Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 08-15-2021, 09:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whale biologist [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
3.5 came out way after EQ, gaylord.
Whatever. 3rd edition released publicly shortly after, and EQ was already designed on the D20 ruleset, which is why damage interval is designed the way that it is.
Old 08-16-2021, 12:41 AM
Planar Protector

Default Don't sit by that wall.

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Last edited by Mblake1981; 08-16-2021 at 12:52 AM.. Reason: yes
Old 08-16-2021, 01:01 AM
Planar Protector

Old 08-16-2021, 01:46 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwaihir [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
EQ is a solid Windows 3D MMORPG.
ftfy

You know they later stripped out racial vision because it got in the way. Remove all the flavor from the steak before you serve it.

https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...d.php?t=284891

Old 08-16-2021, 01:55 AM
Planar Protector

Default Windows to Console To Mobile.

Coming soon to Windows 11 for all you men of brains.

Hey guys, I have a great idea. Lets use mobile influences combined
with console dumbing down for your Desktop games.

Last edited by Mblake1981; 08-16-2021 at 02:03 AM..
Old 08-16-2021, 02:22 AM
Planar Protector

liquor before beer, never fear

https://wiki.project1999.com/Bleeding_Brain

https://wiki.project1999.com/Skull_Ale

G'night, fools
Old 08-16-2021, 11:25 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mblake1981 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You know they later stripped out racial vision because it got in the way. Remove all the flavor from the steak before you serve it.
That series you linked wouldn't be nearly such an entertaining read if it were written by a native english speaker or ran through modern grammar/sentence-check software. It isn't just games that are becoming more normalized and "vanilla" and boring. Lots of things seem like they're on some sort of path toward dull uninspired singularity. Heck, I can't even tell most cars apart anymore except by the badges. Too much design by committee and focus groups out there lately. I don't know that quality can be produced by people who are overly worried about offending or displeasing others. That sort of thinking gets you Soviet apartment blocks--efficient and functional and dreary as can be.

It's the norm for our era. It'll change, as all things do with time, but probably not soon enough to do you or I much good.

Danth
Old 08-16-2021, 11:41 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
“[..]Although personally, I think cyberspace means the end of our species."
Yes? Why is that?"
Because it means the end of innovation," Malcolm said. "This idea that the whole world is wired together is mass death. Every biologist knows that small groups in isolation evolve fastest. You put a thousand birds on an ocean island and they'll evolve very fast. You put ten thousand on a big continent, and their evolution slows down. Now, for our own species, evolution occurs mostly through our behaviour. We innovate new behaviour to adapt. And everybody on earth knows that innovation only occurs in small groups. Put three people on a committee and they may get something done. Ten people, and it gets harder. Thirty people, and nothing happens. Thirty million, it becomes impossible. That's the effect of mass media - it keeps anything from happening. Mass media swamps diversity. It makes every place the same. Bangkok or Tokyo or London: there's a McDonald's on one corner, a Benetton on another, a Gap across the street. Regional differences vanish. All differences vanish. In a mass-media world, there's less of everything except the top ten books, records, movies, ideas. People worry about losing species diversity in the rain forest. But what about intellectual diversity - our most necessary resource? That's disappearing faster than trees. But we haven't figured that out, so now we're planning to put five billion people together in cyberspace. And it'll freeze the entire species. Everything will stop dead in its tracks. Everyone will think the same thing at the same time. Global uniformity. [..]”
Old 08-16-2021, 12:13 PM
Fire Giant

No. I would not even work , everquest like most rpgs of his time come to be from the 80s generation wich grow with ADD and other rpgs of the age.

the players shaped these games , u just had to look at the names of players back then wich would try to blend into the game with roleplaying names .
Old 08-16-2021, 12:18 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwaihir [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
No. It's because EQ was a solid 3D MMO based upon the DND 3.5 ruleset, which was not conducive to "class balance" whatsoever in it's inception.

People wanted to be able to play DND in a world where they didn't have to rely on a DM to clumsily put together their adventures: that, and an extensive lore system based upon esoteric cosmology. In a perfect world, I'd enjoy querying the mythos designers for the conceptualizations built into the EQ universe.
i gotta say i stoped caring about dnd because i feelt than the older rule set was better and bland than old one.
Closed Thread