Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 02-22-2020, 11:32 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiscriminate_hater [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Druids and wizards are worthless and they should be grateful they can provide a free service to the rest of us load bearers
LOL, it’s savage, but also kinda true.
Old 02-23-2020, 01:05 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornisthebest [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
do NOT give 1p per level. expecting a level 9 to tip 9p per port is gross
I actually think 1pp per level is ok even at low levels. A level 9 should not be porting all over Norrath looking for a group. They should be hunkering down in an exp zone and grinding. If they’re not born near a good exp zone, they should save up 9pp, take one port, with bind, and grind in their new neighborhood.
Old 02-23-2020, 03:06 AM
Sarnak

Well. You’re not wrong (about most of it), but they’re also not wrong for wanting to be compensated for their time. Ports are a great incentive to play those classes, and many people might make the decision to play them based off potential pp return, just as someone else might choose to play an enchanter so they could farm high level content.

I always lead with what I’m offering when I ask for a port. I tend to overpay, because as an erudite, traveling was terrible until I recently could summon a cold stone. It is rare though that I pay less than 30 plat per port.

The big issue with ports in my opinion is that people treat them as services, instead of products, but somehow forget that 99% of the time you pay a flat rate for a service and then tip on top of that based on your experience. For instance, when is the last time that you got a haircut without paying for the cost of the service itself ?

You are absolutely right that they should specify what they want as compensation, but while they are at it - get rid of the “suggested donation” bull shit. Either do it strictly on a donation basis and GTFOver it, or charge what you want to and drop the word donation, because that’s when it comes across as ridiculous.

Several times Ive came across Druids that charge per spell tier. So for instance level 29 spells were a different rate than 34, etc. I’ve also seen them include “tips greatly appreciated”. I think that’s the way to go and it would solve a lot of this bull shit
Old 02-23-2020, 03:24 AM
Decaying Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madae [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Maybe we can also use this time to discuss what an acceptable payment is, anyway. I usually pay what I can afford that is, at the very least, not going to be more expensive than what I'll actually make when I go somewhere for a group or whatever. I'm sure other people toss around several times more than me, but tip culture is inherently open, and whining about it just makes no sense.
I'd never gripe if someone tipped me 15 - 20pp for a port, but if someone tips me less that's OK too. I tip 5pp for important buffs and 20pp for ports assuming I am not inconveniencing someone. If someone goes above and beyond for me, I will do 30pp for buffs and 75pp for ports (e.g. pls come Clarity me at this nearby port so I don't lose this camp or can you port this rezzer to my body since the closest spire is 3 zones away).

On what average/normal looks like, I have a script that parses all port and trade data and throws it in a spreadsheet. I've only got ~140 datapoints in there now, but when I get 1,000+ ports in there I'll let you know what the averages look like.

What I can tell you today is that my most popular ports are EC to NRo (~30pp/port) and GFay to WC or NRo(~4pp/port). Most people in raiding guilds tip 30+ with most around 40, though they will do as much as 75 or 100pp, and people late at night trying to avoid a boat ride will pay fat stacks of cash, even if they have to wait for me to finish a quad and med up (~34pp average).

Hope this helped. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 02-23-2020, 10:26 AM
Banned

You're 'not knowing how much to tip' while also posting on this forum pretty much sums up the kind of piece of shit you are =)
Old 02-23-2020, 10:47 AM
Planar Protector

Or you can send a tell saying will tip x amount for port from A to B. The porter will accept or decline.
Old 02-23-2020, 11:00 AM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Videri [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I actually think 1pp per level is ok even at low levels. A level 9 should not be porting all over Norrath looking for a group. They should be hunkering down in an exp zone and grinding. If they’re not born near a good exp zone, they should save up 9pp, take one port, with bind, and grind in their new neighborhood.
What are your other thoughts on how other people should play everquest
Old 02-23-2020, 11:25 AM
Sarnak

Donation, by definition, is a gratuity that doesn’t in itself require to pay anything. A “tip” on the other hand implies that some amount be given, though not clearly delineated.

Porters are just as much to blame when asking for something and not getting what they’re “unspoken” reserve is. The reason they ask for tips and not a straight amount is that they’re HOPING they get considerably more than what they’d charge. They’re not being altruistic, they’re providing a service and hoping for a big payout, but have to balance that with sometime accepting less.

If the porter simply asked for a donation or tip, it’s not OP’s fault the amount wasn’t acceptable to the porter. They can either ask for a flat rate, or ask for a tip. Flat rate guarantees they make a certain amount, tip means they could end up making much more at the risk of making less. Both have advantages, but it’s on them to set the terms. Not the one asking for a port.

There are ‘recommended’ amounts to give (1pp per level) but that’s just a custom, and not set in stone.
Old 02-23-2020, 04:30 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smellybuttface [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Donation, by definition, is a gratuity that doesn’t in itself require to pay anything. A “tip” on the other hand implies that some amount be given, though not clearly delineated.

Porters are just as much to blame when asking for something and not getting what they’re “unspoken” reserve is. The reason they ask for tips and not a straight amount is that they’re HOPING they get considerably more than what they’d charge. They’re not being altruistic, they’re providing a service and hoping for a big payout, but have to balance that with sometime accepting less.

If the porter simply asked for a donation or tip, it’s not OP’s fault the amount wasn’t acceptable to the porter. They can either ask for a flat rate, or ask for a tip. Flat rate guarantees they make a certain amount, tip means they could end up making much more at the risk of making less. Both have advantages, but it’s on them to set the terms. Not the one asking for a port.

There are ‘recommended’ amounts to give (1pp per level) but that’s just a custom, and not set in stone.
We get it, you're cheap as shit and looking for any semantic reason to stiff people.

Every last one of you "well they shouldn't say DONATION then huurrrrr" fuckwads knows damn well they are doing it trying to make money. Its fake ass pixel cash, just give the fucker some of it for the convenience of being ported. Get over yourselves.
Old 02-23-2020, 04:32 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fammaden [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
We get it, you're cheap as shit and looking for any semantic reason to stiff people.

Every last one of you "well they shouldn't say DONATION then huurrrrr" fuckwads knows damn well they are doing it trying to make money. Its fake ass pixel cash, just give the fucker some of it for the convenience of being ported. Get over yourselves.
Words have meaning. I don’t stiff anytime I get ported, but if they’re looking for something specific then they can damn well say what the fuck they’re asking for.
Closed Thread