Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Old 11-18-2022, 12:42 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by long.liam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Game changing? Is just a dot. A slow 15 dps dot. It's not really that Amazing. Monk, Rogue. You still do damage without an epic. The Epic doesn't double the damage you do, but even that wouldn't be that good. I mean it depends on your previous weapon setup, but at most you're getting maybe 10 - 20% more dps depending on Mob level and AC. Not that great really. Warriors can still generate pretty decent aggro without the Epic. Lots of then do, because it's so hard to get. They do just fine without it though. Small increase in damage does not equal game changing to me.
At one point during the clusterfuck of the luclin launch, the Shaman epic got a strange accidental change -- the splurt dot became a heal. IT was truly the greatest time to be a shaman until PoTime slow stick but it only lasted a patch or 2. I still remember watching the luclin skeletons attack with this one hand karate chop -- they didn't even have animation for dual wielding, just faster right hand chopping. I miss retarded patching making something awesome temporarily once in a while.
Old 11-28-2022, 08:52 PM
Fire Giant

I'm personally a big fan of epic weapons, I think they're pretty epic. Hell, I even homebrewed my epic shaman in D&D.
Old 11-28-2022, 09:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solist [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yet the rogue epic is one of 4 (ragebringer, swiftwind, celestial fist, staff of 4) that never ever gets replaced. Even with full BIS and vyemm+mrylokar offhand, you swap in RB for backstabs. We can get by without any other epic and be pretty effective, even without cleric epics we’d make do. Every other class replaces theirs or doesn’t use at all or isn’t too heavily affected by not using it.

They’re all nice to have though for various reasons and scenarios.
I don't know how realistic it would be to get these items on P99 during Kunark / before Velious, or how many players may have had access to them when the game launched back in the day.

But I was able to experiment with a lot of weapons over on TLP and discovered that a Rogue with a Razor Sharp Short Sword and Feverblade will easily out-damage a Rogues who were using Ragebringers. Granted I had a PoSKY belt which had 41% haste on it, and IDK if Feverblade procs the same on P99, but I swear to God it was proc'ing every 2 seconds.

My point though was that it made me question whether or not some of the best geared Rogues during Kunark replaced their Ragebringers before Velious came out. (I understand you could still swap Ragebringer in for more backstab damage, but I wasn't aware of the fact that RSSS and FB did insane damage prior to experimenting with them).
Old 11-28-2022, 10:02 PM
Fire Giant

That doesn’t sounds right at all, the DPS is similar but the RB also gives +40 attack that affects both weapons. I guess if you get chain procs it’s possible but you’ll be dead due to agro at that point, lol.
Old 11-28-2022, 10:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattydef [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
That doesn’t sounds right at all, the DPS is similar but the RB also gives +40 attack that affects both weapons. I guess if you get chain procs it’s possible but you’ll be dead due to agro at that point, lol.
That's another thing I wonder about too, maybe it's just different because of the fact that it was TLP. I was swapping in a Rabid Chokidai Fang for backstabs (with the bandolier system it's completely effortless and you won't even notice you're weapon swapping), but my parses would be a lot higher than Rogues who were main handing a Ragebringer.

I actually just remembered though, it probably is completely different on TLP. Like on TLP, a slow-offhand isn't good. The weapon delay is normalized for both hands or something? So a lot of decent off-hands from original EQ that were super slow end up being terrible items over on TLP... if I had remembered this I prob wouldnt have even brought this up, lol
Old 11-28-2022, 10:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattydef [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Also IDK if it's like this on P99, but on TLP, double backstabs were rare, but I played a Rogue 20+ years ago and I thought he double backstabbed every time? Like that actually kind of annoyed me on TLP. Also a ton of mobs see through invis, it's almost useless until PoP comes out and they get an AA that makes stealth work everywhere.