Closed Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 05:45 PM
The Protector of Sunder

Default Why does everyone hate rangers?

I just want to exp [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

<LFG Rongeur 26 Ranger>
Old 09-04-2014, 05:48 PM
Planar Protector

Hybrids currently have a significant experience penalty, and with the way EQ works that means they will actually use up more than their fair share of the group's experience.

However, at some point after Velious is released those penalties will go away. In the meantime I recommend duoing or trioing instead, or starting your own groups.
Old 09-04-2014, 05:51 PM
Sarnak

What can a ranger bring to a group that another class can't do better and without the xp penalty?
Old 09-04-2014, 06:08 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emile [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What can a ranger bring to a group that another class can't do better and without the xp penalty?
Ranger FD causes mem whipe on mobs 100% of the time. SKs and Necros don't even get close to that.
Old 09-04-2014, 07:56 PM
The Protector of Sunder

I'm fortunate in that I have pretty good gear. I can probably hang in top DPS for everyone besides epic rogue, I can hold aggro really well using snare/root, and I can pull as well as anyone until higher levels.

The only thing that keeps me from groups is bias against rangers but I'd argue that a really well equipped ranger can increase the exp of a lower level group way more than that penalty would cause.
Old 09-05-2014, 03:53 PM
Planar Protector

... I love rangers... Any good player can make a group. Level 26 shouldn't run in to too much hybrid hate. Sometimes if I'm in a group with 3 hybrids I start to back slowly away.
Old 09-05-2014, 05:24 PM
Sarnak

If people wont group with you because you are ranger, they have misunderstood the reason to play a 15 year old game. Min maxing in mid 20s group on P99 is.......wrong.
Old 09-05-2014, 06:03 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emile [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Rangers bring a combination of snap agro and dps that you can't get from any other tank. Warriors and monks can tank and dps, but have poor agro management. Paladins and shadow knights can tank and snap agro, but have terrible dps.

A properly geared ranger (sky haste, epic) does slightly less dps than a comparably geared monk (good worn haste, epic), and contrary to popular belief, isn't going to run your healer out of mana, especially if you have slows. A ranger is also a better puller than a monk in certain outdoor areas such as Mistmoore, Karnor's Castle, and Kael Drakkel, with a ranger and iksar monk having roughly the same XP penalty.

So that is their one narrow role where it is worth having a ranger: Tank for a 6 person group whose efficiency is limited by DPS output, not healing. That is an extremely common form of group on p99.

Also, assuming equal gear, monks don't do that much more DPS than rangers. Part of that perception is due to the fact that the monk epic is extremely easy to get compared to the ranger epic. Where a 60 epic'd iksar monk in a seb group might be doing 60 dps, an epic'd ranger will do 50. That's less than the difference between a lazy-ass and someone who is on the ball.

A 50+ enchanter who doesn't charm costs their group close to 100 dps, but that lazy individual will still get invited to groups.
Last edited by Lune; 09-05-2014 at 06:07 PM..
Old 09-05-2014, 06:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
RP
Old 09-05-2014, 07:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by iruinedyourday [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
RP
Yea you got those woodwise skills...
Closed Thread