Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Priests

Closed Thread

Old 12-18-2018, 11:01 AM
Orc

Default Frontal Stun Immunity for Shaman Question

So my question is regarding the Ogre racial of Frontal Stun Immunity, I just want to clarify that I'm aware there are multiple things that can interrupt spell casting such as push, bash, fizzle, channeling skill etc... however, say you are an Ogre and a mob is on top of you, you start casting, the mob bashes from the front, obviously you will not receive the 1-2 second stun that goes along with if a bash hits you, but will you still always be interrupted? I mainly ask because a lot of people have said that the Ogre still can maintain casting even though they get hit via bash? Although every time I have tried this and got hit with bash it still interrupts my cast even though I do not receive the stun itself of course. If this is true, and you get interrupted regardless if you have frontal stun immunity, and just don't get stunned, then I believe this heavily mitigates the usefulness of Frontal Stun Immunity racial, for Shaman of course.
Old 12-18-2018, 11:48 AM
Planar Protector

I never played an ogre, but I am pretty sure that bash will not automatically interrupt a spell. If you're low level it's very likely that your channeling skill isn't very good and thus you're not getting the spell off, also push still takes effect on a bash unless you're corner casting. It seems to me like bash also has a little extra push versus a normal attack, but that is probably just some sort of observation bias on my part.

I'm also not sure how big the cone radius is for something to qualify for frontal stun? Maybe it's relatively small?
Old 12-18-2018, 02:27 PM
Aviak

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the way I'm pretty sure it works is: Ogre's just don't check if bashes "stun" them or not. They only get the channeling check for being hit (the bash) instead of a down-right interruption. Backing into a corner means that they can almost always channel a spell (with appropriate skill level of channeling).

At least, this is my understanding.

FWIW, on my shaman the only time I regret not having FSI is trying to power level. 25 creatures hitting you when you want to Torpor, even in a corner, sucks. Soloing shaman stuff (Efreeti Djarnn, WW Dragons, Sebilis Crypt, A4 etc.) it's hardly make or break.
Old 12-18-2018, 02:52 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killval [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I believe this heavily mitigates the usefulness of Frontal Stun Immunity racial, for Shaman of course.
The usefulness of FSI comes from its relative usefulness to other racial abilities. In other words, it's not like FSI is some game-breaking power (although conversations about the best Shaman race often make it seem like it is) ... it's just that the other Shaman races at level 60 have less useful powers.

Barbarians get ... faction. Most other Shaman races could care less if good cities like them, and if they do care they can fix the faction by killing a bunch of low level mobs. Also Barbarians get less XP penalty than any other race ... which again at 60 is meaningless.

Trolls and Iksar get ... regeneration. With Torpor at level 60 I almost never even cast my regen spell anymore, because regeneration is virtually meaningless compared to Torpor.

So this is why FSI is so "good": it's actually useful at level 60, when you have Torpor, and the other racials aren't. But you have to understand that it's only good by comparison: it's not anywhere close to being a major game-breaking racial power, and you shouldn't expect it to be.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 12-18-2018 at 02:56 PM..
Old 12-18-2018, 03:12 PM
Fire Giant

FSI is only good at 60 with torpor and solo tanking stuff over long fights

Over a 5 or 10+minute fight those 1 to 2 second stuns will add up. Not huge but since shamans chain cast constantly at 60 every second stunned it time not casting cannibalize, torpor, epic, or dots. This difference isn't going to make ogres be able to solo stuff that the other races wont be able to but it will speed up how many casts and spells they get off in a long fight

Prior to 60 as well as for not soloing iksar and troll Regen is a better racial. My shaman is an ogre and the whole path to 60 I had the feeling Regen would have been nicer

So it comes down to this... Do you want a small advantage all the time leveling and in groups? Go troll or iksar for Regen

Do you want easy faction or to be a barbarian? Go barbarian

Do you only care about end game shaman 60 soloing? Go ogre
Old 12-18-2018, 03:48 PM
Orc

Guys I'm not trying to have the 1,000th thread on Shamans on what race is best LOL. I just simply want to know if Ogre Shamans get an interrupted spell cast from a bash even though they do not get stunned.
Old 12-18-2018, 03:55 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killval [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Guys I'm not trying to have the 1,000th thread on Shamans on what race is best LOL. I just simply want to know if Ogre Shamans get an interrupted spell cast from a bash even though they do not get stunned.
It seems like you already know the answer:

Quote:
Although every time I have tried this and got hit with bash it still interrupts my cast even though I do not receive the stun itself of course.
FSI prevents stuns, not damage (from bash or anything else), or being pushed, or anything else that can cause interrupts.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 12-18-2018, 04:13 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It seems like you already know the answer:

FSI prevents stuns, not damage (from bash or anything else), or being pushed, or anything else that can cause interrupts.
Yes, I know the answer from a level 25 or so Ogre however, I wasn't sure if this changed later down the line, due to channeling increases in skill or what have you.. so an Ogre will always have their casts interrupted no matter what if the bash lands even if they do not receive the stun? There's a lot of nuance to how these mechanics work many that most probably aren't familiar with such as push checks, spell channelling and how that coincides with the Ogre racial, if bash connects etc... so I asked the question for someone that is experienced in high end Shaman playing as an Ogre basically, that has first hand experience on getting hit with bash and having their cast interrupted.
Old 12-18-2018, 04:20 PM
Planar Protector

What you are describing gets worse at high levels since things will generally get more hits on you and push you faster
It was at this point I decided to no longer be kind to the casuals as they have extreme short term memory. They did this to themselves, unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maner View Post
No one in A/A cares that you aren't getting pixels. In fact after the last suspension wave the attitude is to stop letting the casual guilds get anything even remotely of value.
Old 12-18-2018, 05:07 PM
Planar Protector

For all practical purposes you can think of it as FSI reduces your chances of being interrupted if you're facing your target, even more so if you are corner casting.

Unless the mechanics have changed in 4 years an ogre CAN channel through a bash.

https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...2&postcount=94
Closed Thread