Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Old 05-26-2022, 02:44 PM
Large Rat

Default Best leveling experience question

Hello All,

I'm considering returning after 20+ years, and I'm wondering what server has the most active community for leveling lower level characters.

I'm trying to revisit some of my childhood experiences (played EQ between the ages 11-13) and barely scratched the surface of the content.

Most of my memories are in the Luclin/Planes of Power era (not that I ever experienced any of that content other than leveling zones), but after researching my options, it seems like project 1999 may have the best experience to recapture some of that magic.

I guess I'm asking for honest appraisal of what server/format would best suite my goals here, which are namely 1) Having people to play with at lower-levels 2) Not being drastically different that the 1999-2002(3?) experience.

The only other option I see is a time-locked progression server, but I'm a little worried that I'll need to keep with the "pack" of experienced players to get group, it's too much of a race, and that I won't time to nostalgia trip in Classic to Planes of Power era due to release xpac every few weeks.

Anyway, appreciate any feedback/comments!
Old 05-26-2022, 04:32 PM
Kobold

Welcome back! I've leveled on Green and Blue the past six months or so. I think both are pretty much the same timeline wise. My experience is that Green has FAR more people leveling and finding a group is easier in general there. The flip side however is that Blue is sparsely populated enough that you can have your pick of camps almost while having enough people to usually put a group together with a little hustle (sending tells). I think the endgame is essentially the same on both servers now. I played a progression server for a while and it was 100% a race all the time.
Old 05-26-2022, 05:17 PM
Sarnak

Welcome back!

If you really want to group with folks, P99 is definitely going to be your best bet due to population, plus as you said, not having to "race" on the TLP servers as new content releases. P99 is locked at Velious (and probably always will be).

Your other option is TAKP (Locked at PoP, which was just released this year). I play on both P99 and TAKP.

I play P99 because of the larger community and potential to maybe one day participate in some raids. However, being a dad of lots of kids/full time job, I'm limited there. I play on TAKP because they allow boxing, though the community is much smaller than here, they are generally good people there as well. The boxing on TAKP allows me to do some harder content by myself without having to flake on groups because my kid just woke up in the middle of the night.

So either really would be good but if you want a larger community, definitely stick with P99.
Old 05-26-2022, 09:22 PM
Large Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambiant [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Welcome back! I've leveled on Green and Blue the past six months or so. I think both are pretty much the same timeline wise. My experience is that Green has FAR more people leveling and finding a group is easier in general there. The flip side however is that Blue is sparsely populated enough that you can have your pick of camps almost while having enough people to usually put a group together with a little hustle (sending tells). I think the endgame is essentially the same on both servers now. I played a progression server for a while and it was 100% a race all the time.
Thank you so much for the advice/feedback. Guess I'm rolling on Green [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 05-26-2022, 09:29 PM
Large Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halius [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Welcome back!

If you really want to group with folks, P99 is definitely going to be your best bet due to population, plus as you said, not having to "race" on the TLP servers as new content releases. P99 is locked at Velious (and probably always will be).

Your other option is TAKP (Locked at PoP, which was just released this year). I play on both P99 and TAKP.

I play P99 because of the larger community and potential to maybe one day participate in some raids. However, being a dad of lots of kids/full time job, I'm limited there. I play on TAKP because they allow boxing, though the community is much smaller than here, they are generally good people there as well. The boxing on TAKP allows me to do some harder content by myself without having to flake on groups because my kid just woke up in the middle of the night.

So either really would be good but if you want a larger community, definitely stick with P99.
I'll repeat, thank you! I think I'm looking for a larger community, rather than just to experience the content via boxing/ special server rules. If push comes to shove, and I actually desperately need to see some of the post-Velious content, I'm glad there are some options.
Old 05-27-2022, 03:31 PM
Aviak

I just started on Green two months ago. Grouping has been terrific until mid 30s. Mid 30s was rough to find a group for a shaman. Seems like a lot of undevoted players burn out in the mid 30s and people start dropping out then. The rest blast through to 50s.

You'll love unrest. It has an excellent classic feel. It's crowded, has trains, and feels awesome.