Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Red Community > Red Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 09-24-2015, 01:52 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secrets [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I've slept with Rogean
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 09-24-2015, 01:57 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by HippoNipple [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What do you think about the Discord server opening up?
The pixels will overcome the players as it always does? I like going into weird areas with game concepts, MUDs were this unforgiving, but Discord is so unforgiving in comparison with the time spent on the character that it seems incompatible to EverQuest as a whole to me, I am more pushed away and the time I put it in my concepts it was only in a limited fashion (you had to opt in).
Old 09-24-2015, 02:48 PM
Fire Giant

back in the day i remember just sitting on non legit servers all the time but this was way back not long after eq came out i didn't realize how long eqemulator has been around.
Old 09-24-2015, 03:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by image [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The pixels will overcome the players as it always does? I like going into weird areas with game concepts, MUDs were this unforgiving, but Discord is so unforgiving in comparison with the time spent on the character that it seems incompatible to EverQuest as a whole to me, I am more pushed away and the time I put it in my concepts it was only in a limited fashion (you had to opt in).
Well the server won't last that long and hopefully people don't think of it as a time investment and more of just a server to play and have fun on for a few weeks. Definitely not a server to attract a big crowd since it will come and go pretty quickly.

As a developer I would think it would be a fun server to watch just to see what people do.
Old 09-24-2015, 03:53 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by image [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I disagree with the pixel part tbh. I think the permadeath + full item loot aspect will deter people from spending any serious time trying to get pixels and instead focus on classes that do well without gear. This server will barely resemble any form of EQ as we know it - probably 20 to 1 caster to melee ratio, little to no dungeon activity and the lack of herd mentality present in current servers because you'll want to limit who you depend on.

My biggest concern is that EQ has always been an open ended game without strict victory conditions. You need to be very careful adding a way to "beat the game", and I think they whiffed big time if it goes live with the highest levels being the winners. You're essentially whittling down the power classes even more and creating a server that revolves around PVP with a PVE method of victory.

The GuildWars servers found a very good balance I think between PVE and PVP methods of advancement, from loot rewards from PVP vendors to city conquest mini PVE events that lead to tangible PVP benefits and so on. Maybe some day I'll get to have my cake and eat it too - and you, devn00b, Rogean and Nilbog can all build a collaborative server with your rulesets and their codebase. That would be EQ PVP nirvana.
Old 09-24-2015, 03:53 PM
Planar Protector

Crucify server was prob my favorite that I worked on. People always ask me to bring it back.. just too lazy and Naez haxx0red my box and I lost the source code.

Qeynos Vs. Freeport was pretty badass too.
Old 09-24-2015, 04:01 PM
Planar Protector

Secrets ftw..

We worked on a few projects together.. I would love to make a legit quick PvP box again, we always seem to get off on a good foot and then one of us just loses interest or some weird shit happens... but still the best eqemu dev, hands down, imo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I think another issue we would run into was me trying to keep it super simple and your ability to make it extremely bad ass... thus complicating the project, but I always had fun.

My biggest, personal, turn off is just not being able to detect/avoid MQ. That's the only thing holding me back from making another box honestly. I know Secrets can do it... /wink

Secrets... you have any of QvF saved btw?
Old 09-24-2015, 04:23 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kergan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I disagree with the pixel part tbh. I think the permadeath + full item loot aspect will deter people from spending any serious time trying to get pixels and instead focus on classes that do well without gear. This server will barely resemble any form of EQ as we know it - probably 20 to 1 caster to melee ratio, little to no dungeon activity and the lack of herd mentality present in current servers because you'll want to limit who you depend on.

My biggest concern is that EQ has always been an open ended game without strict victory conditions. You need to be very careful adding a way to "beat the game", and I think they whiffed big time if it goes live with the highest levels being the winners. You're essentially whittling down the power classes even more and creating a server that revolves around PVP with a PVE method of victory.

The GuildWars servers found a very good balance I think between PVE and PVP methods of advancement, from loot rewards from PVP vendors to city conquest mini PVE events that lead to tangible PVP benefits and so on. Maybe some day I'll get to have my cake and eat it too - and you, devn00b, Rogean and Nilbog can all build a collaborative server with your rulesets and their codebase. That would be EQ PVP nirvana.
The 20 to 1 caster / melee is honestly a big reason why I say it seems so far disconnected from EQ.. Playing on VZ as a human warrior I do remember casters always being naked (I shouldn't say 'naked' per se, more like their GIMP armor) though and I always felt that item loot caused that, kind of leads me down this discord road with the same opinion. I just think going down this road means you split the population because everyone has a vastly different idea of what they want. Some want item loot some don't, some want this.. that..

Never say never I guess, but there are some strong differences in opinions between both camps [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 09-24-2015, 04:32 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
The 20 to 1 caster / melee is honestly a big reason why I say it seems so far disconnected from EQ.. Playing on VZ as a human warrior I do remember casters always being naked (I shouldn't say 'naked' per se, more like their GIMP armor) though and I always felt that item loot caused that, kind of leads me down this discord road with the same opinion. I just think going down this road means you split the population because everyone has a vastly different idea of what they want. Some want item loot some don't, some want this.. that..

Never say never I guess, but there are some strong differences in opinions between both camps [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yeah, this will not be the same game as any sort of classic EQ. I think that is why they capped it at like a month before a reset.

In the end though I think this server will accomplish what I suspect is the reasoning behind it - a way to quickly test out ruleset changes and experiment with them without irreparably harming a permanent server. I think the permadeath aspect was needed to actually get people to fight each other instead of ending up with a r99 situation of a single dominant force strangling all competition.
Old 11-17-2015, 11:49 PM
Banned

Rogean did a fantastic job with server
Closed Thread