Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 03-01-2017, 10:23 AM
Decaying Skeleton

Default Druid v Wizard

Hello all.

I am returning to this game after briefly playing lord knows how long ago, and I want to roll either a Druid or a Wizard because I'd like to play a porting class. I've also never tried quad kiting before, but it looks fun, so I want to try that is well. Is there a preferred choice between the two? I know Druid will have a much easier time starting out, and will have sow, but I don't mind putting in the labor early on if wizards surpasses them. Thanks!
Old 03-01-2017, 10:31 AM
Planar Protector

If you are in it strictly for porting than Druid all the way. If you want to try your hand at soloing and quad kiting to 60 then Druid. If you are looking to do end game raiding or fast leveling if you get a bard friend, then Wizard hands down.

Tupakk-57 Bard(Raid Whore)Afeni-45 Druid (Dial a Port Leadership) |Forums|Facebook| Lumumba-60 Rogue(DaP Security)/(Nocterma Member) & Department of Fun Promoter
Old 03-01-2017, 11:15 AM
Planar Protector

If you do NOT have a lot of EQ buddies, you may be soloing 99% of the time, as a wizard. Also, as a wizard, if you do not have SoW potions or JBoots, you will have a hard time. Unless you enjoy strafing away on every pull, you'll have a much easier time with a druid.

If you can afford twink items to help the survivability of the wizard, than blast away!
Old 03-01-2017, 12:00 PM
Aviak

If you want to end up raiding, Wizard.
If you want to be casual, and not wake up to batphones at 3am on work days to kill pixel monsters, Druid.

Both are undesirable in group situations.
Wizards are lackluster sustained DPS, Druids are lackluster heals.

I'm glad I went druid, there's a lot I can do solo at 60 with heals, charms, nukes, dots, pacify/harmony, etc. etc.
Wizards seem kinda corn holed on fun/soloable content once you are done leveling, quad kite or bust.
Old 03-01-2017, 12:00 PM
Planar Protector

Druid > all
Old 03-01-2017, 12:15 PM
Fire Giant

People make it sound like your only options as a wizzy/porter are to solo or join DaP. I can't speak for other guilds but we would love to have more druids (that don't leave for DaP at 34) and wizzies. Maybe they aren't the most min/max friendly classes but druids offer great flexibility and the option to travel and port out of places like The Hole, Droga, HS etc...is very convenient. We actually took a 41 druid deep into the Hole last night just to be able to port some people out. We also could use more wizzies for porting up to Sky and Hate.

If you do decide on either of those you are welcome to apply to Vita! We encourage class diversity and playing whatever is the most fun as opposed to the best min/max option (nothing wrong with min/maxing, either). We also do a lot of grouping together as a guild so you can expect guild groups.
Old 03-01-2017, 12:28 PM
Sarnak

Go druid. I'm a 22 wizard and leveling it up. I'm finding that everyone outdmgs me. Warrior is crippling for 202 every 4-5th hit. I'm nuking for 175 and getting all the agro, even after mob is under half health. Mage's nuke for 19 less dmg than me yet has a pet that dbl attacks for 19dmg. Even the pally out dps me. So yeah. Go druid. At least you can heal, nuke, buff, snare, and port. Where as I can do subpar dmg and port. If i remember right wizards take off when they can crit nuke. But that won't happen here.

Just my 2c.
Old 03-01-2017, 12:33 PM
Planar Protector

Druids have far more utility, wizards are better nukers. As others have said already, the only time the better nuking really matters is when you're raiding.

Basically ...

Both:

* can nuke
* can port
* can solo

Druids:

* can heal
* can charm (this is HUGE for leveling)
* can SoW
* can track

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 03-01-2017, 01:29 PM
Planar Protector

Druid

Easier to level up. As a druid, prior to 50 you will find groups fairly well, it's not till 50+ groups start to look for other classes to fill more defined roles.

Druid also has a lot more variety in what they can do. They get damage shields and regen, they can PL people and help noobs with more than just their ports. Druids get Spirit of Wolf for run speed boost.

Druids get charm which is big on p99, it really opens up a lot of leveling opportunities.

Druids can quad kite for an efficient levleing method when solo.

In groups druids tend to fall behind other classes because other classes simply do everything the druid can do better. Other healing classes offer better heals and better utility. Other DPS classes offer more efficient DPS than the druid. There's just limited times when a druid would fill a spot better than other classes due to them being more of a jack-of-all-trades and master of none.

Wizard

I honestly think the only way a person sticks with a wizard is if they simply love the class and the motif that surrounds it. Wearing robes, nuking mobs with hard hitting powerful spells and enjoying a more varied portal destination set is what the wizard is about.

Wizards can port people without having to actually port there themselves with translocations. They also can send someone to their bind spot.

Wizards can solo well with quad kiting once they get their snare spell. I personally seen a wizard that would pull 8 mobs and manage to kite and quad them easily with his tool kit.

In groups, wizards are good to burn mobs down fast, but their damage is not consistent as they have to sit and med constantly before unloading their nukes. That's why many people prefer melee dps or a pet class because they provide constant damage whereas a wizard does not.
Old 03-01-2017, 11:06 PM
Fire Giant

Now that you have chosen to play either one of the second rate classes, you have to ask yourself: Would I want to yield a leaf blower or a cattle prod?
Closed Thread