Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 07:43 AM
Fire Giant

Default Question about racial hide/sneak

I've had a few non-rogue toons over the years in live with racial hide and sneak, halflings mainly.

Can someone explain how it works? I understand hide fully, and I understand using sneak to buy from otherwise angry merchants.

Is it possible, for say, a halfling druid to move while hidden while successfully sneaking? If so, then I haven't been doing something right for ages.

With a rogue, I could hide successfully, then get sneak to be successful and I could move along really slowly but invisible.

Does being able to remain invisible under the effects of hide and sneak work for non rogues?
Old 07-26-2012, 07:48 AM
Planar Protector

No. Only rogues can hide+sneak. And only rogues get messages that their hide/sneak succeeded/failed.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:10 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by falkun [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
No. Only rogues can hide+sneak. And only rogues get messages that their hide/sneak succeeded/failed.
Ah okay. I was always waiting for the heard-of-elephants failure message. Hey thanks for setting this straight.

I'm an east coast guy and this reminds me of daylight saving's time... I didn't get that right in my head until I was 29 years old. Sure I could solve a differential equation in my head at one point, but couldn't read an analog clock at a glance or get DST right!

I'd lived in AZ for a while as a kid and learned that for part of the year, time was two hours apart compared to my grandparents on the east coast, and for the other part of the year it was three hours apart. I just learned this is how DST worked.

When my wife began business travel I'd ask if we would be two or three hours apart on her west coast trips. She set me straight on DST, hehe.

I'd tried hide + sneak on a rogue first... that colored my impression forever after. Why it took me this long to just ask... heh.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:12 AM
Fire Giant

By the way Falkun, I love your dragoon sprite. FFT is my favorite console game of all time. EQ is my favorite game of all time =)

FFT and EQ were numbers 42 and 43 (43 and 44?) in Game Informer's list of the 200 greatest games of all time (article's a few years old at this point). I always liked that my 2 favorite games were right beside each other.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:09 AM
Sarnak

Still pays to consider mobs when hide/sneaking as a rogue... Found out the hard
way years ago the Ghoul Lord in Lguk sees through stealth

Kalepto Mayniak - 54 Half-Elf Rogue

Ithamar Kenobi- 57 High Elf Magician
171 research skill
Old 07-26-2012, 12:16 PM
Fire Giant

On the realm of Hide, I for some reason didnt know hide broke Charm... Was trying to hide to avoid extra aggro and BAM haha. The rest of the night my Camo was de-memmed and charm kiting was a lot easier : )

Hide+Sneak still makes me wana be a rog though haha
Old 07-26-2012, 12:20 PM
Sarnak

I love using Hide on my cleric... so happy my CLR is a de..

One trick you can always do to make sure your hide worked is to try and target your self after you hide.. click escape to clear all targets.. then hide.. then /target your self.

If you are able to target your self you know it failed.. if you cant /target your self you know it worked and are succesfully hidden.. as long as you dont move a step.=p
Bunn - 54 Cleric
Old 07-26-2012, 01:05 PM
Planar Protector

You can bug hide with invis and walk around unseen like sneak/hide, unless they fixed that
Old 07-26-2012, 07:05 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by falkun [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
non rogues can sneak and hide if they have both skills. they just can't move and remain hidden
Old 07-27-2012, 07:58 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavydrop [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Still pays to consider mobs when hide/sneaking as a rogue... Found out the hard
way years ago the Ghoul Lord in Lguk sees through stealth
Hell I've always done that because I never trusted invis. Pop a potion, con that bastich! Can he see me? Hehe. Paranoid about my corporeal dwarven self.