Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 06-07-2016, 04:33 AM
Fire Giant

Default Is it worth it?

For some reason today I was reminiscing about the good ol days of EQ and started watching some youtube videos and found out that this 99 server was a thing, and it really sparked an interest in me. I'm now I'm debating with myself if it's something I want to get into.

I was a hardcore player in the pre luclin days. I had a top tier raiding bard and did pretty much everything available at the time. I don't have it in me to get to that level of commitment again, but i wouldn't mind running through the dungeons and zones of old for fun times sake.

The main thing is that I'm living in Japan, so i'm wondering what the average person's timezone is, and if I'm going to have issues finding groups and such if i'm an odd ball schedule? I figure i could swing a few hours of playtime most weekdays, and maybe a few weekends as well, but when it's 5pm here, it's 1am on the west coast. Right now it looks like there's 590 people playing, which seems ok, but i'm not sure about the level ranges and all that.

With only a few hours here and there to play, i'd probably end up taking forever to amount to anything, but i'm not too concerned with that. And I'd probably have to choose a class that is more tailored to soloing.

I dunno, I guess as this point i'm just thinking out loud. it sounds like something i'm potentially interested in, and I feel like i'm old enough now to control my addictive tendencies, lol. But I wonder, am i just being nostalgic and remembering the good times?
Old 06-07-2016, 11:38 AM
Sarnak

Hey, I was in a similar situation. Back in the days I was in a Progression guild on a European Server, playing 8-12h per day after School. When I started playing p99, I didn't have that much time (not even close to), but I played a few evenings under the week, maybe 10h per week overall.

It was a very refreshing experience and I had some nostalgia chills. However, I got to lvl 53 (and some other chars around 30s/40s) untill I realized that I've trouble enjoying EQ when I can't compete with the hardcore players and quit.

I often surf the Forums now and in some very dark moments I even login, but I'm very confident that I will lose the motivation soon. Leveling and gearing is super slow if you only play a few days per week and only for a couple of hours, especially if you prefer Group play and have to calculate time to find a Group.

However, I wouldn't say I regret spending some time here. Running around in Oasis, grouping in SolB - as I said, some pretty neat nostalgia chills in there for you.

Population wise: as stated above, I'm from Europe and I often found people to play with. There are enough hardcore nerds in the US to play during the night or instead of working in the day - so their playtime will be a match for yours [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 06-07-2016, 12:35 PM
Kobold

I would look at the more solo-friendly classes (Shaman, Druid, Necro, Mage) and jump right in!

I only play about 3-10 hours a week depending on my schedule, and I love it. It does take a decent amount of time for major landmark moments (it took me about 2 months to get to lvl 30 on my new SK) but It is super satisfying and fun once you get there.

Just be aware that the pace of the game is very slow if not played no-life neckbeard level. If I have time off or am working from home, it really is fun to no-life it and spend an entire day playing p1999 like I used to back in 1999/2000 era.
Last edited by Xap; 06-07-2016 at 12:40 PM..
Old 06-07-2016, 12:43 PM
Planar Protector

It seems as though the original poster should enjoy P1999 just fine. For me, at least, my enjoyment of Project1999 isn't dependent on nostalgia at all--I like the game on its own merits. At this point I've spent more time playing P1999 than "original" Everquest (note my join date). If you're worried about grouping, you're correct to want to pick a class with some solo capability so you can handle things on your own if you need to. There's no reason not to give it a go--it doesn't cost you anything and if you decide not to stick it out you're not out anything except a bit of your time.

Project 1999, in spite of having a strong population by emulator standards, has a relatively low population compared to historic EQ servers. Due to P1999's age the population also feels somewhat top-heavy. Pick-up leveling groups exist, even during off-hours, but they mostly tend to stick to a typical path of leveling zones. Venturing off that path will usually require you to either bring your own group or go solo.

Danth
Old 06-07-2016, 01:50 PM
Kobold

Have you ever read a book twice because it was so good?
Everquest is a vast world, if you truly enjoy it, then picking it up for an hour or three here or there is enough. And there will always be players on, there are several guilds that play on different time zones. Sounds more like you are struggling with opening Pandoras Box and awakening the EQ addict.
Old 06-07-2016, 02:17 PM
Large Bat

A few days ago, I was in a similar situation, and I feel like our backgrounds are fairly similar, so I'll chime in.

The subject line was "Is it worth it?" - Danth addressed that: it's free, and we all have time that we're going to waste anyway on some leisure activity that gives us satisfaction in the moment. Costs/risks: some dashed hopes that the game wasn't as fun as you've chosen to remember it? awakening some old addiction?

Ultimately, I thought about the best memories I had of EQ (and gaming, in general) and I decided that there were some good times still to be had, so I took the plunge. We'll see if I'm still into it as summer turns into fall, but for now, I'm having a blast.
Old 06-07-2016, 02:52 PM
Fire Giant

id suggest just give the server a try out and see if it feels right to you. many people play at all different hours of the day.
Old 06-07-2016, 03:44 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

I realized something interesting when I first started out on P99: without a monthly subscription fee, there is nothing making me do this fast. I don't have to play a certain # of hours per month to make it "worth it." There is no rush. It could take months, or years, just to level-up or skill-up. Or to get decent equipment. And that is OK.

Like you, I certainly don't have the amount of time I used to. I have other responsibilities and priorities in life. Grouping might be a little bit tough in the off-hours - I am level 24 and often only 40-60 people within a two-level range of me during peak hours. Even zones with a lot of traffic are empty from time to time, and some zones are empty all the time. I have wanted to go to the Gorge of King Xorbb for a while but there's just never anybody there.

Take your time, make friends - it will be fun.
Old 06-07-2016, 03:51 PM
Planar Protector

Given the price of the P99 subscription, just make an account and see for yourself.

I give you 10 minutes before you're hooked and your life is fucked for at least a year.
Old 06-07-2016, 06:34 PM
Fire Giant

I spent some time reading through these forums last night, and it’s making want to play more. I understand that it’s going to take for freaking ever to get anywhere with my current schedule, but I’m hoping this is one of those “journey is the destination” things. My plan is to pick a class that’s comfortable soloing, but would be welcome in a group or duo/trio. Log in for a few hours here after work or on a hungover Sunday morning type playstyle. Hopefully meet some folks along the way. I don't see myself ever getting to the point of raiding or anything "hardcore".

So now I’ll ask another common question. Omg, what should I be!? My nostalgia says play a bard again, but I don’t have the attention span anymore. I’m going back and forth between necro, druid, and enchanter. I played a necro to somewhere around 30 back in the day, and I remember burning out, but maybe that’s because I was playing too much. I have no real experience playing a druid or enchanter, but that makes them intriguing. I remember thinking enchanters were lame as hell when I played (no offense), but now I realize that I was just young and stupid and that the class has some very unique abilities. Druid seems like a safe bet as well, feels like a good middle ground. I'd like to be self sufficient, but not an outcast.

Iksar necro, gnome chanter, or halfling druid? Hmmm hmmm hmmmmm
Closed Thread