Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Closed Thread

Old 08-01-2016, 12:11 AM
Fire Giant

Managed to get to level 34, so I'm hoping to try out unrest tonight if it's open. I've never actually been there before, but I assume it's going to be sorta obvious where the hag tower is - the highest point in the castle that has hags in it?

I did some soloing in TOFS near the zone in, but that all came to a halt when I killed a skele and a yellow con gnoll spawned on top of its corpse. Also had a bit of fun charming the cougars in iceclad, but they run at sow speed so charm breaks were a bit more hectic. But I did like that I could kill a few, find a safe spot, and afk while I do shit around the house.

The FV cartographer also sounds intriguing. I love a good backstab pet, and with a druid/necro/wiz/anything with snare, I bet he wrecks shop.

Appreciate all the ideas. Seems like the grind has really kicked in now that I'm into my 30's.
Old 08-01-2016, 04:58 AM
Fire Giant

gave hags a shot. didn't really like it. I think i was in the right spot, the tower in the back with two hag spawns. Only there was a third skele spawn in the room, which made it screwy. If it was just two hags i'd be golden having them beat each other up, but then we thats all done i'm still left with this mezzed skele. I can burn it down with root and nukes, but that wastes considerable mana. Am i missing something or do i just suck?
Old 08-01-2016, 05:20 AM
Sarnak

There is a wandering mob outside who goes up and down the stairs you should be using to kill the one in the center of the room. They are both on a 22 minute timer and the hags on a 6 minute timer.
Old 08-01-2016, 09:39 AM
Fire Giant

Ahhhh, thanks.

I only killed em once and bailed out. Figured they were on the same timer and didn't want to deal with the three spawn again. And it's scary in there =P.

Went out to FV though and had a lot of success with a druid and a charmed cartographer. Will prolly hang here a level or two and go back to hags to learn the spawn and get some redemption.
Old 08-01-2016, 09:53 AM
Planar Protector

That center spawn is the spot that can be a named shadowknight NPC. He's the only one you probably want to use a pet to kill, except to break. Once the hags are broken it is easier to just mez, tash, root, nuke them down as soon as they spawn so that they don't have a chance to buff. If you alternate (using a clicky for faster spell gem reset) between a big nuke and a smaller nuke you probably will interrupt a lot of the hags' attempts to cast on you, plus with magic resist buff and shielding spell line you should resist a lot of their spells fairly well. Don't be afraid to use rampage line and rune III. Don't be afraid to be using 2 or even 3 of your nukes so you can chain them and keep interrupting casts while also doing damage; sure chaos flux or sanity warp isn't as mana efficient as anarchy but the interrupts and killing ASAP are vital when fighting there, moreso than a bit better mana use just casting anarchy.

IIRC when I've done the room I just stayed right inside the tower once it was broken, killed each hag as they spawned, and when the middle mob respawned as a named you can use the pather outside the tower to kill it. You can stagger the spawns in the tower so that you should be able to keep up with the spawns to keep everything dead before they have time to respawn and self buff. If you get a bad streak of resists or you get messed up from nukes landing you can always back out using invis or IVU to stay safe-ish and then break the room again using charm. Don't be afraid to charm a pet and let it die while you're breaking the room. Sure you lose out on XP from killing your pet but it's far preferable to let your a pet (or two) die and then finish off the other one for full XP (preferably after mezzing it and waiting a bit to stagger respawns) and then you've got the room broken than it is to mess around trying to get full xp for your pet and die or have to zone and med up and still have the room unbroken.

That tower is definitely a bit of a hectic spot until you've got a feel for breaking and keeping it broken. There's also a huge difference in how easy it is if you are 34 or if you are 36+... lulls are more reliable for breaking the room more safely and without needing to sacrifice pets, your nukes basically won't ever resist with tash, you'll tend to resist a few more of the stuns/magic nukes from the hags, etc.

I'm actually not sure if I ever did the tower as a chanter... I think I've only done it with a couple different clerics. But if a poorly-twinked cleric can do that room from 34-40 for amazing XP then I'm positive a chanter, using the right methods, can do even better there. Cleric has a bit better firepower because of the undead nukes' resist mod, and cleric has full array of resist buffs, and cleric can use DA/DB to eat HT and/or train out... but the cleric isn't able to break as safely because of low charisma for lulling, the cleric can't charm to aid in breaking, the cleric lacks that extra mana regen from clarity which is really clutch for keeping spawns down as soon as they respawn, and the cleric's nukes don't interrupt spellcasts.

IIRC you can sit in the room itself without aggroing a spawn on the opposite side of the room at 34+?
Last edited by Tecmos Deception; 08-01-2016 at 10:01 AM..
Old 08-02-2016, 02:26 PM
Aviak

I used to come right to the door where 2 hags and a named/ph spawn, and wait for the corridor roamer to come and walk away. Then open the door, target both hags and cast Calm on them, one after another. If resisted and they aggro (only happened once in 6 levels there) I just bolt to the window to fall from the tower and haul ass to the zone.

Cast lvl 4 mez on the middle spawn, tash and charm it, then use it to kill one or even both hags. Finish the middle spawn and time it for 22 minutes for the named or ph to spawn. Sit on the bench where last dead hag was spawned, and wait for the opposite one to spawn.

It goes really fast, once a hag pops, mez, root, nuke, nuke. Go to the opposite side and kill 2nd hag. When a ph or named spawns and you're fighting already, just Entrance it and finish later. I didn't bother with the 4th mob that roams (usually a skel or hag), as I didn't want to risk being oom fighting the other 3 room spawns.

Keep illusion Troll on for extra regen and use Rune III/Berserker spirit liberally. This camp is very easy once understood and gives kickass semi-AFK exp. Also I never bothered tashing except when I had to charm and break the camp initially. Anarchy never resisted, or maybe once-twice in a thousand casts.

At lvl 39 get Illusion: Spirit wolf and become indifferent to the whole zone. Granted hags turn green at 39 but still give decent exp up to 40.
Closed Thread