Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 09-19-2016, 03:33 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baler [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
No, just no. I'm all for a consider red post but EQ was always a PVE/PVM game. If at any point McQuaid said eq was focused on pvp he was probably hopped up on drugs at the time.
I followed alt.games.everquest for at least a year before the launch and McQuaid was very active on the forum and also was pretty vocal about his intention for the game to be PvP and how he needed to introduce the PoDs because he couldn't find another way around griefing.

One of the reasons the game was so unfinished contentwise** was all the time spent trying to perfect the PoD mechanic and trying to get Red players on Blue servers to work (which, if course, he never could). alt.games.everquest spent most of its pre-launch existence almost entirely discussing PvP mechanics.

** Hands up, this particular part is an assumption but I think a reasonable one.
Old 09-19-2016, 04:06 PM
Banned

Interview with McQuaid in 2001:

Looking back on the game with 20/20 hindsight, what (if anything) would you have designed differently? Why?
Oh, there's still a lot that didn't work out right, despite the game overall turning out fantastic. Let me list a few things that I'd go back and approach or implement differently had I a time machine handy.

Camping: Probably EQ's biggest flaw, in my opinion. We should have approached dungeon spawning and encounter mechanics very differently. The most efficient (and fun) way to gain experience and seek out treasure should be DOING a dungeon, not sitting in one spot, waiting for a spawn, or pulling things to you. Skill Advancement: This should have to do with choices more so than it does
Old 09-19-2016, 04:52 PM
Banned

Here's an excerpt from an interview with. McQuaid:

Mcquaid: the goal of everquest is to become privately emulated on projects with proven staff corruption, where in game items can create a black market for real money, and obese virgins forfeit their real lives in order to sit at the computer 16 hrs in a row so they have a chance to race for dragon.
Old 09-19-2016, 05:14 PM
Planar Protector

Yeah, I mean no one's saying the game would be easier with weekly/bimonthly quakes - it'd actually be harder and therefore less shitty/more enjoyable. Players would actually have to race legitimately and competitively for the plethora of mobs, which is fun as hell. The average raider would actually get the chance to do the encounters on a regular basis, which aren't a walk in the park because the average blue raider is a regular person that has a day job and a family.

There are limits to A/A's appetite, believe it or not. Sure, if we suddenly started getting regular quakes I'm sure they'd devour the first few, but eventually burnout would take its toll and they'd reach a point where absolutely nothing except ToV, Tormax/Statue/AoW, CT, and maybe ST golems would matter to them. And they don't always get first swings at these, either.
Old 09-19-2016, 05:40 PM
Banned

I've masterbated only 3 times to this thread.

My therapy is working...
Old 09-20-2016, 02:22 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by JurisDictum [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
For Ziggy and Others not aware, the windows are +-8 hours (total of 16 hours) for end game loot. There's maybe 20 targets. So there are more days things are in window than not usually.

Now, there about a hundred ways to fix this problem. The obvious one is 1 quake a week (would have to be sure to quake at euro times sometimes). This would take the vast majority of wall staring out of the game.

No one buys that they couldn't do this. They have offered no real explanation why they don't. All I could do is tin foil hat about it -- but frankly -- I don't want to know.
I am pretty sure the reason is because they are afraid it will over inflate the amount of high end raid loot entering the server causing players to gear up too fast, burn out, and quit playing. I personally don't see that to be a real threat or problem from 1 quake a week but alas my opinion really doesn't matter as I'm a super casual who has probably logged less than 4 hours a week on average since the day this server went live. I would love to be able to kill high end targets and attend raids however rare it may be but even 7 years into this server shit like even faydedar, naggy, and vox is still permacamped and its fucking disgusting. I really cannot believe how socially deprived some human beings on this server are.
All I can really do is just be thankful I have a life and can enjoy this game as a casual downtime hobby and not have it consume my life.
Old 09-20-2016, 02:28 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
7 years into this server shit like even faydedar, naggy, and vox is still permacamped and its fucking disgusting. I really cannot believe how socially deprived some human beings on this server are.
Old 09-20-2016, 03:19 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I am pretty sure the reason is because they are afraid it will over inflate the amount of high end raid loot entering the server causing players to gear up too fast, burn out, and quit playing. I personally don't see that to be a real threat or problem from 1 quake a week but alas my opinion really doesn't matter as I'm a super casual who has probably logged less than 4 hours a week on average since the day this server went live. I would love to be able to kill high end targets and attend raids however rare it may be but even 7 years into this server shit like even faydedar, naggy, and vox is still permacamped and its fucking disgusting. I really cannot believe how socially deprived some human beings on this server are.
All I can really do is just be thankful I have a life and can enjoy this game as a casual downtime hobby and not have it consume my life.
Quake as in the dragon respawns are reset. Except for they would never spawn except the quake...so it would be the same amount of dragons and loot; they would just be consolidated to about 1 18 hour raidagaza a week.

It would also actually give some potential for casual guilds to pick off a lesser targets while A/A is tied up in ToV and Kael. Actually, other guilds besides A/A probably have the experience necessary to even take NToV loot if they wanted.
Old 09-20-2016, 12:37 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by JurisDictum [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Actually, other guilds besides A/A probably have the experience necessary to even take NToV loot if they wanted.
They do, and have, especially during earthquakes.

Frequent artificial repops are classic as fuck. If you were fortunate to play on one of the less stable live servers, you may have been clearing NToV two or three times a week in some cases. Not saying this was a weekly occurrence, but it happened and artificial repops were definitely more frequent than they are on P99.
Old 09-20-2016, 12:54 PM
Banned

Bad thing about Repops is bda may think they should come back
Closed Thread