Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 12-10-2020, 11:52 PM
Kobold

between SK and paladin, who can actually fight through a dungeon better? I am interested in playing an SK but my paladin right now does pretty well with lull, root, heals, and stuns to deal with those pesky casters.

i get that an SK with invis and FD available can move thru a dungeon better, but they cant deal with adds, and since they're mostly face tanking in most dungeons, downtime is probably too slow to actually fight thru a dungeon from entrance to wherever. I'd also imagine FD splitting isn't always feasible.

I'd like a melee class that can actually fight her way thru a dungeon rather than just be good at evading or FDing your way thru it. Is paladin a good pick for this?
Old 12-11-2020, 08:14 AM
Fire Giant

solo and melee do not go hand in hand
Old 12-11-2020, 08:33 AM
Kobold

Paladin dmg is a joke. SK at least has some DoTs and Pet going.

But if Ghoulbane is the weapon of choice for you, dps goes way above SK levels.
<Aanelenye> lvl 43 Paladin
<Vaalyun> lvl 48 Wizard
Blue chars: retired

Old 12-11-2020, 12:38 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selene [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
between SK and paladin, who can actually fight through a dungeon better? I am interested in playing an SK but my paladin right now does pretty well with lull, root, heals, and stuns to deal with those pesky casters.

i get that an SK with invis and FD available can move thru a dungeon better, but they cant deal with adds, and since they're mostly face tanking in most dungeons, downtime is probably too slow to actually fight thru a dungeon from entrance to wherever. I'd also imagine FD splitting isn't always feasible.

I'd like a melee class that can actually fight her way thru a dungeon rather than just be good at evading or FDing your way thru it. Is paladin a good pick for this?
SK can dungeon crawl just fine. FD works quite well. Not sure why you think SKs can't deal with adds. They just FD to get a mob solo. Then you don't need to worry about keeping adds rooted.

You would also be suprised at how many places you can fear kite in a dungeon. You just need to use your low level short duration fear with a high level snare so the mob doesn't wander too far. You basically just rubber band the mob with the short fear in a safeish hallway. And FD is there in case you screw up, so you have plenty of opportunities to learn the pathing and safe areas.

SKs can recover pretty quickly as well once they get a lot of clickies, proc weapons, and flowing thought I and II.
Old 12-11-2020, 02:09 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathsSilkyMist [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
SK can dungeon crawl just fine. FD works quite well. Not sure why you think SKs can't deal with adds. They just FD to get a mob solo. Then you don't need to worry about keeping adds rooted.

You would also be suprised at how many places you can fear kite in a dungeon. You just need to use your low level short duration fear with a high level snare so the mob doesn't wander too far. You basically just rubber band the mob with the short fear in a safeish hallway. And FD is there in case you screw up, so you have plenty of opportunities to learn the pathing and safe areas.

SKs can recover pretty quickly as well once they get a lot of clickies, proc weapons, and flowing thought I and II.
This guy has apparently played everquest.

Besides monk deep OP with fungi, the SK is a billion times the best solo melee. The SK can kill harder monsters than the monk can, without excessive use of expendables which change the whole program for anyone. SK uses expendables better too, because of channeling.

Paladin is fine, the lull can replace the feign death its just not as good.

Ranger is also fine, has harmony for "outdoors". But being an ogre is a big factor for solo too, you just crush monsters better and resist stun which lets you do more casting work. In reality, only rogue and warrior are really painful to solo because they have no utility spells to support themselves with.
Lost but not forgotten.
Last edited by Gustoo; 12-11-2020 at 02:12 PM..
Old 12-11-2020, 02:58 PM
Planar Protector

Just sayin, I haven't seen vids of pallies, sk's, or rangers soloing naggy, drusella, or emp chottal
Old 12-11-2020, 03:00 PM
Planar Protector

We aren't talking about full stack of buffs and full stack of expendibles soloing feats, which are a different thing.

We're talking about day in, day out everquest functionality.
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 12-11-2020, 05:05 PM
Planar Protector

FD is a pretty invaluable, get out of a horrible situation, relatively, easily free card. So that counts for a lot. On the other hand I can solo a good chunk of stuff in Seb, Chardok, and other dungeons on my Paladin. Being able to self buff hpts, heal your health bar multiple times over, root, lull, and stun go a pretty long way.
Some other toons
Formerly of TZ
Old 12-11-2020, 05:25 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legidias [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Just sayin, I haven't seen vids of pallies, sk's, or rangers soloing naggy, drusella, or emp chottal
Because there’s a zillion monks that play this game with far more raid gear than sks have acquired. I’ll take an endgame geared ogre/troll sk over a similarly geared monk in this current state of velious against a named if consumables aren’t an option. But that’s a big if since monks have superior dps enough consumables can kill anything just like that cleric who just did general.
Old 12-11-2020, 05:55 PM
Sarnak

dont make me open a can of whoop ass. monks for fun and bestest