Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 02-18-2015, 06:54 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Default New to Everquest - Class?

Hi all, looking for a class recommendation.

I want something that can:

-Solo reasonably,
-Is relatively underplayed,
-Is wanted in groups / end game raids,

Any other advice and tips for a completely new player to EQ is welcome, i have zero idea what im doing and havent even logged into the world as of this post. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Thanks in advance and nice to meet you, Capped!
Old 02-19-2015, 01:05 AM
Planar Protector

It seems like you want everything at once: good solo, good in groups, good in raids, and not a popular choice. This isn't terribly realistic. You should figure out what you want most out of a class and prioritize that. Check out this newbie guide, there's a lot of good information there: http://wiki.project1999.com/Players:Newbie
Need a port or a rez? Hit me up on IRC!
Old 02-19-2015, 02:08 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capped92 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

-Solo reasonably,

Any other advice and tips for a completely new player to EQ is welcome, i have zero idea what im doing and havent even logged into the world as of this post. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Wizard is a pretty boring class that is laughable in groups but great at soloing, is underplayed and is a great contributor in raids.

Hope you can handle the solitary confinement.

Other than that, it's hard to hit all those criteria

Soloers:
ench, druid, shaman, mage, necro, bard, wizard (post 30)

underplayed:
paladin, ranger, SK, wizard, warrior, and i guess rogue under the logic of "can never have enough of them"

wanted in groups:
ench, cler, rogue, monk, sham

wanted on raids:
wizard, cleric, (or warrior if you dedicate your entire life to the game)
Old 02-19-2015, 07:50 AM
Sarnak

If you play on Red then no one cares what class you are when you group. As long as you have a healer, someone that can semi-tank, groups will take almost anyone.
Old 02-19-2015, 10:31 AM
Planar Protector

Hi there Caps! As others have already pointed out, there I no class that fits all of your criteria ^^ Sox sums things up pretty well and wizard may be a decent choice, but could be a lonely haul to 60. I might also suggest SK or Bard. SK can solo alright, don't have too much trouble with groups since tanks are underplayed in general and they are certainly underplayed ^^ Raids? I wouldn't see you being excluded, but not the greatest contributor. Bards now, they are fantastic soloers, highly desirable in groups and not too numerous because most just mass solo kite quickly to 51 then don't know how to play their character and quit ^^

Sham/enc are both highky effective solo, group and raid classes, but are also highly played as a result ^^

Necro also a great soloer, not a poor grouper and has a unique albeit bland role in raids.

Druids/Mage are both great soloers and decent in groups, but not the greatest raid contributors. Druids are highly played where as mages are not.

Take a look at the class lists and see what you like best ^^
Old 02-19-2015, 02:51 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by sox7d [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Wizard is a pretty boring class that is laughable in groups but great at soloing, is underplayed and is a great contributor in raids.

Hope you can handle the solitary confinement.

Other than that, it's hard to hit all those criteria

Soloers:
ench, druid, shaman, mage, necro, bard, wizard (post 30)

underplayed:
paladin, ranger, SK, wizard, warrior, and i guess rogue under the logic of "can never have enough of them"

wanted in groups:
ench, cler, rogue, monk, sham

wanted on raids:
wizard, cleric, (or warrior if you dedicate your entire life to the game)
It's true. PST for group therapy scheduling.
Old 02-19-2015, 03:14 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capped92 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

-Solo reasonably,

So you want to be a unique snowflake that everybody wants to have around and can solo too. You're chasing unicorns dawg.

But you're basically describing a wizard. You'll never solo difficult targets like an enchanter/shaman/necromancer and will be completely useless without mana (no pet). You make up for this with root + strong single target nukes and quad kiting 29-34+ and can get around the world with ports (bit of a money maker too). Not many play wizards because they're crap in groups since many people here are pretty autistic and need to maximize DPS in groups so they can rush to 60 to start poopsocking raid targets as soon as possible. You are sort of useful in raids because porting, low-resist DD, and raid targets have max 32khp in Kunark era. Your utility will decline come Velious when some targets have hundreds of thousands of hit points, but you're still fairly useful if you have a team that knows how to feed you mana with mod rods and such. After all, 5-10 wizards blowing their mana on 2k a pop nukes is still a lot of damage fast.

The climb to 60 without a PL will be extremely boring and lonely. If you don't have good equipment starting out then quad kiting may be more difficult since you need a sizable mana pool to do it effectively. You will be abused a lot by people looking for cheap ports and unless you go /anon or /roleplay then you will be bombarded with tells asking for a port. I enjoy it because I like to do other things while I play so I just do a quad kite, go sit in a corner + hide, and come back 5-10 minutes later to do it again. Your mileage may vary.
Old 02-19-2015, 03:46 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:

-Solo reasonably,

I just started an enchanter but i'm level 7. I'll group with you no matter what class you choose. I plat PST evenings, add me to friends list [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] name is Garthin.
Closed Thread