Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 06-10-2020, 01:51 PM
Sarnak

Default Was multiquesting intentional or a bug? An answer from an original EQ dev.

This answer. I like this answer.

https://clips.twitch.tv/KathishAthleticQueleaWTRuck
Old 06-10-2020, 01:55 PM
Sarnak

For those that don't want to view the clip:

Shawn:

Quote:
That to me sounds like a bug and it was one of those bugs where it's like, "hey this is a bug" and then somebody was like, "well do we fix it? No, I need it for my character as well. Okay let's not fix that then." I'm not joking, that conversation happened. "If we fix this that sucks for us too right? Well let's just ignore that."
Old 06-10-2020, 01:59 PM
Planar Protector

Heh, some of the absolute worst decisions made in EQ design were made by people using their play experience to justify things (without realizing how limited that perspective was).

It was a major factor (for instance) in why classes were so out of balance: certain devs played certain classes, and as a result were blind to how overly powerful they'd made those classes.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 06-10-2020, 02:11 PM
Planar Protector

Im shocked.

JK that makes logical sense and why MQ is a classic unintended feature that improved the game [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 06-10-2020, 02:19 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Heh, some of the absolute worst decisions made in EQ design were made by people using their play experience to justify things (without realizing how limited that perspective was).

It was a major factor (for instance) in why classes were so out of balance: certain devs played certain classes, and as a result were blind to how overly powerful they'd made those classes.
He gave an answer to things being poorly thought out. Basically, "We had no reason to believe the game was going to be around in 6-9 months. It's why the best pre-Kunark secondary item dropped from a level 13 in Qeynos Hills. We didn't think it would ever matter."
Old 06-10-2020, 03:44 PM
Planar Protector

this thread has some good potential

I wanna know what else the original Devs did that was a mistake, but they left it because it had some benefit they liked...

Im also intersted in what devs played what classes. We all know Aradune, but did Brad have other classes? what about smedley?

Or anything else that devs talked about or leaked that was unintentional, but never fixed.

Might shed some interesting light on things like the boats from Live, which were never completed properly, so they added the "teleportation gnomes" at every boat dock.
Old 06-10-2020, 03:46 PM
Planar Protector

on live i mq'd my ranger 1.0 for 20k. don't reget it really. i spent a couple weeks farming in hate and couldn't get it. frankly, i've always like "free economy" type things (like raid items being tradeable in FV), as long as it's not too mudflated. i've always liked repair/damage mechanics so that items degrade longterm, but that's me.

Raiding: http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...&postcount=109
P1999 Class Popularity Chart: http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...7&postcount=48
P1999 PvP Statistics: http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...9&postcount=59

"Global chat is to conversation what pok books are to travel, but without sufficient population it doesn't matter."
Old 06-10-2020, 04:27 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormlord [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
on live i mq'd my ranger 1.0 for 20k. don't reget it really. i spent a couple weeks farming in hate and couldn't get it. frankly, i've always like "free economy" type things (like raid items being tradeable in FV), as long as it's not too mudflated. i've always liked repair/damage mechanics so that items degrade longterm, but that's me.
Do you like permanent damage over time or will the durability hits always be repairable such as they are in WoW?
Old 06-10-2020, 05:37 PM
Banned

If Dev's were biased to their classes why was the Paladin so mehish in classic/kunark considering the lead designer (Brad) was a Paladin.

Class needed some niceties that werent added till Luclin onward. (243 pt undead proc spell, 25% self haste buff in the 40s, fast cast root 1.0 second (shackle of tunare), better heals, better stuns (8-12 second durations)

I mean 75 Archery skill as an example of the over all weakening of the class vrs PvE in classic. They should have been given better damage vrs Undead as per their DnD lore mechanics.
Last edited by White_knight; 06-10-2020 at 05:41 PM..
Old 06-10-2020, 05:48 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by White_knight [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If Dev's were biased to their classes why was the Paladin so mehish in classic/kunark considering the lead designer (Brad) was a Paladin.
Um, Aradune was a Ranger. With a flaming sword.