Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 04-03-2021, 01:12 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMN [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Given this is not a quest for an epic item, it's doubtful it has any level requirement.
I think he means like what level you’d need to be to kill mobs and complete the quest yourself. The wiki minimum to my understanding is the minimum level you’d probably need to be to camp any drops etc that you’d need
Old 04-04-2021, 10:25 PM
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to alucca Send a message via AIM to alucca Send a message via Yahoo to alucca

You'll have fun with levels from the io series venge io Try it and it won't let you down
Old 04-05-2021, 01:36 PM
Orc

Lightbulb Direct DB edit

Could someone who has access to the db not do a simple mysql find/replace for or is the wiki flat file?

! ''' Minimum Level: '''

to

! ''' Recommended Level: '''
Last edited by Yrzep; 04-05-2021 at 01:37 PM.. Reason: Clarity
Old 04-05-2021, 01:40 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrzep [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Could someone who has access to the db not do a simple mysql find/replace for or is the wiki flat file?

to

HAHAHA you think anyone on p99 is capable of doing a very easy and simple DB replace.
You must be new around here. (this has been the solution to several issues but never seems to get used)
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Old 04-05-2021, 02:47 PM
Orc

Smile

Should anyone be interested: https://www.mysqltutorial.org/mysql-...-function.aspx
Old 04-05-2021, 04:27 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrzep [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

to

There are only two people I'm aware of with access to the actual wiki computer (and who therefore can access it's database directly, instead of through the MediaWiki software): Rogean and Ravhin. Neither has any desire to do this.

Rogean (obviously) has bigger fish to fry, and Ravhin doesn't even play here anymore (we very briefly coaxed him out of retirement to get the Green/Teal auction trackers in the wiki, but that's the last I've heard from him). In theory one of them could give me access, and I could run the necessary SQL ... but A) vetting me/giving access is still more work for them, and B) software like Media Wiki often doesn't store data in nice/clean tables. Instead, because they have to keep track of each change over time (so they can be rolled back and such), changing a page is a lot messier than just a single UPDATE on a (normal) table.

Thus, even if Rogean was willing to waste time AND trust me (or another dev) with access, there's still no guarantee that this would be a quick fix. The real solution is to do what I did with the fashion categories ... ie. write a script that uses the MediaWiki API to change each page, individually. I already have the access to do that ... but writing such a script is a lot of work (plus you have to test it VERY carefully, to make sure you don't accidentally destroy part of the wiki in the process). The fashion categories were a lot of effort, and I just don't have it in me to do it again for something this minor.

But if anyone out there is a dev who's comfortable working with APIs, and you do care enough ... write a script, test it (and tell me how you tested it ... eg. you might want to setup your own MediaWiki "dev instance"), and then I could potentially run that script for you. And if you are a Javascript dev, I can even send you the scripts I used to do the fashion categories as a jumping off point.

P.S. I'm not exaggerating at all when I say that it might well be faster for one motivated individual to edit/fix each quest page "by hand", than it would be for a developer to write/test/run a mass script. Especially if I were to write a "bookmarklet" to do it for them (so they just had to edit each page, click the bookmarklet, and click save). If anyone has the time/energy to do that for every quest page ... let me know.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 04-05-2021 at 04:47 PM..
Old 04-05-2021, 04:42 PM
Planar Protector

aka does any php programmer want a full time job with no pay?
Contact rogean via the petition section of the forums.

I've given loramin some grief lately but he has done a lot for the p99 wiki and deserves praise. Especially for coming back time after time.

(i'm dropping the ball on writing that template and changing ever quest page)
anyone could do this work entirely however and contact loramin to get it finalized.
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Old 04-05-2021, 04:51 PM
Banned

fungi tunics for everybody
Closed Thread