Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 04-07-2021, 11:48 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd288 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
As far as getting into groups, it’s not that hard. I don’t usually see people deny a Wizard if they have an opening and don’t have a need for another class at the time. I honestly see people be less willing to add another hybrid to their group more than I see someone deny Wizards (especially if the group is using a Druid or Shaman as main healer...more damage equals less load on the healer since the mobs die faster).

As far as ports, that’s just a dumb statement. Wizards are the only class that can port to the Planes so you’ll definitely be needed in raids and I’ve never turned down a port just because it’s a wizard who can’t give me sow. Honestly Wizards also have a bit of an advantage since they can basically port people right into Kelethin which Druids can’t, and closer to Qeynos (until Surefall Glade port comes out way later). I wouldn’t worry about the port issue at all. Plus your ports mean it’s easier to find a group in theory since you can travel all over with ease to check for groups in other dungeons.
This is true. I suppose it's just all the shit-talking about Wizards that I see around that gets kind of discouraging. That and I did genuinely struggle to find groups early on in Green on a wizard thought maybe it's different now. But I've been rerolling on this server over and over again trying to find the right class I can identify with and nothing's really stuck. I genuinely do like wizards from a thematic standpoint, it's just always been tough to get into due to their mechanical limitations and community stigma.

But...I want to try again.

The port thing is just someone was saying to me on the P99 Discord early on. I do know that Wizards get ports to the planes, and later they can send folks to their bind points, but beyond that I couldn't help feeling the guy was right about druids having the edge everywhere else. Except maybe the fact that evils don't have to put on an invis to get a wizard port in some places.
Old 04-08-2021, 12:41 AM
Planar Protector

Hhhhhmmm. I'm just gonna be honest and try to be as helpful as possible.... level up an enchanter to 29 and keep that character logged win whatever dungeon you want to play in. offer to switch back and forth to cast clarity on the other people in the potential group . You can even just make your own groups with this carrot.
Old 04-08-2021, 01:17 AM
Sarnak

I have a 50 wizard and it can be tough finding groups, but it is possible. Ideally try to group with enchanters who can provide much needed C (don't be shy about asking higher level ones you see in zone to buff you as well). Once I started quadding I also had a lot of success duoing with another wizard, though you won't see too many wizards around.

I wouldn't worry about it though - some people are min/maxxers who won't want to group with wizards, but if you play your role correctly you can add to a group. A few tips:
1. Don't start the fight with a nuke - mobs will come on you and you'll annoy the healers
2. You typically only need one nuke per fight, so try to time it with the rate the mobs health is decreasing and the casting time so you'll knock it from 40% to 10% or so.
3. If you get flux staff it can be GREAT to get aggro off of healers, leading me to my next point
4. Be active with crowd controlling adds (rooting). An active wizard is appreciated much more than one that afks for 5 min at a time

Have fun!
Old 04-08-2021, 02:34 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMN [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hhhhhmmm. I'm just gonna be honest and try to be as helpful as possible.... level up an enchanter to 29 and keep that character logged win whatever dungeon you want to play in. offer to switch back and forth to cast clarity on the other people in the potential group . You can even just make your own groups with this carrot.
I've tried to like enchanter, seriously, but that class is tough and I don't think I can take the anxiety that the charm playstyle requires, haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anxarcule [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I have a 50 wizard and it can be tough finding groups, but it is possible. Ideally try to group with enchanters who can provide much needed C (don't be shy about asking higher level ones you see in zone to buff you as well). Once I started quadding I also had a lot of success duoing with another wizard, though you won't see too many wizards around.

I wouldn't worry about it though - some people are min/maxxers who won't want to group with wizards, but if you play your role correctly you can add to a group. A few tips:
1. Don't start the fight with a nuke - mobs will come on you and you'll annoy the healers
2. You typically only need one nuke per fight, so try to time it with the rate the mobs health is decreasing and the casting time so you'll knock it from 40% to 10% or so.
3. If you get flux staff it can be GREAT to get aggro off of healers, leading me to my next point
4. Be active with crowd controlling adds (rooting). An active wizard is appreciated much more than one that afks for 5 min at a time

Have fun!
I appreciate the advice. I'll keep that in mind when I do start grouping. I want to try and play the class as good as I can so folks will actually invite me hehe.
Old 04-08-2021, 02:57 AM
Planar Protector

/who all your level range and start a chat to a person or two from each xp zone you see in the results.

Ask them what they’re up to, and then if they are XPing whether you can join them. If you get a few options of where to go, try to select a camp which is a little open, as wizards cc best when there is plenty of space.

If you see a bard AoEing they can adapt their strategy to make aggro so you can very quickly dump your mana into quickly killing their train.
Old 04-08-2021, 05:24 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
/who all your level range and start a chat to a person or two from each xp zone you see in the results.

Ask them what they’re up to, and then if they are XPing whether you can join them. If you get a few options of where to go, try to select a camp which is a little open, as wizards cc best when there is plenty of space.
That is true, and with the porting ability later it probably wouldn't be as tough a sell to gather folks from every corner of the world, hehe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If you see a bard AoEing they can adapt their strategy to make aggro so you can very quickly dump your mana into quickly killing their train.
Wait you can do that and gank another bard's train?
Old 04-08-2021, 08:13 AM
Planar Protector

You probably don’t want to try gank a bard’s train - they have tricks they can use to punish you for that and it just sounds like a potential headache in the making for all parties - and the staff.

I was more thinking of legitimately forming a group. When you do the xp will fly. Unfortunately many bards aren’t too in to it as they are often selling a PL service and they worry about you slowing down the client’s xp, demanding payment, wiping, etc.
Old 04-08-2021, 11:04 AM
Aviak

Coming from a old wizard main, let me genuinely paint the picture for you because I have a soft spot for this class.

From a min/max perspective you're on everyone's shit list if not at the bottom.
There is a stereotype that wizards in groups just burn there mana and then go afk,thus resentment builds in the group. Make a good name for yourself and build up a good rep, Everquest is a social game, communicate and make friends/guildies. finish off casting mobs, when a bad pull happens, show them your value and pew pew! use your stun in a timely manner, root when roots are needed, understand nuking a mob right away is bad. Get a flux staff for dangerous aggro situations, I would snare kite plane of sky mobs with my flux staff as we would drop mobs that way a lot of the times. Offer ports to group members whenever they are in need. Luckily when I was playing Project 1999 blue I had a guild and friends who snagged me for AE chardok and skyfire (you memba?) so that natural mid 50's bottleneck on a wizard wasn't so bad.

At some point if you REALLY want to be in dungeons that bad in regards to pick up groups (assuming you don't have a guild and or friends that would make this a mute point), make a alt that's more group friendly, but let me tell you, once I got past the stupid leveling and was raiding, overall I really enjoyed maining a raid wizard.

PS. I really wish wizards got some sort of critical nuke ability or % chance during classic/kunark/velious.
Old 04-08-2021, 11:04 AM
Orc

why would you want groups when you can quad? =P i barely grouped on my wizard back then, and i'm 53 right now here on p99 on my wizard alt. You don't really need a group, and that's the beauty of it.
Old 04-08-2021, 11:11 AM
Banned

The stamina mechanics don't work on this server

That's why you see preference for melees

People complained about it and they removed it, classic or not. Lots of things are like that tho. Many things are decided by terrible everquest players here.
Closed Thread