary because that's how silly Luclin is) travel becoming a thing. Probably other stuff too, but that's just off the top of my head. Oh, and AA's! Luclin may have been 33% of the expansions at that point, but I don't think its nuts to say you were missing out on closer to 50% of what was available overall - much higher tier than say, missing out on Warrens.

Oh and about things that Velious adds, I know it turned out to be a lore dead-end until like 2007 but the whole threat of a draconic apocalypse heralded by Kerafyrm was at least kinda interesting! And it fit with a game whose manual has a bunch of dragon lore in it but is a little light on shadow entities.

As much as I rail on it, if I were making my own expansive world I would steal heavily from Luclin, I'd just try to make it feel like a thing that everything else was leading up to, rather than the kind of weird, spectacular tangent it felt like. Set up, pay off and all that jazz.

<Aftermath>
Old 06-01-2020, 12:26 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetaress [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I want to respect ur opinion tho, especially about the Seru and dark elves, shadowhaven, seru, and katta all should have had hard KOS like neriak elfs and good god worshippers, felwith vs darkies, and freeport vs trolls ogres

Shadowhaven clearly has brellish themese who don't like ogres at all, which is a very dwarven quality, where as Katta is definately the good guys lol, and Seru should have been total dicks to evil races.
I respect yours btw, just kinda flaming the expansion. Feels like it came really close to brilliance but had just enough wrong with it to be frustrating to me, and its kinda fun to articulate why to other nerds who get it.

Also I guess I gotta rationalize spending so much of my life on Velious-locked servers lol

<Aftermath>
Old 06-01-2020, 02:03 PM
Planar Protector

Ur right about the baz, ppl should have been able to broker /trader in base game in other cities. Sorry I don't like sitting online for 50 years brokering and hitting a spam /auction key but otherwise yeah, valid points!

I never had a mount until GoD lol! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] I was a perma newb
Old 06-01-2020, 02:04 PM
Planar Protector

Also I remember the frame rates dropping to like 1 and crashing a lot in various places due to some wierd chipset bug with the drivers, the game shipped without a work around, and it took them far to long to fix it. EQ is the least technically proficient of all MMOs. it's definately hacked together.
Old 06-01-2020, 02:51 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by noleriand [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Velious felt like it had to do with Norrath, and its denizens doing things. On Norrath. Killing Norrathian dragons and gods.

Tunare and Rallos Zek were added and their proxies vie for control of the Wakening Lands. The lifecycle of dragons is quite vividly fleshed out, from birth in the nests of the Western Wastes to death in the Dragon Necropolis, and beyond. Fervent worshipers of Brell Serilis still pray for his guidance in the strange frozen land they have come to call home.

Meanwhile, in GM events of the time, the Primordial Malice is attempting to resurrect Lanys T'vyl and reassemble Malevolence, one of Innoruuk's most powerful artifacts. This is so she can cause problems for Firiona Vie - the lady on the literal box of EQ. Innoruuk and Tunare's rivalry appears to be escalating, as evidenced by the corruption of the Lesser Faydark, all in all it appears to be coming to a head soon...

STOP! We're gonna kinda circle back to that, but before that we're going on a quick detour to the moon. So we can 'explain' why the gypsies sell nice (I guess?) weapons and what those things wizards port you to are by making an entire city out of them, but then not finishing it.

Only relevant deity now is Luclin, who we've never heard of and can't worship but who apparently has a bunch of followers who outclass dragons, demigods, and even the gods on their own planes? And... we can't even see her because you didn't finish it?

Nobody cares what race, class, or alignment you are. Except maybe Seru doesn't like dark elves or something? Other than that it may as well be an entire planetoid of agnostics, and every city a Crescent Reach... that isn't finished.

Very little has anything to do with anything from before. The places it connects with Norrathian lore are limited to Shissar from Kunark, Vah Shir from Odus, and Combine as just kind of a homogeneous smattering of everything else. None of that Combine stuff the Monk epic hinted at though! Oh and despite the focus on Combine and how great they are at teleportation and stuff, none of the teleportation spells take you to any structures like that on Luclin except the Nexus!

Meanwhile, on one of the globes in Skyfire Mountains, aspiring cartographers are able to see an island on the far side of the sea. What mysteries lay...

...oh its Taelosia I guess, and it has even less to do with anything than anything else, ever. Guess they pulled a Luclin on us! Again!

And where's that door in Shadowhaven library go?! Don't give me that line about the Netherbian Lair, all that extra crap in 2001 was grinding FPS to a halt in a practically mandatory zone for a throwaway hail about the biggest door we've ever seen going to the least interesting zone ever?

If I'm missing anything, please crack some eggs of Luclin lore knowledge on my head, but I really would have preferred all the effort that went into Luclin's unique and inexplicable creatures be directed at... Norrath, and Norrathian things.

Can I subscribed to your EQ Lore YouTube channel Mr. Interesting?
Old 06-01-2020, 03:11 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetaress [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Ur right about the baz, ppl should have been able to broker /trader in base game in other cities. Sorry I don't like sitting online for 50 years brokering and hitting a spam /auction key but otherwise yeah, valid points!

I never had a mount until GoD lol! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] I was a perma newb
My friends RMTd me a horse.
Old 06-01-2020, 03:11 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
My friends RMTd me a horse.
For my birthday!
Old 06-01-2020, 03:21 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Also I remember the frame rates dropping to like 1 and crashing a lot in various places due to some wierd chipset bug with the drivers, the game shipped without a work around, and it took them far to long to fix it. EQ is the least technically proficient of all MMOs. it's definately hacked together.
There was a certain arrogance among the devs, that the players were inept whiners, which in fairness to the devs was certainly at least half true in my case.

Complaints that taunt didn't work, that bash didn't work were met with the official policy 'l2p git gud' … of course it later transpired that taunt wasn't working properly after level 50 (for years) and it wasn't till Dragons of Norrath where they revealed 'oh whoops, we thought you weren't using shields on your warriors because you were newbs, but actually we've just realised that bash wasn't generating aggro the same as spell stun which we thought it did' - that was like 5 years into Everquest. And even when these issues were identified, they were never properly fixed 'the meta has adjusted to low aggro shield bash so we'll just add a few more furious bash items'.

There was great vision, and the zone designs were pretty cool, which got carried by exactly the right artist for the project, but honestly the game is a mess.
Old 06-01-2020, 04:07 PM
Planar Protector

Yep. Lol. I abhor a mess, but I tolerate EQ... >.>
Old 06-01-2020, 05:22 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
What does velious actually add?
Mainly it adds a sense of dread as The Senescence drifts over the cold frozen lands, covering everything with a fog that never lifts.
Closed Thread