Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 01-03-2019, 03:23 PM
Aviak

Default Back After 2 Years - Need Advice!

Hi again P99!

I'm back after a few years away and am trying to decide which solo- friendly toon to focus on. I've got a few existing toons that might fit the bill:

1) 19 druid - no gear on him, but druids can probably level naked. Seems like a super solid choice for easy, casual play though I'd like to delve into some dungeons at some point, which would be more difficult for a druid.
2) 27 necro - no gear aside from pre-nerf CoS, but again probably don't need much. I'm pretty bad at EQ so an FD button is very appealing! May be a bit more involved than I'd prefer especially if I get into charming, but definitely an option.
3) 16 enchanter - have some low level charisma gear (just shy of 200 CHA) so could try charming right away. Just an OP class all around, but seems like a lot of work to me! I tend to panic when things go wrong, so I'm not sure I've got the intestinal fortitude for this class...

Otherwise I may roll up a level 1 shaman. I can borrow a friend's fungi, so could probably grind up to mid 20s without too much effort, which is when shamans start to get more interesting. Seems to be more my speed as far as frantic spell casting is concerned. Lots of canni dancing no doubt, but doesn't seem as difficult as enchanter (correct me if I'm wrong!). Only question would be which race to roll. I'm partial to Barbarians for faction reasons, but troll regen sounds awfully nice, even if I have access to a fungi... not sure! Only concern is how expensive a level 60 shaman is compared to the other options. Not sure I'll hit max level though.

Any advice to help me narrow this down would be appreciated! Thanks for reading.

TL;DR Unskilled EQ vet can't decide between solo classes: druid, necro, ench, shaman. Please help him.
Old 01-21-2019, 12:58 PM
Aviak

Just wanted to bump this thread and see if anyone has any insight on these classes for me past mid-levels?

I did end up rolling a Barb shaman and getting him to level 19 between writing this post and getting it approved by mods (fungi + pwc + 55 hp rings made that pretty easy). So now I have several very solid solo options. Not committed to any of these toons yet. Shaman actually seems pretty boring at this point, but I'm still in the "fungi is making everything trivial" stage of the game...
Old 01-21-2019, 01:18 PM
Planar Protector

make ench, own world
Old 01-21-2019, 01:23 PM
Orc

I'd say ench or the shaman. both are great and loved. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

My steam cuz why not?
Old 01-21-2019, 01:31 PM
Large Bat

Dude, I feel ya, I recently joined (first time on p99), and tested a few characters.
I missed my rogue from vanilla years ago so rolled a rogue, got to level 3 before realizing that I may have it rough, having just started. So I then rolled a Magician, got to level 3 before deciding that I wanted heals but not the responsibilities of keeping people alive, so boom, now I am a lvl 9 druid.

You having some resources, you really could solo fairly efficiently with about any of those.. I'm on the ropes with the chanter though, I played a chanter, definitely OP, and I loved it.. buuut that was House of Thule era with 7k aa's and this, well this is Velious.

That being said, I do remember a chanter from my guild on The Rathe back during Kunark, Sarvhok(sp) or something like that, man, he was our puller in Old Seb, he'd have disco mez parked for us and did that for hours on end.

I vote chanter.
Old 01-21-2019, 01:40 PM
Fire Giant

Given your experiences with the game I'd reccomend you play the necro. Multiple ways to kill things which breaks up the monotony and FD is great for emergencies/ afking. Also able to do dungeon and outdoors no problem. Besides u already have the COS so might as well use it.
Closed Thread