Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 08-07-2020, 12:16 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arteker [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
i heard u still die to living bomb cuz absurd bad as fuck player.
Don’t know what that means. I’m killing some coyotes in badlands. I’m really good at this game.
Originally Posted by Hollywood Hogan
The first thing you gotta' realize, brother, is this right here is the future of wrestling. You can call this the New World Order of Wrestling.
Old 08-07-2020, 12:25 PM
Sarnak

All I know is that as somebody who barely knows what is going on in EQ, it is not uncommon for me to end a play session worse off than when I logged on. This would never happen in WoW. EQ is infinitely less forgiving.
Old 08-07-2020, 01:26 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecondoJoe [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Everyone was doing it, dude. I didn't come up with the idea on my own, I learned about it from players in my group.
I think the point is more that you shouldn't admit to that...I don't think because there were other complete losers going to such a degree makes it somehow totally not really embarassing
Old 08-07-2020, 02:20 PM
Planar Protector

Warcraft has a generally sensible difficulty curve. It starts out easy and slowly grows tougher, albeit its maximum difficulty is not particularly great except in a few very specific areas. For the most part Blizzard does not want an overly difficult game; players who quit in frustration represent lost revenue. Content that proves difficult is almost invariably made easier, such as the original walled version of "Andorhol" which was quickly removed due to complaints as well as the original versions of both Stratholme and Scholomance, both of which were heavily nerfed. For the most part "WoW classic" gets the easymode versions from the start, further increasing the perception of Warcraft as an easy game overall. Forgotten is that Warcraft does actually have a minimum "floor" and it is difficult for outright terrible or AFK players to get very far.

EQ's difficulty is certainly there--but it's all out of whack, with the high-end being generally the easiest and safest part of the game. The lack of instancing makes difficulty hard to enforce. Some newbie trying to brave the depths of Blackburrow risks all of what little he has with a high chance of meeting a quick and bad end. At the other end of the game, legions of lazy coattail-riders AFK their way to victory whilst tabbed out watching YouTube because the game allows guilds to "zerg" down content with many times the number of players the content is designed for. Difficulty is there even at the "end" of EQ--but players have to actively seek it. Many don't. EQ allows for a lot of space for player growth and for pushing the limit but most of the best players will hang out solo or duo/trio and not really be seen all that much for anyone to notice them unless they like making videos.

I don't necessarily call EQ a hard game, but I call it a game that has a much less consistent difficulty level than what Warcraft offers. EQ can be either harder or easier than Warcraft depending on the motivation or timidity of the player in question.

Danth
Old 08-07-2020, 02:31 PM
Sarnak

It is a shame that WoW classic went with 1.12 out of the gates. That was the “catch-up” patch that nerfed the shit out of everything. I have fond memories of trying to crawl through the original scholomance. I also remember uldaman as being an instance that was a feat to get through for a while if you did it at the recommended level.
I get some of those same feels when I try to creep through a new zone in EQ, but I am terrified that I might lose all my shit forever! That said I do try to make minimal use of the wiki.
Old 08-07-2020, 02:54 PM
Aviak

I'll put this post to bed.

If EQ truly was the game the people on this forum nostalgically chalk it up to be, the numbers would show it. As it stands, the amount of people the blue, green, and red servers have in total during peak time is around 2,000 people.

When a game is fun and challenging, there is a player base to back up the success. Talk of what you guys consider skill is moot. As it is, this place is still Rogean's museum and all the players here are akin to civil war reenactment actors to compliment it.

Baritune - level 60 Bard
Weegee - level 40 Wizard

Representing the Sanctuary Guild as an officer. We're a group friendly red players looking enjoy Project99 without the shackles of the blue servers rules!
Old 08-07-2020, 02:57 PM
Banned

Says a guy who joined desolate Red years after served peaked

(LOL)
Old 08-07-2020, 03:07 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clazxiss [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'll put this post to bed.

If EQ truly was the game the people on this forum nostalgically chalk it up to be, the numbers would show it. As it stands, the amount of people the blue, green, and red servers have in total during peak time is around 2,000 people.

When a game is fun and challenging, there is a player base to back up the success. Talk of what you guys consider skill is moot. As it is, this place is still Rogean's museum and all the players here are akin to civil war reenactment actors to compliment it.
Lol what? It's a 20 year old game that some MMO players who are, say, college age have never even heard of because they're too young. This is a pretty terrible take. There are tons of amazing games from the late 90s and early 2000s that don't have some huge 6 or 7 figure player base simply because they are older and people aren't aware of them as much.

Shit, I know tons of old EQ players who hadn't even heard of P99 itself and were ecstatic when they found out. P99 isn't exactly advertised to people.
Old 08-07-2020, 03:15 PM
Banned

2000 people at primetime also doesn't really represent total active players at all, just the total people online at a given time, I'd be curious to know the total number of separate accounts logged in at some point during a 24hr period.
Old 08-07-2020, 03:19 PM
Planar Protector

I bet if you took 10 p99 raiders that never played wow

and 10 wow raiders that never played EQ

Swapped their log in info's

made the 10 wow players raid the top 3rd expansion everquest zone
Make the 10 p99 raiders raid the top 3rd expansino WOW zone

The p99 raiders would be finished quicker and with less deaths.
Closed Thread