Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Old 10-18-2022, 11:41 AM
Planar Protector

When crew get together to peer review.

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 10-18-2022, 11:48 AM
Banned

Religion can't be manipulated to fit a narrative.

That's impossible.
Old 10-18-2022, 11:48 AM
Banned

I recently saw a “study” proving a particular form of exercise produced better results than conventional lifting

Turns out that the sample size was like 9 people, and the participants had a study conductor yelling at them the entire time “come on! You can do it! One more rep!” like a personal trainer. So turns out since these were casual lifters who never used personal trainers, it wasn’t the exercise that produced the results but the verbal encouragement

That’s just one example, and I don’t even think that was INTENTIONAL manipulation. That was just accidental. There’s still a shitload of sketchy intentional manipulation of studies

You have to really study any study you hear and when you do, you will probably find it’s bullshit
Old 10-18-2022, 11:50 AM
Banned

"Do you think we should defend ourselves if Russia nukes the US?"

"Uh yeah..."

STUDY: 100% of Americans think we should nuke Russia
Old 10-18-2022, 12:32 PM
Planar Protector

"these guys have access to the book, I cant read, they can, so it's best to trust the vatican"

That's literally life before the printing press.

Sound familiar??
Old 10-18-2022, 12:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibartik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
"these guys have access to the book, I cant read, they can, so it's best to trust the vatican"

Sound familiar??
Science is the new religion. We are the new heretics.
Old 10-18-2022, 01:35 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsunghero [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Lol ok mr scientist explain to me how many studies you believe were funded by entities interested in a particular outcome. None?

Remember when cigarette companies funded studies showing how smoking wasn’t that bad?

Remember when the ridiculously unhealthy food pyramid studies were funded by grain companies?

How about testing drug safety funded by the companies that sell the drugs, that oh golly gee look the drug is proven as safe by studies then goes on to harm people?

You can manipulate the sample, you can manipulate the data parameters, you can manipulate the control group, you can manipulate the test executed

Anyone who thinks studies aren’t easy to manipulate is a combination of stupid and naive
Again, you're speaking from a place of massive ignorance, as the examples you list aren't examples of science failings.

Can humans (eg. cigarette-selling humans) mislead other humans ... in science or anywhere else, to some extent? Sure. But scientists weren't convinced of anything by misleading, un-peer-reviewed, or unreproducible tobacco studies. Politicians were.

Same deal with the food pyramid: there was never a "food pyramid study"! What there was a bunch of legitimate dietary studies ... and then (again) a bunch of politicians, influenced by farm lobbies and such, who ignored many of those studies, so they could give us the food pyramid.

Drug safety? Obviously, there's a tension between wanting to make drugs safe, and wanting to get new drugs to sick people as quickly as possible. But (again), scientists don't make those decisions: government regulators (whose bosses are politicians) do.

Ultimately you're misunderstanding science, and blaming it for stuff that has nothing to do with it ... and everything to do with politics and politicians deliberately ignoring scientists to push their own special interests.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 10-18-2022 at 01:37 PM..
Old 10-18-2022, 01:38 PM
Planar Protector

All of this could and has been said about the clergy. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 10-18-2022, 02:08 PM
Banned

Scientists cannot be interested in politics or bought off.

Not possible.
Old 10-18-2022, 02:12 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibartik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Sound familiar??
I think they use the Septuagint but I know they don't use the Latin Vulgate.