Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 06-01-2020, 05:11 PM
Planar Protector

Program Files is a protected directory. Since the game wasn't running with admin rights previously, it's unable to write changes to that directory (such as when you change your UI or hotbuttons) so it uses a directory it does have access to - which is usually in C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\Sony\EverQuest\ (I copied this location from https://wiki.project1999.com/Logfiles as I didn't install it to Program Files so I don't have the directory structure available). When you changed it to use Admin rights, it's suddenly able to access those files in the default location, so it uses them instead of the alternate copies it created previously. You can search for them or just hit start and just type %appdata% and press enter and it will open the directory, and then copy them over to your "actual" game folder.

To avoid issues like this - don't install to the default location in program files. Use something like C:\games\EverQuest.

From the Getting Started ( https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=2651 ) guide:

Install Everquest Titanium to a fresh directory. This directory must be separate from any live Everquest installs and dedicated to Project 1999. Some users have experienced trouble installing Titanium to their Program Files directory with Windows Vista/7/8, so an alternate path should be specified (Example: C:\EQEmu).

-Mcoy
Last edited by mcoy; 06-01-2020 at 05:15 PM..
Old 06-01-2020, 05:12 PM
Orc

Ok if I have two sets of UI files, I could just copy the original \appdata set over to the \default directory and then I'll have the same UI for both when I run with admin mode or with out admin mode?

And I got what your saying, I installed to the default directory
Last edited by stylingpat; 06-01-2020 at 05:18 PM..
Old 06-01-2020, 05:18 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by stylingpat [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Wait a min....

If my UI files are being stored in /user/appdata

Pasting them over would mean... there is a set being used in my /program files(x84) directory.

Does this mean EQGame.exe is NOT being used, untill I turn on compatability mode and allow authorized user?

How is the game being loaded?
Forgot to address this - the program can read from a protected location - it just can't write to it. That's why your UI changes from before using Admin mode aren't reflected in the files in the default location.

-Mcoy
Old 06-01-2020, 05:26 PM
Orc

Sweet I think this should also help out anyone else who runs into this problem!
Old 06-01-2020, 07:28 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by stylingpat [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Ok if I have two sets of UI files, I could just copy the original \appdata set over to the \default directory and then I'll have the same UI for both when I run with admin mode or with out admin mode?

And I got what your saying, I installed to the default directory
Rather than worrying about what mode you're running in and having to update multiple copies of your files (added a new hotkey? changed an inc macro? etc) - just copy your installed game out of Program Files, copy your UI files from appdata into it, and update any shortcut that points to "launch titanium.bat" to point to the new location, or just create a new shortcut after you move it.

-Mcoy
Old 06-20-2020, 09:31 AM
Orc

Hmm strange, I reinstalled EQ. Been playing on my monitor, and I went to go try and play just on the laptop unplugged from my monitor and I'm getting the memory error again?

Even after switching EQGame.exe to compatibility mode and allow authorized user like last time. I wonder what is different now. Everything is the same
Old 06-21-2020, 06:55 AM
Planar Protector

Your resolution changed due to using a different monitor. Time to play with the settings again.

https://wiki.project1999.com/Tech_Su...not_be_read.22

-Mcoy
Old 06-21-2020, 09:25 AM
Orc

I can get it to load on my laptop now in window mode but it crashes full screen. I'll read that link real fast
Old 06-21-2020, 09:31 AM
Orc

Yep got it to work, the EQGAME.ini file has to match the resolution for it to load.