Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Old 09-21-2022, 06:26 PM
Banned

Default Enc: Timing aoe stun to hit mob as it runs in

I’ve been charm soloing in cramped quarters lately, and breaking charm (I lack GGR so use old school invis) has been creating some challenges

Normally before I wouldn’t care and just break charm with the mob close to melee range. It would get a swing or two before I could stun->root->back up and nuke….but I wouldn’t mind much because at worst it would just chew off my non-rune damage absorb shield. And most of the time it couldn’t even do that before I stunned it

Now that I’m approaching level 55, some problems have arisen. For one, I have to keep both runes up 100% of the time for my own safety, including the one that requires an expensive component. When I break charm on higher level (50+) mobs, some of them duo-quad me for like multiple 120+ damage hits apiece before I can stun them. This not only chews off my free rune, but sometimes my component rune as well, especially when their bash lands and stuns me. I can’t keep having to re-apply my component rune after every charm break, that’s too expensive for me

So….workarounds have been to pet guard here plant the mob as far away as I can to give myself time to mez/root it as it runs in. This doesn’t always work because sometimes the terrain just doesn’t have any long stretches. I can’t plant them around a corner or in another room because I need line of sight to mez/root

So my other workaround has been to try to perfectly time my aoe stun as they close to melee range to where they get stunned the split second they get in range before they can swing. And thus far I’ve gotten it to where I can do it ~60% of the time, but it seems latency is preventing me from getting any higher success rate. Sometimes I was completely convinced I timed it perfectly, and it looked perfect, but the mob’s actual position due to latency was like a step behind and therefore my stun goes off and hits nothing, which is the worst possible outcome

Has anyone been able to always land the aoe stun as the mob closes but before it can swing? Or what other workarounds can there be to break charm in cramped rooms/corridors without getting hit?
Old 09-21-2022, 06:44 PM
Planar Protector

Just wait until bedlam. It’s a game changer will let you just slant + nuke to death.

For now if you’re struggling keep distance and use flux plus mez/root. Gob ring gonna help your reaction time so I’d def get that for breaks.

Good luck!
Last edited by Crede; 09-21-2022 at 06:46 PM..
Old 09-21-2022, 09:51 PM
Fire Giant

Are you not using a global cooldown item to cast your stun immediately after you break charm in super tight quarters? Mob shouldn't be able to get more than 1 round off on you.
Old 09-21-2022, 10:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Are you not using a global cooldown item to cast your stun immediately after you break charm in super tight quarters? Mob shouldn't be able to get more than 1 round off on you.
I do use GCD reset (rod)

1 round from these mobs seems to be enough to guarantee that not only berserker spirit buff is gone, but also that my rune 3/4 is either gone or mostly gone. If that round includes a successful bash, both runes for sure will be gone. I can reapply Rune, but I'm chewing through components here

I don't raid so still wearing all the loam stuff and budget cha gear, so my ac is crap but I don't think that really matters all that much. What seems to matter more for max mob damage % chance swings is my level relative to theirs. So when I'm killing exp greens and they swing on me, they usually do much less damage than their max. Their max might be like 96, but they'll often only hit me for like 44 because I'm significantly higher level than them. When I'm killing exp blues, they do tend to do their max when they hit me, which takes both runes off

And this is just at 54. I only see this getting worse, although I guess I'm hearing that bedlam will help a bit. I do have that banked (cost me my life savings), but still gotta wait a few more levs
Old 09-21-2022, 10:58 PM
Fire Giant

If you have range you can safety mez provided you are in a situation that the extra wait time for your charm to start swinging again is not detrimental

As for timing stun on a mob that is running it, that comes down to memory as well as latency, if you miss time it too early it will whiff and youll have wasted a stun, if you miss time it late well might get bashed or hit once... if your latency is bad then the mobs location might not be fully in sync with your timing anyway and might just come in and swing anyway

As Sizar asked need to make sure you are using a instant clicky to reset your spell gems every single cast for ENC.

ENC is a class that must chain cast, time is Everything to a enchanter, not only the time inbetween each different spell but often what they use as slot 1 is also important. ENC cannot wait for spell gems to allow you to cast between spells you must use a instant click after every cast so you can immediately start casting a different spell

After you get that under your belt any good ENC NEEDS to get comfortable with slot 1 being hot-swapped and not just (the spell I like to chain cast the most) and then knowledge of what spells can be instantly cast from memorization (no internal cooldown's) As the mem time for many important spells is non existent this will allow you to adapt to situations on the fly and more smoothly Re-rune when needed, calm and blur unwanted adds away (rather than just keeping them mezed if its getting too dicey) slowing mobs (most the time dont really need to keep slow on bar it mem's super fast, also usually only need to cast it once per NPC anyway)

Once you get good at all this all other caster classes will be EZ-mode for you ;D
Foxlich [60 Necromancer] Foxplosion [60 Wizard]
Foxstab [60 Rogue] /Foxcharming [60 Enchanter] / Foxfrenzy [60 Warrior]
Old 09-21-2022, 11:41 PM
Banned

I always use GCD reset. Rod is bound to Q so either a particular mob around me or myself are amiable as f**k, because I spam the reset too

[mob] looks amiable
[mob] looks amiable
[mob] looks amiable
[mob] looks amiable

For other people who spam GCD resets it’s probably that their feet are moving fast as F, or whatever the earring one is lol

Yeah I’m trying to remember what was unique about slot 1 because I took a long time off playing. Something about how it won’t change the fact the spell requires it’s recast to cast but swapping from slot 1 can shave a tiny portion of that recast off. I honestly don’t use slot 1 for swaps but can eventually make the switch someday

I was mostly posting this to get a gauge if there is anyone out there who has figured out the timing to always land aoe stun as the mob closes but before it can swing and it seems the consensus is no, and due to latency and the risk both of us have mentioned (whiffing the stun) it’s fairly risky to even continue trying
Old 09-21-2022, 11:45 PM
Banned

For reference my hotkey setup is the same as most chanters I see: stun, charm, mez, tash, ToT, free dmg absorb buff, root, swap slot (which I alternate here between slow, nukes, or invis)
Old 09-22-2022, 12:42 AM
Fire Giant

Slot 1 will allow you to begin casting the spell regardless of its refresh or (recast time) immediately. However when the spell casting is finished it will only work or (fire the spell) if the recast time has been met fully. If the Recast time has not been met when you finish the cast time you will get a (Spell is not ready) message

So in short it allows you to "START" casting sooner, and in cases where the spell can be chained it allows you to cast certain spells at a much faster rate due to this

Many spells cast time exceeds their recast time, and can be spammed back to back in slot1. Allowing you to get more CC out faster (Mez, root), or faster attempts and slow
Foxlich [60 Necromancer] Foxplosion [60 Wizard]
Foxstab [60 Rogue] /Foxcharming [60 Enchanter] / Foxfrenzy [60 Warrior]
Old 09-22-2022, 04:10 AM
Planar Protector

You're level 55 and charming level 50+ mobs?

You're punching above your weight. Slow down, young grasshoppa.

Level 58 is a big one once you get Bedlam. Always keep that "above" your Rune 5 and it should largely prevent you from chewing through too many peridots.

Where are you soloing currently?
Old 09-22-2022, 04:40 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxigen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You're level 55 and charming level 50+ mobs?
That's what caught my eye as well. You should always be aiming for the lowest possible level of mob to achieve what you want to achieve. Level 51 or higher level mobs will often be very tough to manage, even in the best of circumstances as they normally summon.

In Alice in Wonderland, camping A4 I will almost never charm A1 (lvl 51) mobs because they are too unwieldy. Instead I will charm the invisible dudes in the main room. I think they are around lvl 46-48 and the difference is significant. Of course they are lower damage out put but they don't summon and I die much less frequently than when I thought I had to charm A1 mobs. Occasionally though, when someone is camping blam sticks, I have no choice. When I then do charm A1 mobs then I will often break charm with recant magic to ensure I dispell their haste.