Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 09-12-2016, 05:20 PM
Kobold

roughly zero percent chance youll harm the hard drive

your girlie pics(and other less important files) will survive!
Old 09-12-2016, 05:20 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilbog [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Boards without onboard graphics use slot cards for video when you boot.
Oh well there you go, I was right ^^ my first recognition from a purple name was validation of advice I gave. This makes me happy ^^

I am confident now. Do this Azzar!
Old 09-12-2016, 05:23 PM
Project Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimjaw [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
few things can cause a computer to not make it thru POST. but usually its something really simple like not putting the card in the slot right is a big one. usually happens with RAM but could just as easily happen with a graphics card. its called "reseating" the card. just unplug it and plug it back in properly this time.

also I don't see how the windows device driver could cause this issue you are describing.
And this is certainly good advice. When seating the card, make sure you apply enough force, in the correct slot.
Old 09-12-2016, 05:27 PM
Planar Protector

AMD mobo's usually have an onboard video chip set. Mine does. The way you can tell is go into bios settings and examine the video settings which I think are in advanced settings. It will give you an option to enable/disable the onboard video. If onboard is off, I wouldn't even bother with it, just do the swap.

But anywawy, you just simply uninstall the drivers, power down, swap the card and power up. When you power up you can check bios settings and see if it's being recognized, optional. As windows starts, it'll recognize new hardware and give you a prompt. You have the disk with drivers, install it. When it starts, it'll be using generic drivers which is normal, as you removed the old drivers, and so you install the new drivers and control suite.

Standard procedure, we even did this in my A+ prep class in college. Even on current hardware, I put an Radeon in my ASUS system originally and then later swapped it out for a Geforce.
Last edited by Daywolf; 09-12-2016 at 05:30 PM..
Old 09-12-2016, 05:28 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilbog [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
And this is certainly good advice. When seating the card, make sure you apply enough force, in the correct slot.
Oooo, also super good advice. Took me a long time and numerous errors before I was comfortable properly seating things. Was always worried I would break it :/ Only thing that don't need a good amount of force to get it in or out is the processor. That should just slip right in. Also, I hate molex. Just putting that out there.
Old 09-12-2016, 05:33 PM
Project Manager

If you give the specs of the setup, will also help.

What motherboard?
What card are you installing?

I normally download video driver install file beforehand to the desktop. That way its up to date and I don't have to use their cd install garbage.
Old 09-12-2016, 05:46 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
If you give the specs of the setup, will also help.

What motherboard?
What card are you installing?

I normally download video driver install file beforehand to the desktop. That way its up to date and I don't have to use their cd install garbage.
Embarrassed to say, but its a GT 740 and I am swapping out a Raedon 7400 that was sold in the rig. Despite similar stats on paper, its actually a +25 FPS gain on most games and at only 100 bucks it made sense to get some more life out of this old rig.

Motherboard information as follows,

Manufacturer: Gigabyte
Model: 2AC8
no serial
Version 1.2

^ looks even more embarrassing than the video card, am I right?

PKer & Master Trainer and Terrorist of Sullon Zek
Kills: 1278, Deaths: 76, Killratio: 16.82
Old 09-12-2016, 05:47 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzzarTheGod [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Anyway, does anyone foresee any problems from swapping to Nvidia card on an AMD chipset and likely, an AMD motherboard?
Oh as for this
Nope, no issues. Actually you will have better results. Nvidia makes all the best graphics tools for programming, it's what everyone uses. ATI/AMD makes shiat, only like render monkey or whatever it is/was called and was a pile of junk last I used it years ago. Nvidia tools are a programmers best friend. So when you use your Geforce or whatever, it was all originally written for it, for games etc. and ATI is more of a port in a sense.
Old 09-13-2016, 01:20 PM
Project Manager

It appears your board (2AC8) is terrible about upgrades.

Lots of good reading here:
https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=2ac8+video+upgrade

I think what needs to happen is a bios update for your board to make other cards compatible.

This thread has a resolution:
http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop...d/td-p/3108285

The link posted to the documentation is broken on their page, here is a fixed link:
http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03092621
Old 09-13-2016, 03:00 PM
Planar Protector

Thank you nilbog. Saved me some headache (and probably a non-working PC). Ill dig into those links.

PKer & Master Trainer and Terrorist of Sullon Zek
Kills: 1278, Deaths: 76, Killratio: 16.82
Closed Thread