Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 06:34 AM
Sarnak

I rarely play my 2 50+'s there are a few 20-30 I'm playin atm.. I'm pretty casual these days.
I'm playin on kunark at the moment, tons of people 20-30
Blueskin - 23 enchanter
Greacenthe - 22 wizard
Old 12-10-2014, 10:42 AM
Planar Protector

I rarely run out of mana on my Mage because I try to pick the right level of DB mob to kill and let the Fire Pet on average do ALL the damage. I know you take a XP hit but a Fire pet can kill fast as hell so I don't see the need to sit and med for 8 minutes at a time. I hate that crap. And the XP is, I think, better than any other class in the game other than a Necro maybe. I think even better. They kill mobs fast. We are not talking a Paladin here lol.

I save my mana for when things go to crap, which they do on a Mage, because you have very little CC. Lets not sugar coat it, you have almost NO CC. I hardly ever use the Earth pet, but I must admit they have helped the agro out lately with the pets on the last few patches. So I suggest you keep enough mana at all times to gate, have a reasonable nuke memed, and maybe even enough to cast even a lower level pet to save your arse. Gate is your friend playing a Mage trust me. Learn how to bind in good spots or right at the ZL's.
Old 12-10-2014, 10:46 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by webrunner5 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I rarely run out of mana on my Mage because I try to pick the right level of DB mob to kill and let the Fire Pet on average do ALL the damage. I know you take a XP hit but a Fire pet can kill fast as hell so I don't see the need to sit and med for 8 minutes at a time. I hate that crap. And the XP is, I think, better than any other class in the game other than a Necro maybe. I think even better. They kill mobs fast. We are not talking a Paladin here lol.

I save my mana for when things go to crap, which they do on a Mage, because you have very little CC. Lets not sugar coat it, you have almost NO CC. I hardly ever use the Earth pet, but I must admit they have helped the agro out lately with the pets on the last few patches. So I suggest you keep enough mana at all times to gate, have a reasonable nuke memed, and maybe even enough to cast even a lower level pet to save your arse. Gate is your friend playing a Mage trust me. Learn how to bind in good spots or right at the ZL's.
What level is your mage? Wouldn't the pet need time to recover HP if you aren't chain summoning?
Old 12-10-2014, 11:10 AM
Sarnak

Also, as a mage without Jboots. Learn to strafe run, it will save your life multiple times.
Old 12-10-2014, 01:09 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkwinter [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
How is the group situation on blue? Is it pretty common to find other people at all level ranges?

I see about 900 people on for the past 2 nights, but are they all high level? If I can't find many groups, I will go necro for sure.
The group situation on Blue is that if you don't have an Epic Rogue or Fungi Monk you'll be hard up to find one.

You rarely see Necros grouped or LFG past level 50, and Mages are even more rare. People will not even let you into group because of the rampant class fanboyism on Blue. These days you either Monk/Rogue DPS your way to 60 (cause you get groups easy) or Chardok AOE a cleric or caster. Shamans mostly solo, Druids have the largest class population yet the lowest percentage of level 60s.

Having said that, many people who play Necro and Mage are awful at grouping and give them a bad name. Truth is lots of people are bad at EQ - you run into them all the time. A lot of people are mediocre or suck (and really don't give a shit) and a few people are good and fun to play with. It just takes a lot more knowledge of the game to contribute effectively to a group on a Mage or Necro than it does on a DPS class - 99% of Monks and Rogues just press 0 and faceroll, 99% of Clerics do nothing besides sit and click CH once in a while.

Necros and Mages are both excellent group classes when played well. They both are great at soloing as well. The funny thing is is that people run their mouths about how much these classes suck when they've never even grouped with them. I'm in dungeons every night and I pretty much never are Mages, and every Necro I see pretty much sucks. I do have friends who are excellent Mages and Necros, and its a blast to play with them.

As far as grouping is concerned, if you roll Necro or Mage expect a tough time finding groups as well as catching a ton of shit along the way. People talk about the Red community being toxic, but the i-buy-Call-of-Duty-every-year bluebie community is stupid to the point where people are hassled so much when they play odd classes to the point where they mostly quit and roll a Cleric. Blue is full of assholes, too - lets not kid ourselves here.
Old 12-10-2014, 01:30 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuljin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The group situation on Blue is that if you don't have an Epic Rogue or Fungi Monk you'll be hard up to find one.
Basically everyone wants to form that "standard" War/Mnk/Rog/Shm/Enc/Clr 6-man because they know they can faceroll their keyboards with that composition. As someone with a Mnk/War/Enc, it doesn't bother me much [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

The reality is that most of the time that group could get more XP by flipping the Shaman for a Mage or Necro, but without the shaman's security blanket of extra HP and slows everyone has to pay a bit more attention.
Old 12-10-2014, 03:30 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raev [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Basically everyone wants to form that "standard" War/Mnk/Rog/Shm/Enc/Clr 6-man because they know they can faceroll their keyboards with that composition. As someone with a Mnk/War/Enc, it doesn't bother me much [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

The reality is that most of the time that group could get more XP by flipping the Shaman for a Mage or Necro, but without the shaman's security blanket of extra HP and slows everyone has to pay a bit more attention.
I think the biggest issue is nobody wants to START groups, they only ever want to join a group of 5.
Old 12-10-2014, 07:27 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolanar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I think the biggest issue is nobody wants to START groups, they only ever want to join a group of 5.
Old 12-11-2014, 10:37 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolanar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What level is your mage? Wouldn't the pet need time to recover HP if you aren't chain summoning?
Doesn't matter what level, every level from level 4 to 49 pet takes a beating if doing blues. But if you sit them to heal up and maybe heal them once you are only on your butt 1 to 2 minutes not 8 if you nuke like hell or keep reclaiming.

I probably a little over exaggerated the no down time but is a lot less than burning down mobs like a Wizard lol. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] And by the time you find a single mob you can pull on average the pet has healed up anyways by its self. And by the way my Mage is 57. I am just too lazy to get it to 60, and will probably never have a epic for it. My Druid has been 54 for like 3 years and I am on it about every day Porting or PLing with it lol, and I have never even done any of the epic work because there is no way in hell I am going to pay that much for MQ's . On Live even back in the day I had 3 epic toons. I have NONE on here. High end XP is just a total Bitch to get as well as epics other than the Rogue and maybe Monk.. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 12-11-2014, 10:48 AM
Planar Protector

I spent most of my time soloing the Mage. I hardly ever am afk in a group because I mostly play healing classes, so you have to be there. But I have no clue why but have got a blast of shit a few times in groups because the pet was 2 seconds late or where is my DS, on and on. I have no clue why, but I just said the hell with it and use it solo 90% of the time.

Is a pretty good class to go solo with. They are a real challenge to break camps with but it is exciting even though you do die on them often if you really take chances. And you have to to get good loot. I know of hardly any good loot camp other than AC that really does not have a lot of high level mobs you have to kill to get to the one that drops the big one lol. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] I know there is some plat mobs to kill but I am talking items that sell for 3k and above. Because I totally suck at random rolls.
Closed Thread