Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Closed Thread

Old 12-27-2019, 04:10 AM
Aviak

It's been some years since I chained pets last, but here's how I remember it:
Pet have a fairly stable damage intake, and the spells have a long cast time, so with practise you can finish casting a new pet just as the old one is near death. You have to manually type in /pet get lost and hit enter just before your cast finishes. In subsequent casts you can just shift+up arrow to recycle already entered commands.
Old 12-30-2019, 03:40 PM
Orc

I'm playing a mage for the first time on Green, I'm only at level 17 but I'm enjoying the different pet strategies I've found so far.

Pets seem to be around 80% of the Mage toolkit so I'm spending time with each pet seeing how they do breaking 2 and and 3-spawns of blues. I've found good success with the fire, water, and earth pet in different situations. I haven't tested the air pet much yet.

The fire pet's damage shield is 3x stronger than the castable damage shield at my level, which opens up some interesting strategies. The earth pet has SO MANY HP, and is a great off-tank for your group in dungeons when an enchanter isn't in the group. The water pet is solid DPS and still quite tanky, my water pet could off-tank yellow and red mobs without dying while the group dealt with another mob. I'm interested in testing air pet more when fighting casters, the stun seems like it would be quite useful.

So far I'm really enjoying the class. Good luck in your adventures!
Old 01-01-2020, 12:17 PM
Planar Protector

The first thing is to always use your highest level available pet, regardless of the type. If you have multiple pets to choose from then it's a question of what type of XPing you're doing. Fire is very good for pet chaining against low blue cons while solo. Earth is good for buffing to the gills with a Cleric partner (especially when CH is a factor) and just keeping it hasted and DSed while it tanks everything. Water is good for max DPS while grouping. Air is good for grouping in dungeons that have a lot of casters.

In general, fire pet will always be your riskiest pet, having the lowest HP in exchange fort the huge DS. Earth is your safest pet, with the most HP and the root proc. So if you're solo or duo choose between them depending on how comfortable you are with the mobs you're fighting. If you've got a lot of experience at a camp and a good understanding of the mob levels/hp/damage/etc... and just want to burn through them as fast as possible then lean on the fire pet. If you're trying out a new zone or aren't 100% dialed in for whatever reason, take advantage of the extra beefiness of the Earth pet for an added margin of safety. And then most of the time in a group just pull out the Water pet for maximum DPS and a little offtanking as needed.
Old 01-02-2020, 01:26 AM
Fire Giant

I remembering using a fire pet from 16 to 49 back when I leveled up lol. He will be your bread and butter. Their damage shields are just too nice to use other pets over it.. this is solo of course. Earth pet comes second place.

Edit : I also had alot of experience with magicians and knew the camps/mobs I hunted very well. Another thing i made sure I got done at a low level was the Torch of Alna pet focus item out of SolA it made my pet noticeably Meaner! Insta reclaim/+1 pet mod
Last edited by Christina.; 01-02-2020 at 01:34 AM..
Closed Thread