Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 05-13-2021, 09:50 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyjalx [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Bristlebane server. 2nd serverwide (as Acarer) to max AA's using charm in tactics pits charming a frenzied initiate with glowy mage weapons. Some female darkelf enchanter from Darkwind beat me to the #1 spot

Dire charm was a joke.

We also used charmed pets to kill AoW for the very first time on Bristlebane server (this happened a couple months into Luclin and was a multi-guild effort)

Hope this helps.
Serverwide first character wih full aas on pop was Merodeador, dark elf from solusek ro , using infamous bard can kite the whole fucking halls of honour alone .

Frozen moses was nerfed before luclin, back in the day u could even charm bloody protectors of zek but they broke alot
Old 05-13-2021, 10:50 PM
Sarnak

Make GINA a bannable offense
Old 05-13-2021, 11:40 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graahle [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I don't believe anything any general poster says here.

You're old. You don't remember how it was 20 years ago. Get over it.
Autists remember where they sat in 6th grade. I sat next to Jodi and we were assigned study partners. She had a boyfriend in 8th grade who had messed up acne. Jodi was an early bloomer, about 5'4", Jewish. The boyfriend was obviously farming the 6th graders for tit jobs. The fact he had really angry acne put me off tit jobs for years.

I begrudged him his capacity for happiness.
Old 05-13-2021, 11:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwe [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Make GINA a bannable offense
Old 05-14-2021, 12:34 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Right, and as I've said: people did charm in classic. That guide proves what we already knew: that charming was possible on live, just as it is here.

What I'm saying is that there were 20 guides on the page I linked, and as you found a whole bunch more on the rest of the site ... but you found one on charming. If live players had all the same tools back then we have now (and we agree: they did) ... and if it was as easy/safe/effective as it is here ... why wasn't it the topic of 50+% of the guides?

The reply here seems to be "on live, only one in a thousand ever tried using their class spells to get XP, and he had a terrible Internet connection" ... and there's absolutely some truth to that! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

But it doesn't fully explain the gigantic delta between us and live: many did have stable connections, there were tons of guides, forum discussions, etc. about the best way to level ... but while charm is obviously better here, it was barely mentioned there. Why?
I told you, it took like 10 years for charm to get the way it was here, 6 years ago only 20% of the server did it, now 100%

the internet, guides, youtube, thats how.

no doubt in my mind that in the fast pace 3 years of learning this game that that level of game was never reached by anymore than a select few that were too anti social to be able to explain it or write an article

absence of evidence isn't evidence of absence
Old 05-14-2021, 12:48 AM
Large Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Right, and as I've said: people did charm in classic. That guide proves what we already knew: that charming was possible on live, just as it is here.

What I'm saying is that there were 20 guides on the page I linked, and as you found a whole bunch more on the rest of the site ... but you found one on charming. If live players had all the same tools back then we have now (and we agree: they did) ... and if it was as easy/safe/effective as it is here ... why wasn't it the topic of 50+% of the guides?

The reply here seems to be "on live, only one in a thousand ever tried using their class spells to get XP, and he had a terrible Internet connection" ... and there's absolutely some truth to that! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

But it doesn't fully explain the gigantic delta between us and live: many did have stable connections, there were tons of guides, forum discussions, etc. about the best way to level ... but while charm is obviously better here, it was barely mentioned there. Why?
Maybe because Enc's didn't need to solo. They were always wanted in groups because of haste, clarity and mez. Grouping was safer and more interesting and the way the game was meant to be played. People didn't play EQ to solo. If Enc's didn't have those grouping tools, I'm sure charm soloing would have been a big deal, but they have a great group toolkit so they can level either way.

I didn't play an Enc on classic live, but my brother did. He def would charm in groups because it was fun seeing monsters beat on monsters. He never got the idea to charm solo because he'd be getting tells to join groups wherever he went. It just wasn't really needed.

I saw people with charmed sand giants running through Oasis back on live. More of a vanity thing than anything, but people did use the spell. They just didn't put all the pieces together (GCD clickies, Goblin Ring instant break, etc.) to create a crazy charm solo system, but those tools were there and, like a lot of things in P99, have been defined and streamlined thanks to the wiki for everyone to learn.

And really, what does it matter? It's still hard to charm solo. You need a pretty solid understanding of EQ combat (aggro, GCD, targeting, pet control, etc.). Someone totally new to the game could not, in any way, easily charm solo. It takes practice like bard swarm kiting. The risk is built in and every Enchanter WILL have deaths guaranteed.
Old 05-14-2021, 02:31 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
If charming was as viable as it is here, logic would dictate that at least 5% of Druids might use and recommend it ... but no one did.
You make a big deal about no charm guides being in the list, then double down on your position when I point out a charm guide in the list.
Old 05-14-2021, 02:47 AM
Planar Protector

It’s not worth engaging with Loramin on anything to be honest so just save your breath. He’s literally the Donald trump of P99: “THIS IS MY OPINION SO EVERYONE KNOWS THATS THE WAY IT WAS SO THERE”

Sometimes he even likes to use fancy italics, bold, and underline to highlight his pointless stuff
Old 05-14-2021, 04:10 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
... but while charm is obviously better here, it was barely mentioned there. Why?
...Same reason you saw folks defending things (using these same arguments) ranging from whirl till you hurl back when P99 first opened to broken monk sneak splitting to melee combat bind.

I believe random-type spells in general are too "user friendly" on P99. It's probably an EQ-EMU tuning issue. Not just charm, but lulls, roots, invisibility, pretty much all the random-type spells seem rather too good here. All we have is circumstantial evidence though. The sort of hard proof management prefers likely does not exist due to the original values for those types of things being host-side and hence inaccessible to the community. Anything that was kept in the clientside spelldata files (mana costs, etc) we can easily get right, but stuff that was host-side requires some guesswork.

At any rate I don't care enough to spend much time trying to search for the elusive "smoking gun." Enchanters don't bother me all that much. Mostly they're doing stuff that would've been occupied in the original game anyway due to higher server populations. I hate bards way more.

Danth
Old 05-14-2021, 07:44 AM
Banned

People worried about how easy it is to get through 50 hell lvl solo charming Versus people worried about classic everquest and remember rarely seeing soloers and boxers.

ITT.

:thinkface:
Closed Thread