Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Closed Thread

Old 08-31-2016, 03:49 AM
Fire Giant

Default Chanter Guard Charming

I'm level 45, i've been charming guards for about 10 levels now and I'm enjoying it. Messes up faction sure, but there's just something that makes me happy about sitting in a city or an outpost and killing the guards. Especially when i can turn around and sell back to the merchants.

i'm looking for/looking to start an enchanter guard soloing guide. Or just any tidbits from anyone. A quick search for guard guide on the forums didn't find much, and the old chanter solo guide post is closed.

So ets put some info out on guard charming! Why? Because f*ck guards, that's why!

I started doing the dwarves at the butcherblock docks at around 35. If you pick em right you can kill 3 sets of 2 guards and only mess up guard faction. If you don't care (like me) you can get 5 or 6 sets of 2 on a nice rotation. Also, there's a high elf in the dock compound that you can sell to regardless of faction. They each drop a weapon, sometimes two, that vendors for 4-5 plat, so the money's not bad. Easy mobs set of for charming, decent loot, and a vendor right there.

At 40 I went to Oggok for Orgre guards. Pretty legit spot. Set up is nice. There are two roamers that I would make sure to kill together so they spawned together. There's 5 sets of 2 i had on rotation, including the roamers. There's a 6th set by the bank, but i usually didn't bother. Each drops a FS weapon or two, and a fine steal sheild. Sometimes they'll drop a crude stein too which i would use for a minor heal and then sell. Guards are on the their own faction so you can vendor right there. And with ogre illusion and benevolence you can bank.

So now I'm 45 and I tire of oggok. The question is where to go next. Freeport seems nice, but i would assume only do the bad dudes so i could still bank.

Any suggestions?
Old 08-31-2016, 04:04 AM
Fire Giant

Highpass keep?

Other cities are going to have low ZEM, so I'd wouldn't bother with those. Instead, you might try

-entrance mobs in the hole. You get loam armor as bonus
-city of mist
-fear kiting in timorous deep using spiroc proven (rogue pet)

Perhaps some of those spots, e.g. com, aren't so great on blue with its higher pop. ymmv
Last edited by fash; 08-31-2016 at 04:15 AM.. Reason: typo
Old 08-31-2016, 05:35 AM
Planar Protector

freeport guards -

lull and charm one of the caster guards in WFP casters guild. then go find a militia guard, debuff and fear.
Old 08-31-2016, 12:29 PM
Sarnak

Very interested in reading [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Just hit 46 and I'm really sick of CoM
Old 09-01-2016, 03:55 AM
Sarnak

Kaladim guards are awesome and I think I did them as low as 48. Good through 53 or so. Either vendor at druid rings in BB or have newbies sell for a cut. Most of them can be pulled from the BB zone line (literally).

Pro-tip: Once you get theft of though you can use it on the priest of discord which is also by the zone. Just make sure to zone out quickly...I usually combined this with refreshing jboots.

Kelethin guards are also very fun. Doable from 51 I think. Note that this will also wreck your Felwithe faction. People are also doing Felwithe, I never tried.
Old 09-01-2016, 04:13 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by beel [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Kaladim guards are awesome and I think I did them as low as 48. Good through 53 or so. Either vendor at druid rings in BB or have newbies sell for a cut. Most of them can be pulled from the BB zone line (literally).

Pro-tip: Once you get theft of though you can use it on the priest of discord which is also by the zone. Just make sure to zone out quickly...I usually combined this with refreshing jboots.

Kelethin guards are also very fun. Doable from 51 I think. Note that this will also wreck your Felwithe faction. People are also doing Felwithe, I never tried.
felwithe guards are a pain in the butt, because all the guards there are paladins...
Old 09-02-2016, 09:50 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by nostalgiaquest [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm level 45, i've been charming guards for about 10 levels now and I'm enjoying it. Messes up faction sure, but there's just something that makes me happy about sitting in a city or an outpost and killing the guards. Especially when i can turn around and sell back to the merchants.

i'm looking for/looking to start an enchanter guard soloing guide. Or just any tidbits from anyone. A quick search for guard guide on the forums didn't find much, and the old chanter solo guide post is closed.

So ets put some info out on guard charming! Why? Because f*ck guards, that's why!

I started doing the dwarves at the butcherblock docks at around 35. If you pick em right you can kill 3 sets of 2 guards and only mess up guard faction. If you don't care (like me) you can get 5 or 6 sets of 2 on a nice rotation. Also, there's a high elf in the dock compound that you can sell to regardless of faction. They each drop a weapon, sometimes two, that vendors for 4-5 plat, so the money's not bad. Easy mobs set of for charming, decent loot, and a vendor right there.

At 40 I went to Oggok for Orgre guards. Pretty legit spot. Set up is nice. There are two roamers that I would make sure to kill together so they spawned together. There's 5 sets of 2 i had on rotation, including the roamers. There's a 6th set by the bank, but i usually didn't bother. Each drops a FS weapon or two, and a fine steal sheild. Sometimes they'll drop a crude stein too which i would use for a minor heal and then sell. Guards are on the their own faction so you can vendor right there. And with ogre illusion and benevolence you can bank.

So now I'm 45 and I tire of oggok. The question is where to go next. Freeport seems nice, but i would assume only do the bad dudes so i could still bank.

Any suggestions?
Head over to Grobb and kill troll bashers. They are about 14pp per kill. Also, they are on their own faction so you can sell to the merchants in troll form. I went from 45 - 51 in Grobb on my enchanter.
Old 09-20-2016, 03:15 PM
Fire Giant

Anybody have experience solo charming in Kael, Skyshrine or Thurgadin sub-60? It seems to me there has to be a few good spots to set up camp with static spawns in these zones, but I haven't tried yet. Guess I'll get it a try later tonight. Ench hit 48 in CoM and tired of falling asleep, need me some solo charming action.
Old 09-20-2016, 10:00 PM
Fire Giant

48's perfect for grobb guards, crawdad. They're set up pretty nicely once you figure the zone out.

As you zone in, they'll be one guard who paths basically up to the priest of discord by the zone in. Then there is a static spawn in a cove to the left of that. I pair those two up.

Then as you move further in, there's a static guard up in a hill by a creek, there's a static spawn if you follow to the right of that guy, and there's another roamer who basically walks up to the creek with the hill. I pair 2/3 of those against each other depending on where the roamer is. But if you put static against static, pull em back to the zone so you don't have the roamer add.

Moving further into there's a tunnel that goes left into a room with only two guards. Easy money there.

One of side of said tunnel entrance is a vendor you can sell too, and on the other is a guard. I take that guard and pair him against whichever is left from the 3 spawns mentioned above.

That there is 4 sets, which makes a pretty solid rotation. There's more if you go deeper in but it gets a little more dicey.

Each guards drops a longsword, shield, and necklace. Longsword is worth about 11pp, and shield/necklace about 2 each, for a total of 15pp per kill. You can buy the longswords back for like 12 plat and convert all your shit coins into plat.

ZEM is 100 so it's not too shabby, the loot is great, and overall its pretty safe. I've definitely died there more than in grobb or bubtcherblock, but generally that's because I'm a dumbass and got careless.

Some tidbits:

You need to use cajoling whispers on these guys. Which is a longer recast time than beguile, so make sure you have your color skew stun for charm breaks. You will not have time recast cajoling in the duration of color shift, and you'll get your ass kicked.

They do not have buffs, so 60% of the time, taper enchantment works all the time. My personal preference is taper but to each is own.

The guards hit hard, so use runes and all that stuff.

Sometimes one guard just rocks the shit out of the other. Like one is at 85% hp while the other is at 10%. If it's my pet that's at 85%, I'm just let him kill the target one and take the xp hit rather than having to waste my entire mana bar nuking the pet down, then i'll send pet against another guard and hope that he gets down further. Works out pretty good for the most part. If you find that your pet is getting jacked up, I usually just nuke the other down a few times while they're fighting to even it out.

Remember in troll form you won't be KOS when you first start, so do some exploring, find where the spawns are and do some pondering on how you want to approach it. My way is by no means the only or best way to do it.

At some point, even with illusion you're going to be KOS to the guards, and to some hard hitting randoms in the zone. Specifically, there's a guy outside the tunnel, name starts with an M I think. He will be KOS after a while, and he'll drop you like a sack of crap. So be sure to either invis near him, or just be weary. He won't agro if take care when around him.

Techmos as a video out there doing bashers. I've watched parts, and our strats differ a bit but it's a solid guide.

Go bash you some bashers! I'll be there for another level or two then I'm going to kaladim to smash those annoying little beardos.

- Addix
Old 09-20-2016, 10:20 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by nostalgiaquest [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Snip- Addix
Hey! Excellent guide! Not my first rodeo, however [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Grobb and myself are well acquainted-- my Necro leveled off guards almost exclusively from 29-54. Spent many, many hours in Oggok, Grobb and Felwithe. I do enjoy the lazy guard camps though, so for a change of scenery I'm currently charming dwarf guards in Kaladim (8-10 are located/path near zone in). Its great Exp and plat but claustrophobic sometimes.

I really wanted to try out a new "city" camp but Kael giants and Skyshrine casters will probably end up being a duo/trio and not a solo spot... I'd like to scope out Thurg later but I get the feeling it wont quite pan out.

For Grobb, just wanted to add: There are (I believe) 3 "uber" guards in the zone who have 2-3 times the HP of a normal guard. Nanrum at the bar, one near the bank and another near SK guild. I imagine either a slow or an additional guard would even things out; on the Necro it would take two rounds of splurt+ignite blood to down them.

A note for Kaladim too: Careful if you go looking for additional guards. Mobs (such as a Bloodforge Captain) will assist through houses, and they hit hard. Just wait for pathers at the enterance. I can generally get all 10 down before repops at 48.
Last edited by Crawdad; 09-20-2016 at 10:31 PM..
Closed Thread