Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 12-26-2021, 01:43 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Think you mis-interpreted. The "both sides are right" comment refers to it being reality in this game that there's a best choice but that best choice quite often confers such a minuscule advantage as to be superfluous in practice. New-to-P99'ers are commonly trained to min-max by other games and ask about whats "best" out of habit without realizing that this isn't the kind of game where they necessarily have to adopt such a mentality. So I try to add that disclaimer, where appropriate.

Yes, it's true--I've run into players who genuinely believed that non-ogres are wholly incapable of casting spells while being attacked, or that half-elf druids could never gain enough mana to quad because of their low default wisdom. I've met people who believed a dark elf warrior could never be a raid tank, or who truly thought most groups were going to care if their paladin was a high elf instead of a dwarf. I'm addressing that bunch. You're more focused on hobbyist character planners so our purpose differs somewhat.

Danth
Ah I see. Yes adding disclaimers is fine, I do that as well when it is appropriate.

I just want to make sure the correct info is out there. You don't do this, but I get tired of people just saying "play whatever". People should know the min max options are if thats how they like to play, for example. Just like people should know what fashion you can get if you prefer playing that way.

There is an odd animosity towards people who enjoy Min/Maxing on P99 that I just cannot properly fathom. I like the itemization in this game, for example, and my primary focus for enjoyment is on that, with fashion being second.
Old 12-27-2021, 01:51 PM
Sarnak

Hmm, considering making an SK instead of a Monk once I at least got a fungi going.

Was thinking a Troll and maybe female, but how do helms look on troll females? Does the velious graphics work?
Old 12-27-2021, 03:55 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajbert [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hmm, considering making an SK instead of a Monk once I at least got a fungi going.

Was thinking a Troll and maybe female, but how do helms look on troll females? Does the velious graphics work?
Female Trolls are probably one of the rarest race/sex combinations in the game, so that would be awesome. Their helm does look pretty cool in my opinion.

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Troll is a great race for SK due to having extra regen, slam, and also the ability to still use Blood Ember armor. Best solo race in my opinion.

To determine whether you want to make a Monk or a Shadowknight, simply ask yourself if you want to raid a lot. A monk will work better as a raider. A Shadowknight is great for solo/group play, but sadly useless in raids lol.
Old 12-27-2021, 04:07 PM
Planar Protector

Transparency doesn’t work great in p1999, this is pretty well discussed for the female erudite crown, i’m worried a similar issue may exist for the female troll visor...

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXXI Dung

Old 12-27-2021, 04:25 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Transparency doesn’t work great in p1999, this is pretty well discussed for the female erudite crown, i’m worried a similar issue may exist for the female troll visor...
I've seen the troll female custom hat in game. I don't remember seeing any serious transparency issues. Looked good imo, very unique.

Only downside to female trolls is their animation set isn't as good as male trolls, who have the best animation set in the game. Male troll animations look way more dynamic and interesting than most of the human looking races, which tend to look like they have sticks up their butts[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Last edited by DeathsSilkyMist; 12-27-2021 at 04:29 PM..
Old 12-28-2021, 02:49 PM
Orc

It's weird how almost everyone seems to be focused on things that make the game easier. For me one of the charms about EQ, and about evil races/classes especially, were the challenge factor and uniqueness.

In beta storebought chainmail or bronze armor was often the best we could do, and a non-magic weapon. Still had tons of fun, figuring out how to get on the boat in Freeport or gaining favor in High Pass. It was all about the early game and adventure, leveling was slow, dying was even more painful, nobody would give you any free stuff. We felt cool after finally completing our leather set from our froglok money, or getting our first big weapon from the shop. It was even more necessary to group since everyone's equipment was so poor.
Old 12-28-2021, 05:17 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShampooChicken [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It's weird how almost everyone seems to be focused on things that make the game easier. For me one of the charms about EQ, and about evil races/classes especially, were the challenge factor and uniqueness.

In beta storebought chainmail or bronze armor was often the best we could do, and a non-magic weapon. Still had tons of fun, figuring out how to get on the boat in Freeport or gaining favor in High Pass. It was all about the early game and adventure, leveling was slow, dying was even more painful, nobody would give you any free stuff. We felt cool after finally completing our leather set from our froglok money, or getting our first big weapon from the shop. It was even more necessary to group since everyone's equipment was so poor.
I agree, and I lean towards that aspect of the game too. But at the same time, there are two sides to it as DSM and Danth were discussing.

To your first sentence, I'd point out that we all strive make the game easier. We even did so from day one in 1999 when we were looking for better gear, spells, skills, knowledge, etc. That chain and bronze made us get hit for less.

That's not to say we're all minmaxers, because we're not. I'm definitely not, and play more for the nostalgia and the sense of adventure you described. Yet I still find the conversations about minmaxing interesting and can, vaguely at least [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] , see why it appeals to some.