Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Server Issues > Bugs

Old 11-06-2020, 10:49 AM
Sarnak

Chain petting seems to suffer from a similar issue bard charm kiting does.

Even with the most minimal amount of aggro possible, the pet is ignored by NPC's social with the one under attack.
Old 11-09-2020, 02:32 PM
Kobold

Even when no nukes or spells of any kind are used and simply casting a new pet, it is currently taking MUCH LONGER for the pet to regain agro causing me to have to kite said mob.

I did NOT have to do this prior to a few months ago.

100% can confirm if the pet is killed by the monster ALL agro the pet had gained is dumped upon the mage making a new pet all that much harder to establish agro.
Old 11-10-2020, 02:32 PM
Aviak

Default This might be the wrong Forum for this post

This is the Velious Beta forum. I think this needs to be posted in regular server bugs page or no one will see it.
Old 11-11-2020, 11:42 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbramlett [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This is the Velious Beta forum. I think this needs to be posted in regular server bugs page or no one will see it.
you're right, I will
Old 08-06-2021, 03:39 AM
Sarnak

bump
Old 08-31-2021, 10:03 PM
Kobold

bump
Old 09-01-2021, 10:05 PM
Kobold

bump
Old 09-02-2021, 11:22 AM
Planar Protector

I want to see this change too, but it seems like this thread needs evidence, not bumps

If anyone can find an old forum post of a Mage talking about chain summoning, and how the second pet immediately took agro, I imagine Nilbog will fix things MUCH faster.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 09-02-2021, 04:02 PM
Planar Protector

Okay so I recently scraped and indexed the Magician's Tower boards. While this thread is from 2002, I think it's still pretty close to the classic pet aggro behaviour as I remember it.

First, it's implied that the second pet would grab aggro pretty fast after the first one was dismissed, if not immediately:
Quote:
7. Depending on how fast the pet is losing hit points, you will want to recast roughly when the pet is between 20 and 40% of his hit points. When it's time to recast, hit your /Assist hotkey to target the mob, then start casting a new pet.

8. It takes 10 seconds to cast a new pet, so you have approximately 9 seconds to type this message: /pet get lost. Do not make this a hotkey, and when you type it do NOT hit <Enter> yet. Wait until you have half a bubble of casting time left, then hit <Enter> to kill the old pet. Your new pet will appear in about half a second or so. At that time, hit your /pet attack hotkey to continue the fight. Go back to step 6 and repeat until the mob is either low on hit points or dead.
Alternately, with the New UI, you can click the "Go Away" button in the pet window instead of typing /pet get lost.

9. When the mob is low on hit points you must decide whether you want full experience for the kill, or share it with your pet. If you pulled with a small nuke and did any damage, you will get full experience for the kill. If not you will need to nuke at least once before the mob dies to get full experience. If the pet does all the damage it will take 75% of the experience.

10. Dead mob, loot at will.

This bit is about taking on multiple mobs. It's fairly explicit that the mob would go straight for the pet and not beeline to the mage if he hadn't built up any spell aggro:

Quote:
In answer to the multi-mob question. Yes, if your pet can handle the damage output from several mobs at once, you can chain pets. There are a couple tricks to this. First off, a damage shield is mandatory, your pet can only attack one mob at a time. So with a damage shield in place, all mobs are taking damage.

Second, you have to control your agro on the multi-mobs very carefully, do not nuke any of them unless you can finish one off completely before you need to chain another pet. If you haven't nuked any of the mobs, when you chain the next pet and send it in, it won't need to overcome any agro you have built on a mob and the mobs won't run past your pet to bum rush you. You can also train a mob that has rushed you back onto your fighting pet if you don't have major agro on that mob. DS-ing, burning out, and even healing your pet do not generate significant agro.
https://web.archive.org/web/20040830...pic.php?t=2238
Old 09-02-2021, 04:33 PM
Planar Protector

Here is a thread in era from the Casters Realm forums with mages talking about chain casting pet tactics:

Quote:
The problem is once your first pet dies you are at the top of the aggro list because of the amount of damage you've done. Your new pet then has trouble getting the mob off you (It's really mad at you!) Try this:
-Cast a pet
-med up
-Burnout pet
-med full
-go pull a mob with Malise and get back to your pet.
-Flameshield your pet
-sit
-watch pet health
-When you know he's gonna die begin casting new pet (you know the drill... you've chaincasted already)
-Send new pet on mob
-wait till new pet has mob's attention and try nuking just once really hard near the end.
All you have to do is outdamage the SECOND pet and you get the exp. You make adjustments as needed depending on the mob so that you nuke as little as possible while outdamaging the LAST pet you need to summon to kill a mob.

If it takes 3 pets chaincasted to kill a mob you only have to outdamage the LAST one to get the exp. So sit and let the pets take a pounding. I usually only BO and shield the first one... the rest are 'disposeables'. Keep in mind if you have the mana to spare that the damage shield damage gets credited to nobody.

Perilbane Mooncaster
Mage of the 52nd Circle

https://web.archive.org/web/20010215...ML/003720.html
Another thread about chaining pets to kill Gornit:

Quote:
After practicing more on the strat I talked about above, Ive found that on most cases a 44 MAge can easily solo any lvl Seafury with a min of 2 and a half bubs of mana, and 4 bubs (absolutely MAX amount if you get nuke happy) Im sure most people know how to do this, and just don't want to take the time, but it is pretty fun and really mana efficient against super tough mobs.
1.) Prior to fight. Cast BOII and Barrier of Combustion on Earth Pet <--Earth pet is definately the best for this
2.) Go find a Seafury to kill, and pull it with malisement..get close enough to the pull so you can tell if the malisement sticks or not.
3.) Bring back to pet. (here is when if the first malisement didn't stick, cast it again until it does..this way your final (and only) nuke won't be resisted at all)
4.) Sit and med while pet gets pounded, and does some pounding along with 20+dmg each time it gets hit oh yeah.
5.) when the pet is close to death, I start casting when the pet looks to have about an 8th to a 10th of its life left. blah blah chain casting you know how.
6.) You will go through this with your first pet and the second one you pull..the third one will live. after getting the third pet and DS'ing it and BOII'ing it, nuke the SF and it will either be dead or very close to dying...and guess what you did way more than half the remaining dmg as your current pet..so you get full exp. Works out very nice.
7.) The third pet from this battle becomes first pet of next battle and because of all the medding during the fight. You can usually walk away with half your mana left. And I only have 172 int..with 200int this would be much more im sure.
8.) rinse...repeat
It's funny, I was actually thinking last night that this might be a balance issue. A 44 character soloing something in 2 and a 1/2 bubs of man that a 52 druid in the zone said took three bubs for him to solo and really, it only costs us 5sp a battle..I think you can handle that. I'm almost positive that a 44 necro (The GODS of solo) would have a tougher time with these things than we do using this strat. It just makes me proud. And I actually lvld doing this. Its pretty good exp

------------------
Tomlyn Drayke
Lvl 45 Mage
Prexus

https://web.archive.org/web/20010306...ML/003485.html
They don't go into specific detail about aggro behaviour of the pets on the mobs but I thought I'd add them since they demonstrate this was a viable tactic in era.