Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 08-29-2016, 05:03 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzzarTheGod [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Can you shed any light on if a HD and a motherboard are the same thing? Or are these separate parts?
Yeah they are different butt similar. The HD is heavy with lots of metal. The motherboard has less metal and is thinner with a bunch of places to plug things into it. It is not always clear though which thing goes in which spot :/
Old 08-29-2016, 05:04 PM
Planar Protector

I'm familiar with the other stuff. My main confusion was about how to keep my HD and operating system the same,

I'd like to get a new HD if I could keep my OS and data from the current HD.

Apple has the firewire to move data quickly. I just don't know how to salvage the data from my HD and transfer it to a new HD in a timely fashion.

If it becomes too much trouble I guess I would be willing to reluctantly abandon windows 7 (very very reluctantly, honestly I would probably rebuy Windows 7 on ebay and install it clean).

The motherboard Q stemmed from wanting to avoid getting a new rig and not being able to plug my second HD in anywhere due to compatibility with the connector slot, etc.

PKer & Master Trainer and Terrorist of Sullon Zek
Kills: 1278, Deaths: 76, Killratio: 16.82
Last edited by AzzarTheGod; 08-29-2016 at 05:08 PM..
Old 08-29-2016, 05:07 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Truthbearer [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Just download some more RAM and you should be good to go.
You jest, but this was literally an option on some of the new 4Gb RX 480 GPUs
Old 08-29-2016, 05:10 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzzarTheGod [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm familiar with the other stuff. My main confusion was about how to keep my HD and operating system the same,

Apple has the firewire to move data quickly. I just don't know how to salvage the data from my HD and transfer it to a new HD in a timely fashion.
USB stick? Add it as a secondary drive in the new PC and copy stuff over? Burn it to CD? You're going to have to reinstall the OS in a new pc regardless cause it's going to have a whole different set of drivers it will require. There's a free program called Magic Jellybean Keyfinder that will pull your Windows 7 key from your current OS if you don't know what it is, and you could use that to install Windows 7 on the new one.
Old 08-29-2016, 05:11 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:

They still sell Win7. Could also just use a key extract and find the software elsewhere. The. You can just plug your old HD in as a slave and boot from the new one and still have access to all your old data. You'll have to reinstall some of the programs though if that is your concern. EQ doesn't matter, you can run it from a thumb drive, but things like Adobe Creative Suite, Microsoft Office and The Sims will require new installs.
Old 08-29-2016, 05:13 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollhide [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
USB stick? Add it as a secondary drive in the new PC and copy stuff over? Burn it to CD? You're going to have to reinstall the OS in a new pc regardless cause it's going to have a whole different set of drivers it will require. There's a free program called Magic Jellybean Keyfinder that will pull your Windows 7 key from your current OS if you don't know what it is, and you could use that to install Windows 7 on the new one.
Your thumbs are faster than mine ^^ Wasn't sure if the Jelly Bean had been updated. Last I used it was on XP ^^
Old 08-29-2016, 05:17 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollhide [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
USB stick? Add it as a secondary drive in the new PC and copy stuff over? Burn it to CD? You're going to have to reinstall the OS in a new pc regardless cause it's going to have a whole different set of drivers it will require. There's a free program called Magic Jellybean Keyfinder that will pull your Windows 7 key from your current OS if you don't know what it is, and you could use that to install Windows 7 on the new one.[/b]
Thanks that's very helpful.

I'm aware that most state of the art games have begun to lack backwards compatibility due to DirectX changes and lack of video card support with Windows 7. And its really only a matter of another year before Windows 7 loses compatibility with most pre-2014-15ish video cards unless you know the ins-and-outs and which cards are compatible with which hardware/software combos.

Recently just hit that problem with Square-Enix's Hitman game, which is completely unplayable 0.005 framerate with a Raedon 7400.

Old 08-29-2016, 05:21 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by maskedmelon [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Your thumbs are faster than mine ^^ Wasn't sure if the Jelly Bean had been updated. Last I used it was on XP ^^
How long are we talking to transfer about 1.4 terrabytes over to a new harddrive with a USB cord? (I assume that's what you mean by USB thumb.

1 full 24 hour day? or more? I felt its like 2-3 days of not being able to use the computer which is really unappealing.

Old 08-29-2016, 05:28 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
How long are we talking to transfer about 1.4 terrabytes over to a new harddrive with a USB cord? (I assume that's what you mean by USB thumb.

1 full 24 hour day? or more? I felt its like 2-3 days of not being able to use the computer which is really unappealing.
No, I meant the digits on my hands ^^ I am typing on a phone and he finished his reply quicker ^^

As for transferring all data to a thumb drive, I don't know and don't think they make thumb drives that big. Took around 20min to transfer EQ dir of about 4GB though iirc, so, 12gb/hr = 288gb/day = about a week ^^ Maybe that was an old USB 1.5 port though. Not sure, my puter is several years old.
Old 08-29-2016, 05:31 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by maskedmelon [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
No, I meant the digits on my hands ^^ I am typing on a phone and he finished his reply quicker ^^

As for transferring all data to a thumb drive, I don't know and don't think they make thumb drives that big. Took around 20min to transfer EQ dir of about 4GB though iirc, so, 12gb/hr = 288gb/day = about a week ^^ Maybe that was an old USB 1.5 port though. Not sure, my puter is several years old.
Sounds accurate, which brings me to my original question.

How to avoid this? Will there be compatibility problems to look out for, plugging a 2012 HD into a 2015-2016 motherboard.

I assume you get a custom rig from a rig maker and just tell them you have this problem and they will know whats up. I already hit videocard incompatibility this year, my board doesn't take any of the new cards.

Closed Thread