Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Server Issues > Bugs

Old 11-16-2022, 10:51 PM
Fire Giant

I'd caution that anecdotal writings of being summoned, could be just idiots confusing or conflating the phase proc nonsense.

But also fuck bards, make them all summon. Add summmons to every other bard swarm zone too.
Old 11-17-2022, 12:32 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solist [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'd caution that anecdotal writings of being summoned, could be just idiots confusing or conflating the phase proc nonsense.

But also fuck bards, make them all summon. Add summmons to every other bard swarm zone too.
I did a full analysis on the logs I have, despite nearly 100 various log files, I only have 34 documented Phase Spider kills.

The most I have in a single DN session is 8 kills in 1 log file. I wouldn't exactly call that conclusive, but its certainly curious... One may assume the main tank got phased somewhere in the 34 fights and if spider was high enough level would have immediately been summoned back (although rumor has it they couldn't phase pets).

This exchange is quite curious:
[Wed Jan 23 23:10:32 2002] Daarksun shouts, '-- a phase spider -- is incoming!'
[Wed Jan 23 23:10:32 2002] Daarksun tells the group, '-- a phase spider -- is incoming!'
[Wed Jan 23 23:10:35 2002] You told Zeophyle, 'dunno... never been in'
[Wed Jan 23 23:10:37 2002] A phase spider bites Tenril for 157 points of damage.
[Wed Jan 23 23:10:37 2002] A phase spider bites Tenril for 157 points of damage.
[Wed Jan 23 23:10:37 2002] Tenril fades away.
[Wed Jan 23 23:10:37 2002] A phase spider bashes Tenril for 57 points of damage.

[Wed Jan 23 23:10:38 2002] Daarksun begins to cast a spell.
[Wed Jan 23 23:10:38 2002] Karrion shouts, 'assing daarksun'
[Wed Jan 23 23:10:38 2002] Karrion pierces a phase spider for 28 points of damage.
[Wed Jan 23 23:10:38 2002] Karrion pierces a phase spider for 27 points of damage.
[Wed Jan 23 23:10:39 2002] A phase spider doubles over in pain.
[Wed Jan 23 23:10:39 2002] A phase spider bites Daarksun for 157 points of damage.
[Wed Jan 23 23:10:39 2002] A phase spider bites Daarksun for 123 points of damage.
[Wed Jan 23 23:10:39 2002] Daarksun fades away.
[Wed Jan 23 23:10:40 2002] Karrion slashes a phase spider for 11 points of damage.
[Wed Jan 23 23:10:40 2002] Karrion slashes a phase spider for 18 points of damage.
[Wed Jan 23 23:10:40 2002] Hufflepuff slashes a phase spider for 12 points of damage.
[Wed Jan 23 23:10:40 2002] Hufflepuff slashes a phase spider for 20 points of damage.
[Wed Jan 23 23:10:40 2002] Karrion kicks a phase spider for 5 points of damage.
[Wed Jan 23 23:10:41 2002] Hufflepuff slashes a phase spider for 33 points of damage.
[Wed Jan 23 23:10:41 2002] Karrion pierces a phase spider for 33 points of damage.
[Wed Jan 23 23:10:41 2002] A phase spider was pierced by thorns.
[Wed Jan 23 23:10:41 2002] A phase spider bites Keirith for 157 points of damage.
[Wed Jan 23 23:10:41 2002] Zeophyle tells you, 'well time to find out'
[Wed Jan 23 23:10:42 2002] You told Zeophyle, 'ask in OOC or shout for help getting though'
[Wed Jan 23 23:10:43 2002] A phase spider bites Daarksun for 140 points of damage.
[Wed Jan 23 23:10:43 2002] Daarksun fades away.

[Wed Jan 23 23:10:44 2002] Hufflepuff slashes a phase spider for 59 points of damage.
[Wed Jan 23 23:10:44 2002] Hufflepuff slashes a phase spider for 49 points of damage.
[Wed Jan 23 23:10:44 2002] Hufflepuff slashes a phase spider for 50 points of damage.[/QUOTE]

I show there were some phase spider bites for 151, 153, 155, 157 for max hits in a log file, that is at least a 4 level range. The fact that we see a 157 hit phase someone away yet not receive immediate summon message seems more like they shouldn't summon?

Someone mentioned having a live character to test DN spiders, if the level 51 spiders still exist there it would be best to agro the higher level ones and see if they summon after giving damage.

As you mention, perhaps phasing was misrepresented as summoning. It would 'make sense' that they wouldn't summon given the phase mechanic as it would eliminate a lot of the danger associated with phasing if you were immediately summoned back.

But as we know, not everything "makes sense" in classic EQ.
Old 11-17-2022, 07:25 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilbog [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I just did 5 minutes of research, and found quotes about summoning.

https://web.archive.org/web/20020827....shtml?id=5422
https://web.archive.org/web/20020302...&pg=2&sortby=2
If this is not legit, the change can be reverted. It was simply adding summoning to the level 51 variants of this npc.
Guess i found why they swapped lvl range from 51 to 52 towards 47 to 50 , most likely because this comment:
Quote:
Fix the lvl range! Reply... By: Anonymous
Posted @ Mon, May 27th 7:38 PM 2002 Score: Default[2.00]
I was there yesterday and decided to go see what was droped cause the only things i saw was blood =( and all were blue to me 51 warrior. very easy kill we were there with one group of 50-60's then the rest of our friends showed up and they went down even faster. one thing if you start to go OTM toward Jaled Dar's shades room make sure to tell everyone not to use AE's. if he gets hit he will DT you. happend to a dumb druid in our raid, heirophants croak proc three times from same spot, all three different times he died..so in the end, these are all dark blue to 51.

Ikorlon Darkscale
51 warrior
Druzzil-Ro
On the post one a guy also says in 2002: (after someone says it may summon you if above 50)

Quote:
RE: Fighting Phase spiders Reply... By: Anonymous
Posted @ Sun, Feb 17th 10:36 AM 2002 Score: Default[2.00]
As well as, I have never had one of these summon me.
just like the logs of Rygas showing a gate in 2003, thats a new one but out of era tho [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

we have contradictory statement but hey could be a nerf/update in between 2001 to 2002 and i am just trying to keep DN swarm alive, keeping bards there keep them away from other places at least.

afterall i believe blue is ready for some custom updates [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 11-17-2022, 10:00 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rygar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So I'll admit, I didn't happen to come across any 'summon messages' from phase spiders in the log files I collected over the years, but have some flavor text that i'm not completely sure is in P99 or not.

I'll do a better search later tonight, can parse the entire log file directory I have for any mobs that summon.
those are interesting and probably were in era... but based on the timestamps it wont be considered as evidence for an in-era update methinks.
Old 11-17-2022, 11:24 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rygar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I show there were some phase spider bites for 151, 153, 155, 157 for max hits in a log file, that is at least a 4 level range.
I revised some of the parsing I did, turns out I identified at least 5 different max hits: 149, 151, 153, 155, 157.

That would presumably corroborate stated range of level 47-51 if we take the in era comments as accurate.

This full range was documented in January 2002 with fade messages present on main tanks during a fight.

I also took a closer look at the kill data, I have probably more like 100 kills parsed in the logs, the 'slain' message isn't always visible (out of range?) but the "a phase spider's corpse is motionless, trapped in this reality. " often is visible where the slain message isn't.

I'm going to trust the logs as most accurate and assume the phase spider had some form of exception where they did not summon... or if they could, they may have had some weird mechanic where they wouldn't summon if they proc their shadow step on you (put summon timer on cooldown?) but could summon if you damage them then run to zone (would need to be proven on live if these things still exist).

Can ignore the gate messages I listed earlier in thread, seems later on they removed the phasing of players and added some weird spider gate mechanic.

I still maintain that:
-agro range should be increased
-run speed should be 'run speed 3' equivalent (slightly slower than jboots)
-should be highly resistant to movement speed decrease if not already (think I only saw 5 snares land in logs), there is anecdotal evidence mentioning this
Old 11-18-2022, 12:41 PM
Planar Protector

https://thedruidsgrove.org/archive/eq/t-3881.html

Quote:
Scirocco
07-31-2001, 12:53 PM
Quote:
Upper Floor MOBs
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Aside from the constructs you may trigger, you will see a ton of Phase Spiders on the upper floor. These are levels 49-52, and randomly teleport your group members a short distance away. This is bad if they land on traps. We dispatched 'em fairly quickly, though. They sometimes drop a Phase Spider Carapace (very nice piece of armor), or more frequenly, Phase Spider Blood (one charge of Improved Invisibility).
Quote:
Scirocco
07-31-2001, 01:02 PM
Quote:
Couple of points to add (have spent 50-100 hours hunting in DN)

Many of the spiders and rats are immune to snare and root (based on MoB lvl) rats will run so be ready to nuke hard at 1/4 life or there abouts. The bigger problem with this are the big snakes, goos, and bats they seem to run faster and sooner.

Beowolfe
Luclin

https://web.archive.org/web/20171201...eq/t-3868.html

Quote:
L1nd4r4
04-16-2002, 04:10 AM

I haven't fought IBs in a while but when I did snaring them had absolutly no effect on movement. Did this get changed when they fixed phase spiders and vellium hounds?
Old 11-18-2022, 09:32 PM
Fire Giant

Yeah I’m pretty well in the camp of “being summoned” is incorrect nomenclature being used by people in these evidence posts. They got punted away, wrote on allakhazam about it and short of having any other reference point except plane of fear where this mechanic exists, they just write summoned.

That said bards are disgusting on p99 and everything we can do to remove swarming should be done. Also can we make VP sow speed only. Bard class ruins the game.
Old 11-20-2022, 09:24 PM
Kobold

Sorry, there is no way these dudes summon. The only 'evidence' of this are three posts from people who are clearly newbies and in all likelihood confusing mechanics of the game they are unfamiliar with or only recently became familiar with and are accordingly attributing it to everything that moves you involuntarily.

Quote:
these have a nasty habbit of phasing you out within a certain distance, seems to only happen on random bites, but can be quite dangerous. as a caster i was summoned for overnuking, phased out next to another spider then summoned back, nice way to gather more unwanted spiders.
also makes it easy to ping pong the spiders when tanks get phased out.

btw, these are easily stunnable and that puts a pinch on their phasing
This guy thinks stuns are the best way to negate a melee proc lol. They doing chardok ae-esque 5 enc stunlock groups?

Quote:
as I was running back to zone to my life I must have sprung a trap cause all these little beetles came up and killed me along with the 2 spiders summoning me like mad back and forth. that's how I died.
according to this guy we should make these summon at 100%. sounds legit.

Quote:
Don't try pulling these a long distance cause they will teleport after you and they will summon aswell. oh yea and you can't use any speed altering spells on them, snare, darkness etc...hope this helps
this one is my favorite. here we see not only do we need to make them summon, but you also need to implement them teleporting TO you after you aggro them.

sorry boys, rygar's in-era logs are really the closest we have to evidence. these are just newbie anecdotal accounts. i would expect summoning to be removed with the next patch that hits in a year from now. hopefully by that time devs can muster an anticheat that detects symmetric or automatic input rather than the current approach of...nothing. power blocs on blue all populated with bots leveled with cheated xp for the last 6 years. unfortunate.

Quote:
submitted 6 years ago by _BrentAureli_

Hey guys, this question is regarding AOE Kiting(Swarm kiting to SOME) after lvl 54 with Selo's Assonant Strane(AOE Snare). I am having issues as there is no tutorials that I have found that discusses this. Once all the mobs are snared what is the technique that most people use? Do you turn on WALK? Do you walk backwards? Selo's or No Selo's? I notice some/most people either run around in a circle without looking at the pack, while others strafe run(literally just strafe, no forward key movement) while mouse turning around the mobs. Anyways, this just seems like a whole new tactic that is used frequently to PL, but rarely discussed. Does anyone have any info on this? It would be greatly appreciated!

p.s. I also notice some people running in nearly perfect circles? Are these people using keyboard macros/External programs/or just that skilled?
6 years of this at least. yeesh. thanks brent.
Old 12-16-2022, 06:19 PM
Orc

Probably best just to revert the change. You have bards swarming shit like velks entrance ruining it for grouping players.
Old 12-16-2022, 08:49 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solist [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Again... None of the 'evidence' says summons, it's very obvious this is a nomenclature confusion by newbs.

Keep the change for sure, fuck bards. Need to remove the entire class from p99 to be honest, but man what a terrible decision to make this change based on that garbage level of evidence.