Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Priests

Closed Thread

Old 02-01-2017, 11:36 AM
Kobold

Default 60 Shaman Gear Upgrades

Hey all. Just looking for some advice on upgrading my gear on my 60 Troll Shaman. I've already saved up enough to buy Torpor and Malo, so now I'd like to upgrade this embarrassing gear:

EARS: Jasper Gold Earring, Shrunken Goblin Skull Earring
FINGERS: Platinum Jasper Ring, Golem Tear Ring
NECK: Regent Symbol of Innoruuk
HEAD: Platinum Tiara
FACE: Mask of Wurms
CHEST: Fungus Covered Scale Tunic
ARMS: Hollowed Bone Bracers
BACK: Cloak of the Maelstrom
WAIST: Mucilaginous Girdle
SHOULDERS: Obulus Mantle
WRISTS: Golden Jaded Bracelet, Jaundiced Bone Bracer
LEGS: Gatorscale Leggings
HANDS: Coldain Skin Gloves
FEET: Coldain Skin Boots
PRIMARY: Spear of Fate
SECONDARY: Sarnak Battle Shield
RANGE: Howling Harpoon

I spend 99% of my time duoing with a Monk, but I assume I should be looking for AC/HP for the occasional off-tanking? My best guess is a full suite of HP/Mana jewelry and then Arctic Wyvern/Matchless Dragon for everything else, but I honestly have no idea.

What is the go-to for most high-level Shamans? Don't really have a limited budget, but I'd like to stay practical and avoid gear that requires raids/MQ. Thanks!
Old 02-01-2017, 11:57 AM
Sarnak

First and foremost, get yourself a Coldain ring. The hp and resist are great and it allows you to ditch the gobby earring. You can solo the entire quest up to part 9 where you'll need a hand (monk duo will probably do it for you). Depending on your wis you'll probably want a 65hp or djarn ring too.

You'll want to check out the Sanctum Guardian's Earring quest. Requires a balanced group or small raid force for the final part but the reward is well worth it. Your other earring should be a 35hp/25mp or ivandyr hoop, depending on wis requirements.

Depending on how good you are at clicking air, check out the Talisman of Benevolence for your range slot. Quest is available every 10 hours in WW, but is heavily contested. You'll occasionally find people selling loot rights for 20k if you're not having luck yourself.

Shaman and monk duo is perfect for farming Lodizal, get yourself a lodi shield to replace your SBS. While you've got your monk buddy the two of you should farm 6 neck dragons (the dragons guarding the entrance to ToV) for their talismans.

After that there's a couple gear pieces you can farm or save up plat for: hierophant cloak, crystal spider eyes, artic wyvern or thurg armor MQS (SS MQs being the priority if you've got the cash though). Can find a guild and start farming Halls of Testing too, the SS armor won't be replaced until you're doing some serious raiding. You might also get the chance to loot a Chestplate of Vindication too.
Old 02-01-2017, 01:15 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by icedwards [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
stuff
QFT, couldn't have said it better myself, spider eyes definitely a soloable camp for you.

Also check out the gladiator's chain sleeves and legs from kael arena, torpor sham and monk can duo those 2 guys, take a group if you want to be safe.
Last edited by HalasHermit; 02-01-2017 at 01:18 PM..
Old 02-01-2017, 04:55 PM
Kobold

Thanks for the help so far, though I will gladly still accept more input.

I was hoping for some more bang-for-your-buck slot choices (like Crystal Spider Eyes) and avoiding raids/MQs if possible. I know for Monks, there are a few slot choices that are basically BIS outside of raiding and are easy to get in EC, though wouldn't be surprised if Shaman wasn't that easy.

Also I'll add that the Monk and I have duo'd at least 1 of the +6 dragons in WW (Entariz maybe?), but it was about a 30 minute fight and we got nothing to show for it. Not to mention the AoE seemed to really mess me up even at distance. If anyone has any advice for those guys, hit me up in PM. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 02-01-2017, 10:20 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

upgrade in this order
Neck: +6 neck in WW. easy duo shouldnt take more than an hour if they are up
Earrings: earring of essence an/or 35/25 earring + shrunken goblin earring
fingers: hp rings (65 or djarns)
arms:crystal chitin arms
shoulders: any of the WW shoulders. the 25/25 and 35/35 is best bank for ur buck. can also farm these
wrists: bracer of hammerfall(easy quest)
Legs: Gladiator chain legs.

also check out https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...d.php?t=132972 for more ideas
Old 02-02-2017, 12:18 AM
Kobold

Thanks for the info Rim! I'll be keeping an eye out for those items and referring to that thread.

As an update, I recently upgraded:
HEAD: Arctic Wyvern Skullcap
FACE: Crystal Spider Eyes
WRISTS: Arctic Wyvern Wristbands x 2

Was a good boost to my Wisdom.
Old 02-02-2017, 11:10 AM
Sarnak

The dragonbone bracers are a good source for high AC(12-14) and WIS(8-11) allowing you focus on HP.

Ivandyr's Hoop has good AC and Wis.

If you get into an Arena farm the giants can drop Gladiator legs(like 17ac wis6/HP/10 mr). Not terribly common but a nice upgrade before Quest armor and helps you with the faction needed for the Sanctum Ring Quest.
Old 02-02-2017, 07:09 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
wis to 200ish and the rest straight HP
Torpor Shaman have absolutely no need for a mana pool over 1500 (which you almost have naked).

Its all about AC/HP/Resists. Wisdom can be completely ignored.
Old 02-02-2017, 07:43 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejester11 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I spend 99% of my time duoing with a Monk, but I assume I should be looking for AC/HP for the occasional off-tanking? My best guess is a full suite of HP/Mana jewelry and then Arctic Wyvern/Matchless Dragon for everything else, but I honestly have no idea.

What is the go-to for most high-level Shamans? Don't really have a limited budget, but I'd like to stay practical and avoid gear that requires raids/MQ. Thanks!
Arctic Wyvern is terrible, the AC is atrocious and its all +Wisdom which you have absolutely no use for. The Dragon shoulder is fantastic but expensive, same for the Chest, the rest is decent AC but lacking in HP, so depending on your trade off ratio, probably isn't worth the huge cost.

Ignoring high end raid drops, you should have :-

Arms - Gladiator Chain Arms - use Jaundiced, Ry'gorr or Giants Scale till you get the drop.
Back - Hierophants Cloak or Lodizal Shell Shield (AC to HP trade off, you make the call).
Chest - Matchless Dragonhide or Fungi. Phase Spider Carapace is decent alternative if you want value (as the Fungi is kinda redundant).
Ear - Black Sapphire Electrum. Gold is worse. Should have two and only use Gobbo Earring indoors, use Black Fur Boots outside.
Face - Crystal Spider Eyes
Feet - Barbed Dragonscale Boots
Finger - Velium Fire
Hands - Coldain Skin Gloves or Barbed Ringmail Gloves
Head - Circlet of Tallon
Legs - Gladiator Chain Leggings - use Oiled Greaves or Ry'gorr or Giants Scale or a cheaper Dragonleg than Matchless till you get the drop.
Neck - any +6 you can duo with Monk (there's quite a few). Necklace of Superiority or Chipped Velium till then.
Shoulder - Matchless Dragonhide. Tattered Mantle for a value alternative.
Waist - Spider Fur Belt.
Wrist - Sentry Bracer or MQ Skyshrine Bracer.
Secondary - Sarnak Battle Shield.
Range - Idol of the Thorned.

Personally, I'd advise you to keep a haste item, so fill whatever slot you want with that. That list will pretty much do you, you can work on some of the quest fillers - Coldain Ring, Sarnak stuff when it drops, Bracer of Benevolence and Talisman of Benevolence, etc.. There's probably half a dozen upgrades you can get from that.

Then you're pretty much done outside of upgrades from ToV.
Last edited by EdTuBrutus; 02-02-2017 at 07:46 PM..
Old 02-03-2017, 01:37 PM
Planar Protector

Brutus's comments seem akin to the norm for a solo-based Shaman. AC, for example, has virtually no relevance to a grouping Shaman who doesn't get hit very often. The wife goes hours at a time, sometimes, between taking hits in melee--AC is thusly near-useless for her. Resists, likewise, lose some value when the only spell damage you're taking is from the occasional area effect spell (outside raids this basically means western wastes). Mana pool, on the other hand, has some real value if you get into a situation where you have a bunch of slow resists and have to keep re-casting while also handling crowd control and heals with no time to stop to canni/torpor.

Brutus isn't wrong by any means, but rather the point is that there's more than one way to run a Shaman effectively, and you want the right gear for the right job. Of course, we're in Velious now, not Kunark, so gearing isn't usually an either-or proposition anymore. Most pieces of equipment worth having come with lots of stats. All but a few of the items listed in the previous post are pretty standard Shaman items regardless of which stats a player might favor. The pieces which aren't (belt, range slot, shield, etc) can be swapped out as desired.

Danth
Closed Thread