Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 02-26-2020, 10:38 PM
Aviak

Default Starting fresh on blue under Linux - Mouse problem

Hi all,

I have not played this game in 10 years and I want to give it a fresh start on blue.
I am installing the game under Linux and everything is working great. At least for everything beside the mouse.

When I use the mouse to right click to move the camera, when I reach the edge of the screen my camera move all 360 degree soooo fast. This is not normal (at least under windows turning around using the mouse move smoothly) and wanted to see if there was other player running under Linux and if they had this problem and maybe a fix.

Side question1: What resolution you run the game at? My display is 1920x1080 and I am running the game as 1600x900. But the UI and text is so small.
Side question2: Do you recommand any ui or sidetool for everquest?
Old 02-27-2020, 01:02 AM
Planar Protector

I haven't seen that specifically, but I'd recommend trying winecfg.

Go to the graphics tab and you'll see some checkboxes at the top. Try playing with allowing the window manager to control windows (or not) and emulate a virtual desktop (set the resolution to the eq resolution) or not.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 02-27-2020, 08:55 AM
Aviak

Hi Loramin,

Thanks for the input.
Did you follow a guide when you first installed?

I am running the game under Lutris. Pretty much did a fresh install and put in the "Project 1999 Patch Files (V53). " and hit play.
Do you play fullscreen or windowed?
Old 02-27-2020, 09:53 AM
Aviak

I will need to figure out how to capture the mouse when I use Lutris.
If I use wine from the cli without Lutris. I can get the mouse to be capture as configured in winecfg.
And it work perfectly. Then I can just use the windows key if I was to get out and use a browser for instance.
Old 02-27-2020, 12:15 PM
Planar Protector

I've never used Lutris (or a guide), but it looks like it's just a front-end, and it still probably uses WINE "under the hood". But it might use its own WINE configuration or something /shrug

As for full screen vs. windowed, I get the best of both with "full screen windowed mode" (ie. windowed mode, but I adjust the resolution to fill the screen): http://wiki.project1999.com/User_Interface_Enhancements

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 02-27-2020, 03:06 PM
Aviak

Thanks for your time and help Loramin.

Turns out I needed to add "emulate virtual desktop" under winecfg.
Also needed to uncheck "Allow the window manager to control the windows" under winecfg.

It then work perfectly fine either direct from CLI or from Lutris.

I will now spend some time to check the wiki page you sent.
And try to see if there are other wiki page that are interesting to keep in mind.
After that I will look if I want to use a UI like Duxa or QQui.

Many thanks again for your time and help !
Old 02-27-2020, 05:27 PM
Planar Protector

No problem, hope you enjoy P99 (on Linux [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.])

Old 02-29-2020, 01:09 PM
Aviak

Hello again.

I am indeed enjoying P99!
I mostly have been messing around creating character and running through different city just for the fun. I will start levelling soon(If I can figured if I start on green or blue). I wanted to see again those city etc.

There is 2 problem I have left.
The first one was midi sound were not playing and I found a solution to that.
The second problem, I have no solution for now. When I change zone, sometimes the game crash.

Would you happen to know of that problem?
Old 02-29-2020, 01:39 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nokio [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Side question1: What resolution you run the game at? My display is 1920x1080 and I am running the game as 1600x900. But the UI and text is so small.
You can't do anything about the buttons and other ui elements, but you can use /chatfontsize to make the chat text bigger or smaller as you like.
Old 02-29-2020, 04:17 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nokio [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The second problem, I have no solution for now. When I change zone, sometimes the game crash.

Would you happen to know of that problem?
I don't, but first of all:

A) it's an old game, so even under the best of circumstances it will still crash every now and then when you zone

B) in my experience many issues are graphics driver related, so I'd try playing with different versions of both the open source and proprietary drivers until you find one that works well

Closed Thread