Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 05-13-2021, 04:52 PM
Sarnak

Yes, I'm sure that the claim that camping a single static span is the fastest xp is something that we should take as literal truth and not some kids clickbait title. Keen interpretation of that evidence, loramin.
Old 05-13-2021, 05:06 PM
Sarnak

I'll also add that charming doesn't seem to be the dominant p99 green druid strategy, based on casual observation of class population of ct gators and perma pits, and the attitude towards charm of druids I've grouped with.
Old 05-13-2021, 05:13 PM
Planar Protector

My point was that not a single person, post-classic, recommended charming ... out of the twenty Druids who took the time to create guides. If charming was as viable as it is here, logic would dictate that at least 5% of Druids might use and recommend it ... but no one did. Almost as if charming is easier here than it was on live ...

The post from Bristlebane was largely for entertainment purposes (I was hoping the winking emoji, overwrought claim in the subject, complete lack of respect for English grammar and spelling in the post itself, etc. would have hinted as much) ... although it does still serve as one more data point that classic Druids weren't charming.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 05-13-2021, 05:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Here's how Druids were actually playing in classic, from my own home server of Brisltlebane ... "The Fastest EXP in EverQuest!" [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]:
A lot of people on P99 are completely oblivious to the fact that they are only leveling fast because of broken ZEMs. In their minds players were just really bad back in the day, and the reason they're able to level so fast is because they know how to play the game now. If they released a new P99 server with no ZEMs, I don't think a lot of people would even hit level 50, nor would you see a large number of players grouping in dungeons when they could get faster exp solo'ing, with better loot and without the headache.

Like as someone who just started playing P99 shortly after green was released... I immediately knew the experience was wrong. I wasn't just some dumb kid who couldn't figure out how to play the game. I was working my fucking ass off, dude. I remember having to level in Lake of Ill Omen, OverThere, Dreadlands etc. because there was you couldn't just go to CT and go from 30-45 in a day. It felt like doing 30-40 in OT took months, literally. Months of sitting on a hill pulling cactuses, and hoping to God you didn't aggro that dark elf guard that runs at SoW speed.

So when I started playing on P99 and was level 50 in two weeks.. I was like man, something is really wrong here....
Old 05-13-2021, 05:36 PM
Banned

I favor quad kiting.
Old 05-13-2021, 05:52 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
My point was that not a single person, post-classic, recommended charming ... out of the twenty Druids who took the time to create guides. If charming was as viable as it is here, logic would dictate that at least 5% of Druids might use and recommend it ... but no one did. Almost as if charming is easier here than it was on live ...

The post from Bristlebane was largely for entertainment purposes (I was hoping the winking emoji, overwrought claim in the subject, complete lack of respect for English grammar and spelling in the post itself, etc. would have hinted as much) ... although it does still serve as one more data point that classic Druids weren't charming.
I will try to keep a better humor in our conversations going forward[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I clicked through the more guides link at the bottom of the page and reached a charming one: https://web.archive.org/web/20030508...EW.ASP?ID=3746
Old 05-13-2021, 06:02 PM
Aviak

Bristlebane server. 2nd serverwide (as Acarer) to max AA's using charm in tactics pits charming a frenzied initiate with glowy mage weapons. Some female darkelf enchanter from Darkwind beat me to the #1 spot

Dire charm was a joke.

We also used charmed pets to kill AoW for the very first time on Bristlebane server (this happened a couple months into Luclin and was a multi-guild effort)

Hope this helps.
Old 05-13-2021, 06:19 PM
Banned

The way I discovered P99 was I was watching YouTube, as I usually do. And I was like man, I wonder if there's any EQ videos up... because when you played EQ back in the day... there was no YouTube, and you had to use your imagination to see what most zones were like.

Naturally I found that channel of the Enchanter who solos content. You know how like on P99, almost everyone who makes an Enchanter made one because of this guy's channel? Well, in the video I watched (I believe it was him solo'ing in Splitpaw), he mentioned that charm in P99 was not classic and he wasn't sure if this was by accident or if it was done so intentionally because the devs like it like this.

I'll try to find the video...
Old 05-13-2021, 06:28 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyjalx [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Bristlebane server. 2nd serverwide (as Acarer) to max AA's using charm in tactics pits charming a frenzied initiate with glowy mage weapons. Some female darkelf enchanter from Darkwind beat me to the #1 spot

Dire charm was a joke.

We also used charmed pets to kill AoW for the very first time on Bristlebane server (this happened a couple months into Luclin and was a multi-guild effort)

Hope this helps.
So does it feel classic to you? Did you have a level 50 in vanilla and a 60 in kunark and charm then?

Just curious. Lots changed post Luclin and we don't seem to even document it here.
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 05-13-2021, 06:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecondoJoe [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The way I discovered P99 was I was watching YouTube, as I usually do. And I was like man, I wonder if there's any EQ videos up... because when you played EQ back in the day... there was no YouTube, and you had to use your imagination to see what most zones were like.

Naturally I found that channel of the Enchanter who solos content. You know how like on P99, almost everyone who makes an Enchanter made one because of this guy's channel? Well, in the video I watched (I believe it was him solo'ing in Splitpaw), he mentioned that charm in P99 was not classic and he wasn't sure if this was by accident or if it was done so intentionally because the devs like it like this.

I'll try to find the video...
Hey a guy said it in a video and Loramin said it online, that’s all the proof I need

Also (not ragging on you, just questioning) why make a guide or watch a guide about soloing splitpaw? That zone is a joke to solo, at least the parts I did. Spread out mobs, easy pulls and few or no roamers

I started the same way as you with watching “solo artists” as they call themselves, but I was more interested in seeing Howling Stones or other high risk places
Closed Thread