Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 11-29-2019, 09:45 AM
Fire Giant

Default Weird freezing

Anyone else have a sporadic issue where the screen freezes (but you can still hear sounds going on like the game is continuing).

If you then press ALT ENTER to get OUT of full screen it fixes the issue and when you ALT ENTER to go BACK to full screen its fine again.

Sometimes i go hours, or DAYS without having it. Then sometimes it happens 5 times in a few mins.

Occasionally ALT ENTER doesnt fix it at all and i have to basically bomb out the game forcibly and restart.

Got the game put in XP compatibility SP3 mode.
Old 11-29-2019, 09:52 AM
Kobold

sounds like a resolution issue if alt enter fixes it
Old 11-29-2019, 10:23 AM
Planar Protector

Happens to mine if anything else I'm doing on the system triggers the prompt for elevation (admin credentials). Same fix works for me - doing alt+enter twice.

-Mcoy
Old 11-29-2019, 10:40 AM
Fire Giant

Hmmm i thought the same but when i get out to the desktop nothing is waiting.

Ill try disabling everything utterly non essential.
Old 11-29-2019, 12:12 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcoy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Happens to mine if anything else I'm doing on the system triggers the prompt for elevation (admin credentials). Same fix works for me - doing alt+enter twice.

-Mcoy

This is exactly what it is. This is what I read in previous posts. Although you can fix it with alt+enter. It seems to occur when a program on your computer elevates admin privileges and asks you to confirm. When you go back to game it looks frozen.

On a side note, I read somewhere that this is a built in mechanic of p99 to stop unwanted 3rd party programs but I'm not entirely sure. Since you can bypass it with alt-enter.
Old 12-02-2019, 09:37 AM
Fire Giant

Additional to this: i've now had instances where alt enter did NOT fix it.

The solution (weirdly) was to try and forceably close EQgame.exe. I tried it from the task manager and it failed to do so BUT left me in windowed mode with it fixed. Sometimes takes a while to get to this stage.

I agree it seems a resolution issue, it only seems to happen at 1080p. I may switch down a notch and see if that helps much as i hate to.

I disabled all power options, screensavers, cortana and all that rot.
Old 12-02-2019, 10:14 AM
Aviak

Ok, I'm glad you posted this, because I've been troubleshooting the exact same issue without really getting anywhere. It's recently gotten me killed a couple times because I have no other choice but to /ex and come back. I haven't tried going full screen and coming back, but I'll do that next time.

Question: are you using Nvidia video card?

If you check Windows Event Viewer, this video lockup always throws an error:
Code:
4101 Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered.
Searching this led me to the common problem related to the Timeout Detection and Recovery (TDR) feature of your graphics card. I've increased these settings in my registry from defaults (5 and 2 seconds, respectively) to 60 seconds each. It may have helped a bit, but the hangs still happen:
Code:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
    SYSTEM
        CurrentControlSet
            Control
                GraphicsDrivers
                    TdrDdiDelay=60
                    TdrDelay=60
I've also used DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) to completely clear out any artifacts related to graphics drivers. I also used to the tool to prevent Windows from automatically trying to update or change graphics drivers. Then I manually installed the latest from Nvidia.

I still get hangs.

To others saying it's related to applications asking for elevated permissions: this is 100% not true, at least for me. It appears to be the case because when Windows UAC kicks in, the fullscreen video overlay flashes on screen to ask for confirmation-- it's this fullscreen overlay that causes p99 to lockup. Change Windows so that UAC doesn't include the fullscreen overlay and this won't be a problem anymore. EQ will also lockup if you try to launch another fullscreen game while EQ is open -- it's always graphics related.

I've been playing p99 for years on an Nvidia card with no issues. I've been on my current machine since April with no issues until the last few months. Nothing has really changed on my machine over that time, except for Windows updates.

As such, I believe it's either
A) an nvidia graphics driver update sometime around September-October suddenly broke this

or

B) the p99 graphics update related to vision/dynamic lighting is leading to a conflict that's causing the lockup

I'll roll back to earlier drivers hopefully today and see if I make any progress. I'm open to any other input or ideas from other users who might have more experience here.
Old 12-02-2019, 10:49 AM
Fire Giant

I've never seen anything which makes me think elevated permissions. I know as soon as i enabled XP compatibility mode i always get a "Is this app legit" message when running the batch file but thats normal.

I'll print this off and take a look. I almost never update graphics drivers unless i have to (ESPECIALLY for a 20 year old game).

I'm going to keep testing with resolutions. Perhaps it IS a combo of the lighting with resolution.

Some days ive had NO PROBLEMS AT ALL. Perhaps this lend credit to it being the lightning. I guess not all zones have the same lightning. I dont think ive had it at ALL in Oasis.

Had it for sure in Unrest, Kithikor, EC, West Commonlands and Nektlous.
Old 12-04-2019, 08:41 AM
Fire Giant

FIXED ISSUE:

WinEQ2 made all my issues go away.

If your having issues also get it.

Took me like 2 mins to setup.
Old 05-04-2020, 08:19 AM
Kobold

Still having issues with random screen freeze without switching to another app or anything (although if I open an app that requires admin approval, when I come back the game will be locked up). I can't narrow down what the true root cause is, but I do seem to experience the freeze up when changing direction while moving/looking around or swimming. The screen just freezes, doesn't go black (although if I minimize the game window and bring it back, it will be black) and the game is still running in the background. I have to /ex out and relog.

I tried using WinEQ2 and it was still happening. I have a Nvidea RTX2080 (I know, overkill), run in windowed mode. Alt Enter does not fix this issue.

Any help?