Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Old 10-13-2022, 01:18 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathsSilkyMist [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It's not a mob designed to be killed
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Old 10-13-2022, 01:08 PM
Banned

I googled this because I wanted to help with the hunt.

I'm just getting Personal Injury Lawyer ads [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 10-13-2022, 03:56 PM
Banned

Old 10-15-2022, 06:47 AM
Skeleton

Day six. My Tracking is 60 - that's getting close to the acceptable territory. In South Qeynos, I can track the south dock merchant Ghul Rustem from the alley behind the arena.

This is relevant because I went searching for Pain and Suffering in South Qeynos today. The only pain and suffering I found, alas, was disappointment. I checked every corner, north, south, and in the middle. I skulked around the arena tunnels and aqueduct entrances. I drank enough Blackburrow Stout to pitch the corner of my drunken vision partially through walls, to scour rooms I otherwise couldn't see. I swam far out west into the ocean, until every name on my track disappeared, until I was far enough out to see the boats pop into existence, mashing F8 all the while as I tried to find something, anything, out in the unforgiving waters.

I also used EQ Scout. It's a really hecking cool external browser based widget that lets you fly around the full unfurnished map models of classic EQ zones.

But for now, no luck.

I would like to extend my thanks to you, dear readers. Your contributions have not just given me hope, but evidence. Coupled with the wild web rumor mill, I have a theory:
Pain and Suffering isn't invisible; you can "see" it without See Invis. It just has a shadowman model, so it's completely see through.

Pain and Suffering might also show up as a blank, unlabeled health bar instead of a mob named Pain and Suffering. Or maybe it will show differently in different zones.

For now, the conclusion is the same: continue leveling Ranger, continue grinding Tracking.

And should anyone be looking for a quest: if you happen to have a high Tracking, and you're not kos to anyone in South Qeynos, take a look around. Maybe hitch a ride on the boat, or go swimming in the deep water. See if you can find an unnamed mob on your Track out there in Prexus' armpit.
Old 10-15-2022, 09:54 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by globalCooldown [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Greetings, Green server. I am on a particular kind of quest. A quest to find a peculiar kind of entity: the very manifestation of Pain and Suffering on our own Norrath.

It all started when I was goofing around, trying out another emulated server (The Al'Kabor Project, for those curious). My baby Rogue escaped a fight with a Disease debuff, couldn't get it cleansed, and died from its ticks. Tragic, but nothing to write home about.

Except, after I was unconscious, a message in the combat log got me thinking:

Who or what was "Pain and suffering," and how could it miss?

Now, I'm sure lots of adventurers have been killed by "pain and suffering" before. And perhaps even missed by it before. But how many of us wrote off how strangely mob-like those death messages sound?

I delved deep, deep into the stygian abyss of old forum threads and assorted wikis, including our own p99 wiki. "Pain and Suffering" is a mob. An invisible mob in every zone, with a zone-wide reach. Its purpose is to finish off unconscious characters. Allegedly, this was a workaround so unconscious characters could "bleed out".

Allegedly, Pain and Suffering can be tracked.
Allegedly, it can be targetted.
Allegedly, it can be killed.

And so, I come home to p99 Green, with an epic quest: to find Pain and Suffering and learn all I can about this mysterious mob.

I turn to you, the community, for help. Can you find proof it exists here on p99? Can it be targetted? Can it be killed? What does it take to kill it? What is its respawn timer? Its /loc? Its loot?

For my part, I will be rolling a fresh ranger in Qeynos to see what I can find. Please feel free to share your knowledge in this thread.
The only way to find and experience it is to frequent the Red or OOC forums. You're on the right site, but wrong forum.
Old 10-15-2022, 10:03 AM
Planar Protector

Trakanon’s Teeth at the zoneline to Swamp of No Hope there was an invisible unamed untrackable NPC. Targetable though. You couldn’t hit it but you could practice archery by poofing arrows on hit.

There are other instances of untrackable NPCs. Many boats are targettable NPCs which can’t be tracked.

That shows untrackable NPCs exist.

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXXI Dung

Old 10-15-2022, 05:05 PM
Planar Protector

OP why don't you first set up a local EQ server on your PC

then you can enable all the GM features, and gain access to alot more zone info

you can spawn and despawn anything, see real time mob lists, apply effects to another toon you log on and see if you can trigger the pain and suffering function on demand

read up more on eq admin stuff, figure this out.

science needs to know
Old 10-15-2022, 09:23 PM
Planar Protector

Web MD says you have internet connectivity issues.
Old 10-16-2022, 01:27 AM
Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Trakanon’s Teeth at the zoneline to Swamp of No Hope there was an invisible unamed untrackable NPC. Targetable though. You couldn’t hit it but you could practice archery by poofing arrows on hit.

There are other instances of untrackable NPCs. Many boats are targettable NPCs which can’t be tracked.

That shows untrackable NPCs exist.
THIS IS HUGE. Thank you for pointing this out! It's entirely possible that at least some instances of Pain and Suffering don't show up on Track, then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trexller [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
OP why don't you first set up a local EQ server on your PC

then you can enable all the GM features, and gain access to alot more zone info

you can spawn and despawn anything, see real time mob lists, apply effects to another toon you log on and see if you can trigger the pain and suffering function on demand

read up more on eq admin stuff, figure this out.

science needs to know
You know, I might just look into this. I've never set up a private server for anything, but I probably have the knowledge base to at least try. I'll get back to you on this.
Old 10-17-2022, 10:08 AM
Aviak

"Pain and Suffering" definitely exists as an untrackable and untargetable Shadowman in Plane of Fear outside of the Amy Temple. You can stand still and let it swing at you if you are in the correct spot.