C++ 15 65.22%
C# 9 39.13%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 03:55 AM
Sarnak

http://pastebin.com/aw3vtWnr

line 27 is where the magic happens

In your unfailing love, silence my enemies; destroy all my foes, for I am your servant.
Blessed be the LORD my strength, who teaches my hands for war, and my fingers to fight.
(Psalms 143:12-144:1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
To be fair he is making $$, which I can't fault him for. If cheating gets you real money, go for it. Real money > pixels.
[10:53] <@Amelinda> he grabbed my ass and then i broke his nose.
Old 06-23-2012, 12:39 PM
Kobold

Wow u really mad to post code on p1999 boards. Did you recently get laid off and replaced by a fresh out-of-college hot shot? Nobody is disputing the "efficiency" - it's that most people given the choice don't want to look at or write assembly code if it is not necessary. Simple tasks become unnecessarily many lines of code and getting others to rapidly understand your code is more difficult.

The efficiency cost of the abstraction of higher level languages is traded for portability and human-readability. Again, remember it's about using the right tool for the right job - system software is an obvious arena for lower level languages. On the other hand, rapid application development that must run on multiple platforms is best developed using languages like C# or Java.

Did you get laid off by Microsoft?
Old 06-23-2012, 01:13 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by somnia [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Wow u really mad to post code on p1999 boards. Did you recently get laid off and replaced by a fresh out-of-college hot shot? Nobody is disputing the "efficiency" - it's that most people given the choice don't want to look at or write assembly code if it is not necessary. Simple tasks become unnecessarily many lines of code and getting others to rapidly understand your code is more difficult.

The efficiency cost of the abstraction of higher level languages is traded for portability and human-readability. Again, remember it's about using the right tool for the right job - system software is an obvious arena for lower level languages. On the other hand, rapid application development that must run on multiple platforms is best developed using languages like C# or Java.

Did you get laid off by Microsoft?
How that make me mad, unless you mean the kind where I have a smile on my face? School never taught me anything besides a bunch of 4-dimensional multivariable calculus bullshit, I started out at 5 years old doing GW-basic on DOS.

I'm not talking about assembly, I know higher level is and has been the future since Algol and Fortran, which is why I compared .Net to Qt. Qt arguably has more tools available, better cross platform compatibility, a way better organized library (compare MSDN's half-baked attempt to Qt's documentation), and of course as proven has better resource usage. So why trade all that just to use a shitty M$ product, when you gain no productivity and lose out?

The whole point is they're writing the Windows.Next kernel in this shit! People already complain how Windows is so bad after Vista, then this shit! If you don't think a kernel should be written in C and asm then you're the dummy.

I have never worked for Microsoft, I chose the Linux route wherever possible as M$ products are complete garbage. The only exception to that may be Visual Studio (when Intellisense doesn't bug out, drop a point in for Qt Creator); one of my early mentors is a seniour developer of it.

In your unfailing love, silence my enemies; destroy all my foes, for I am your servant.
Blessed be the LORD my strength, who teaches my hands for war, and my fingers to fight.
Quote:
To be fair he is making $$, which I can't fault him for. If cheating gets you real money, go for it. Real money > pixels.
Old 06-23-2012, 01:29 PM
Kobold

Why do you care what Microsoft writes their shit in then? If they really don't give a shit then sooner or later it will show. Internet Explorer is a shit product too and users are rapidly leaving it for newer and better browsers.

Microsoft is making this decision for a reason....albeit a seemingly obvious bad one. It might have to do with the market's transition to a more diverse market of mobile devices. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Silverlight.
Old 06-23-2012, 01:46 PM
Sarnak

Silverlight is pretty cool, as is all of WPF. One thing I remember in school was them drilling time vs. space tradeoffs into our head, so I'm pretty sure its a lil important, and with .NET you just seem to lose on both.

I just don't get why people allow Microsoft to trump the market, especially when they stopped giving a shit about performance anymore. Its like that for most things in life though, people just dum. But srsly for a minute, think how many schools in America still rock computers less than 512mb. I bet in the country and the ghetto it's very common. Installing Windows 7's bloated ass (let alone Vista, 8, or this .Next shit) on all these computers is just ludicrous! We should be putting something like Ubuntu in the classroom and migrate the next generation to Linux already.

Quote:
Old 06-24-2012, 05:18 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by somnia [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If they really don't give a shit then sooner or later it will show.
Um, MS hasn't given a shit about quality software since they started, and it has been painfully obvious to anyone who can tell quality software from poor software since the beginning. I couldn't agree with Lucky more on this. The fact that MS software is so prevalent today is absolute insanity and, IMHO, indicative of how dumbed down our society is. No one who writes code denies that using low level languages for all application development is far too laborious, but Lucky's original point that MS software sucks ass stands and is correct. It should be boycotted and replaced with something that actually has quality.

My two cents.
Old 06-24-2012, 11:41 PM
Orc

i dont know very much about c#, but why does the last line of code read input? it seems unnecessary and you could just as easily read for input in the other 2 programs. is it because youre attempting to get a higher number?

incidentally, i have a toon named fgets
Old 06-24-2012, 11:53 PM
Sarnak

The other ones read for input too.

PHP Code:
# python
# 3,772k
print "hello world"
raw_input() 

Quote:
Old 06-24-2012, 11:54 PM
Sarnak

py2.7*

Quote:
Old 06-25-2012, 02:56 AM
Banned

Lol @ "most people don't write assembly"

The. Fuck.

Is. This.

Going.
Closed Thread