Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 07:47 PM
Planar Protector

I might take a wizard over a druid if I already had a bard/enc. It's nice to have a disposable class that can root mezzed mobs.

Out of the two I'd generally prefer the druid though. I'd be unlikely to pick either as a dps slot in proverbial hotzones though. Unless nice animal is to hand.
Last edited by Jimjam; 03-02-2017 at 07:52 PM..
Old 03-02-2017, 08:10 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDawg816 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
That's not accurate. If the group is going somewhere the druid can charm, they will be way better dps. Also, wizard dps isn't great, so a lot of groups would take the druid since they have buffs and can also snare (and even harmony is helpful.)

I personally enjoy playing and grouping with wizards, but they are not picked over druids as much as you claim.
That's true but in all honesty I am thinking of while leveling up. This guy is starting out new.

Maybe at 60 a druid holding charm for dps is viable, but how many charm spots do you know of for druids below 60 where a group will invite a druid to hold a charm? I can't think of any.
Old 03-02-2017, 08:12 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I might take a wizard over a druid if I already had a bard/enc. It's nice to have a disposable class that can root mezzed mobs.

Out of the two I'd generally prefer the druid though. I'd be unlikely to pick either as a dps slot in proverbial hotzones though. Unless nice animal is to hand.
I'm sure there are plenty of high level groups in the bear caves.
Old 03-02-2017, 08:16 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinned [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The lower levels are excruciating though. Lol. Druid is definitely a lot easier. But do you want to be an Int caster or do you want to be a Wis caster? There is a big difference, not just in aesthetics but in function. Do you want to heal or nuke?

Plus the various stuns, AE snares, roots, you can do a lot in a group.
I haven't seen a Druid stun anything lately, that's for sure. You can be a Cleric's best friend as a Wizard by saving his manna interrupting nasty MoB nukes. I also find the ultra-long duration stuns like Markar's Clash deal with low-hp runners very well, sometimes saving the group a wipe. I'm always surprised people don't mention the great stun line Wizards get, or use them for that matter.

I also like the point Skinned made about INT vs. WIS. I'm not sure what the economy is like on Blue server but I'd guess that Intelligence gear is easier to obtain than Wisdom gear, usually giving larger + bonuses and bigger manna = bigger damage!
Old 03-02-2017, 08:21 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lhancelot [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
That's true but in all honesty I am thinking of while leveling up. This guy is starting out new.

Maybe at 60 a druid holding charm for dps is viable, but how many charm spots do you know of for druids below 60 where a group will invite a druid to hold a charm? I can't think of any.
Kill a shaman, charm its pet. Works in many zones. Not great dps, but better than nowt!
Old 03-03-2017, 12:29 AM
Fire Giant

I did not know quadding 8 blue targets was a big deal? Ive done this in both dreadlands and in cobalt scar with no epic or lumi staff. Just round up four or five as normal and as you run around keep adding new mobs in and nuking the group so you always have at least 4 to hit. Got to have lev and wolf form. put click dot on every mob you pull whenever you get a chance. Obviously avoid casters. med when you can. I've only attempted this on blue (or less) mobs.
Old 03-03-2017, 12:42 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanol [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I haven't seen a Druid stun anything lately, that's for sure.
Druids can cast stun spells but only outside [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

And its true from about 54-59 its hard to find a group sometimes, but you can always solo or duo.
Old 03-03-2017, 12:11 PM
Fire Giant

I have always loved druids.

You can port, solo, powerlevel, heal, they are awesome.
Old 03-03-2017, 12:19 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expediency [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I did not know quadding 8 blue targets was a big deal? Ive done this in both dreadlands and in cobalt scar with no epic or lumi staff. Just round up four or five as normal and as you run around keep adding new mobs in and nuking the group so you always have at least 4 to hit. Got to have lev and wolf form. put click dot on every mob you pull whenever you get a chance. Obviously avoid casters. med when you can. I've only attempted this on blue (or less) mobs.
It's not a big deal, but the epic wizard lvl 60 was confused as to what I had written earlier so I wanted to clarify it.

Once the wizard hits level 54 quadding becomes extremely efficient for the wizard, far more than the druid.

54 level wizard quad spell: Pillar of Lightning - Area Effect Magic Based Direct Damage (848 max per mob), cost is 344 mana.

49 level druid quad spell: Lightning Blast - Area Effect Magic Based Direct Damage (477 max per mob), cost is 234 mana.

At 54 lvl, on my druid I was quadding with Lightning Blast, the last quad spell the druid gets.

I enjoy druids, I have two druids. Obviously I like playing druids more than wizards, but pretending the druid does everything better than a wizard is disingenuous.

I agree the druid would be the easier class to level up and grants more flexibility in gameplay but obviously some people enjoy the smaller niche the wizard fills or there would be no wizards.

Maybe this guy is one of those people who'd enjoy a wizard more, who knows?

GL OP on your decision! Both classes have their own charm.
Old 03-03-2017, 01:44 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lhancelot [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

At 54 lvl, on my druid I was quadding with Lightning Blast, the last quad spell the druid gets.

I enjoy druids, I have two druids.

http://wiki.project1999.com/Fist_of_Karana