Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 12:17 AM
Decaying Skeleton

Default VPN issues

First of all, I want to say "Great Job!". I stopped playing EQ almost 10 years ago and P99 has done a wonderful job of recreating the magic.

The problem I am having is when connecting through my VPN. I can visit any website I want. I have been able to use any program I want.

Any except the Project 1999 website and EQ. When I try to visit the website it just spins for a couple of minutes then stops with nothing. Trying to log into EQ just gets me a wrong username/password message. This happens on multiple computers (both Windows 7 and Ubuntu) and they work fine if not connected through the VPN. If it was just EQ alone I would suspect it was blocked ports, but since it is also the website through the browser I suspect the problem lies elsewhere.

If it helps, I connect through TorGuard and as I said virtually EVERYTHING else works just fine through the VPN connection.

Any help is appreciated.
Old 02-21-2017, 01:12 AM
Fire Giant

You shouldn't be using a VPN Rogean, will ban you for 30 days for using one.
Old 02-21-2017, 08:41 AM
Decaying Skeleton

I wasn't aware that was a new rule. Every search I have done regarding VPN's on this site had people recommending a VPN to solve various problems, and one huge thread where one person suggested blocking all VPN's and the other users scoffing at them for suggesting it because for some people the only way to access the internet is through a VPN.

Has this changed? If so, when?
Old 02-22-2017, 12:50 AM
Fire Giant

He has some sort of program for VPN's have had friends get suspended just for using it because it can look like you are boxing. since a VPN is a third party program that changes your IP address. Upon logging in it says no 3rd party programs are allowed while playing p99, Just warning you.
Old 02-22-2017, 03:55 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoesha [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
He has some sort of program for VPN's have had friends get suspended just for using it because it can look like you are boxing. since a VPN is a third party program that changes your IP address. Upon logging in it says no 3rd party programs are allowed while playing p99, Just warning you.
That would mean anything actively reading your logs while playing would also be illegal, gina for example
Old 02-22-2017, 04:41 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Any program that provides an unintended advantage or gleams access to information not otherwise available is very strictly prohibited.
Any program that interacts, inspects, or modifies the Everquest client in any way is not allowed.
That's the official rule. A quick search doesn't yield any results for VPNs being disallowed. programs that read the log file certainly aren't in violation, in fact:

Quote:
Programs that provide audible ques or overlay information by only reading the Everquest Log Files are currently allowed.
For that matter, a VPN doesn't break it either really..
Last edited by PoptartOnRye; 02-22-2017 at 04:44 AM..
Old 02-22-2017, 05:07 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoesha [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You shouldn't be using a VPN Rogean, will ban you for 30 days for using one.
Don't listen to this 99.9% sure these friends of his were boxing. Also "my girlfriend is logging on" is very truthfull statement.
Old 02-22-2017, 02:09 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivah [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
"my girlfriend is logging on" is very truthfull statement.
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 02-22-2017, 07:55 PM
Sarnak

I used to travel for a living and can vouch that with hotel internet I could browse the net and could not figure out why I couldn't access FFXIV servers, a VPN solved the problem. I have no idea why but it fixed my issue. I don't see how a VPN would be against server policy, masking your IP address shouldn't be an issue since they could tell you're boxing(on the same machine at least) by your MAC address.

Would love some GM input on this, idk why this hasn't been clarified by now
Old 02-22-2017, 10:21 PM
Fire Giant

Never seen anything from an admin to indicate VPNs were against TOS. Two-boxing is, as clearly stated in the rules.