Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 07:54 AM
Fire Giant

Default The Magic of Logging In - What Is It About an Avatar?

I've noticed the following trend for a decade: 6 years spent in EverQuest and a spotty 4 years in World of Warcraft.

People are so much nicer when they log in than they ever are on forums. I sensed for the first time that I enjoyed a game less as a forum rat during 02-03 playing EverQuest.

To follow the station forums was to read about horrible things that made the game damn near unplayable! There were classes out there that were completely useless! Including mine, the venerable Paladin. What was I to do? Where was I to go? I was out on my fanny. (Uh-oh, too much TV Land last weekend.)

The crying, the bitching, the disatisfaction on forums was palpable enough that I could bite it and feel the pressure against my teeth.

But then... I would log in... and almost none of the woes were remotely true. The thing that struck me most were the instances of someone on the forums being a complete and utter dick turning out to be a great person once inside Norrath.

I wanted to post this to see if folks would discuss it, because I see the same phenomenon here too. There are a number of folks on this forum that I've come close to ignoring for being such downers... then, I've met them in game and had great experiences with them.

I suppose I could wag my finger and tell these folks they obviously don't need to worry so much on the forums... they're fine folks and an asset to this community. But I'm more perplexed at the duality of their humors.

What is it about assuming control of one's character that just "makes everything alright"? Personally, I'm pretty much the same in and out of game. I've never wanted to succumb to the temptations of internet anonymity and be so different.

I love seeing this phenomenon. I always have. From the days of the sony forum rats acting like the game was on the brink of demise (in its heyday mind you; what we have and will have here through Velious) to logging in and seeing them have the time of their lives while being amiable and quite nice to encounter.

As a software engineer, I've often wondered what the hell I'd do for a living had I been born in some earlier era... I also have to wonder what kind of leisure pursuits would have gripped me (and so many others) with the weird magic that seems to take place when just logging in.

Meh. I hope I make sense.

Anyway. I'm having a blast.
Last edited by Lagaidh; 10-06-2010 at 07:55 AM.. Reason: Spelling errors
Old 10-06-2010, 08:27 AM
Sarnak

There's something about internet forums that brings out the inner dickhead in people. It's pretty universal.
Methlab - 50 Troll Shadow Knight
Kemba - 19 Monk
Old 10-06-2010, 08:33 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tseng [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
There's something about internet forums that brings out the inner dickhead in people. It's pretty universal.
qft

proof - www.fohguild.org/forums
Old 10-06-2010, 08:34 AM
Kobold

The forums give people an increased sense of anonymity, I think. When you're actually on your character, it's more of a face-to-face, personally accountable interaction.

Maybe it's also the fact that the forums give people a chance to write long, uninterrupted, rambling diatribes that they think are funny and actually come across as incredibly juvenile and mean.
Old 10-06-2010, 08:54 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glaani [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Maybe it's also the fact that the forums give people a chance to write long, uninterrupted, rambling diatribes that they think are funny and actually come across as incredibly juvenile and mean.
TL;DR would have sufficed! *snif*

/grin
Old 10-06-2010, 08:56 AM
Kobold

We're going to be guildies soon, Lagaidh..you better be nice to me! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 10-06-2010, 09:35 AM
Sarnak

Excellent observation Lag - I'm fascinated by the social/psychological effects that MMORPGs & Games in general have on people (check out Nick Yee's work on research in MMORPG's if you want to geek out more on this stuff, I've been following him since he started his work back during EQ1). I think when on the forums we aren't on the "gamer high". Which when playing the game, it's what gives us that escape from reality & sometimes feeling of euphoria... the "gamer high". So people are generally in a better mood.

But when on the forums, we aren't doing the most enjoyable thing - which is to play the game. And many are probably writing from work during the day, which compounds the "grumpiness" factor even more (i.e. I would rather being at home playing! Ugh!).

And I also think Glaani has a good point with the anonymity on the forums versus the game which is a bit more face to face & personal. The closer and more personal you get to a person, the less they act like the "jerk" they seem to be online. This is definitely a known & measured phenomenon.

OK I probably rambled too much... thanks for the brain teaser Lag!
Old 10-06-2010, 10:00 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tseng [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It's due to the fact that they have ample time to sit and word things the way they see fit. 99% of those people would be speechless in a face-to-face encounter.
Old 10-06-2010, 10:16 AM
Kobold

Also in MMO's, especially in one as brutally unforgiving as classic EQ, you NEED friends and a decent reputation.

If you are know throughout the server as the server dick that abandons groups at the first sign of trouble, camp steals, etc, etc, you will be tagged as such. Soon you will find yourself struggling to get group, as someone in the group will probably know of your shenanigans and inform others.

If its really bad you might find yourself in dire need of corpse recovery help and people would rather see your gear rot in the bottom of a dungeon then help you.

Unlike some of the current MMO's there isnt enough population and "random grouping" for you to remain anonymous long enough, and when you need 20-30 other people to get the good gear, your in trouble if your a dick.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:49 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glaani [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
We're going to be guildies soon, Lagaidh..you better be nice to me! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Now I'm wondering who you are in game. Hrmmmm.