Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 06:26 AM
Planar Protector

Default LLRPG

Low Level Roleplaying Gamer.

Ok, here's the current policy I would use for myself:
1) alts must be less than level 15.
2) alts cannot be twinked by you or by old friends. (remember, you're playing as an equal)
3) Delete alts when out of room or things to do (yes, give your stuff to new players before deleting)

What's the purpose of this?

To keep the low level population strong. To help avoid a situation where a new player gets overwhelmed and quits. My projection is that in the future the rate of incoming new players will decline over time (like on live). This will create a circumstance where new players cannot find groups so easily and will increasingly become dependent on twink items and buffs from high levels. New players will increasingly complain on the forums about grind and complications and lack of groups. One way to help resolve this is to form some kind of community of veterans who nurture the low level community by actively playing with them as equals. When you play as an equal, you're, for all intents and purposes, just as vulnerable as them. And you devote your time to this task. In so doing, the veterans who participate must also sacrifice the glory of having a bunch of high level characters - doing that requires a lot of time that could have been spent with low level players. So this is not for everyone.

Why do I enforce these restrictions in my policy (ex: alts less than level 15)?

Most high levels do not want to sit around buffing new players all day. Leveling past 15 means you're not leveling with the pre level 15 crowd - you leave them behind. And many will twink their own alts rather than twink someone else. If you refrain from twinking your alts, you can twink other players instead - which builds on the community aspects of this game. Removing the restrictions is too tempting. It's like giving a child a loaded gun. What we say and what we do are different things. It's human nature. You want to be an equal to a new player so that they can feel empowered and useful. For me, I go all the way. I want to role play a low level player. So I restrict myself and do my best to enjoy it.

Have fun, but don't overwhelm a new player or min/max. Whassat?

Your goal is to not just have fun yourself, but to make it fun for everyone else. If you haven't done something before, do it. If there's a place that gives less experience, but might offer something new to others, do it. The point is to enrich the experience and use your wealth of knowledge to entertain a new player. But don't overdo it. Let others lead when they desire to lead. Ask them often what they want to do, and just follow along and enjoy the ride. The ride is what it's all about.

Whatcha think? How would you change the policy for yourself?

Please post seriously! I've actually enjoyed re-rolling my alts without twinking them even when I could have. I've done several and enjoy it everytime. So that got me thinking about this idea.

Disclaimer: Opinions and/or assumptions listed in this post are not endorsed or credited by anybody other than myself. Any resemblance to other opinions and/or assumptions elsewhere is purely coincidental. Thank you.
Last edited by stormlord; 04-10-2010 at 12:07 PM..
Old 04-10-2010, 07:28 AM
Planar Protector

This is an incredibly overly complex way of proposing people play low level alts without twinking to help incoming players.

Some of the things you said are completely unnecessary. Others are just excessive.

Why do I have to label myself an LLRPGer? Then decide I "want to stop?" This is just foolishly complicated. Seeing as how it's (obviously) voluntary, it's not like there's a difference between keeping an active roster and just saying "do it if you feel like it" (ESPECIALLY if you want people's identities to be secret).

That's my criticism... otherwise whatev sure sounds like a splendid plan for anyone that'd be interested, i guess.
Old 04-10-2010, 08:26 AM
Planar Protector

uhm ... are you bored with your life?
Old 04-10-2010, 10:04 AM
Skeleton

nobody would do this. being a noob all the time is not the motivation of your average EQ / P99 player.
Old 04-10-2010, 10:13 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ektar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This is an incredibly overly complex way of proposing people play low level alts without twinking to help incoming players.

Some of the things you said are completely unnecessary. Others are just excessive.

Why do I have to label myself an LLRPGer? Then decide I "want to stop?" This is just foolishly complicated. Seeing as how it's (obviously) voluntary, it's not like there's a difference between keeping an active roster and just saying "do it if you feel like it" (ESPECIALLY if you want people's identities to be secret).

That's my criticism... otherwise whatev sure sounds like a splendid plan for anyone that'd be interested, i guess.
Well, if you keep all your alts under 15 you won't have the temptation of logging in your level 50 to buff and sit there all day. I guess if you find that fun, do it. Also, as a high level, you give new players the impression that they cannot exist without you. It becomes about you, not them. A huge DS buff, or a big hp buff does not make a new player think about their choices very much but it does give them crazy experience. Bottom line, you become their god that way, not their equal. You help them more by playing alongside them. And you can do this part-time by levelling higher, but I'm really referring to people who intend on doing this full-time when they play and are targetting new players less than level 15. Those are the ones I'm concerned about at this point. My thinking is if you keep them going, early on anyway, they're more likely to stay or come back later.

Lol. Sorry if it seemed too complicated. Most of it was arbitrary. Just read it in spirit. The idea here is not to follow it like policy, but to keep the new player population active and satisfied with their numbers.

On live i've buffed lots of players over the years, twinked, broke every rule I wrote in this thread. So I'm already guilty. These are just the rules i've made for myself.
Last edited by stormlord; 04-10-2010 at 11:11 AM..
Old 04-10-2010, 10:31 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigforest [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
nobody would do this. being a noob all the time is not the motivation of your average EQ / P99 player.
Tell ya what. I'll present a challenge to myself. If you're right, I won't succeed. Or maybe I'm just not average.

As soon as the server comes up, I have two choices:

1) Delete all my characters and start fresh
2) Keep playing druid

I'll pick (1) to prove to myself that this is about new players, not me. If I can survive like this for a while, maybe this really is a style of play. Or maybe not. I just wanted to post something in support of helping new players and putting emphasis on them. I did not make this post to argue with people.
Last edited by stormlord; 04-10-2010 at 11:25 AM..
Old 04-10-2010, 10:55 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
to prove to myself that this is about new players, not me.
you sir, are one out of a million that doesnt put him self before everyone else ... im impressed ... and this is no sarcasm, i mean it
Old 04-10-2010, 10:59 AM
Kobold

I can haz ur stuff??
Old 04-10-2010, 11:00 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uaellaen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
you sir, are one out of a million that doesnt put him self before everyone else ... im impressed ... and this is no sarcasm, i mean it
Put yourself in my shoes Uaellaen. I came here I think it was in nov or dec and had some fun with low levels. I left and went elsewhere for 3 months. Came back and same sequence of events. No twinking. I enjoyed it. So I started to wonder why I am I enjoying this? I guess it doesn't matter. Fun is fun. So I came here to explain what I enjoy and the policy i'm going to follow. I may not have used the choice of words, or maybe I didn't fit your fancy, but I did my best not to get negative respones.
Last edited by stormlord; 04-10-2010 at 11:20 AM..
Old 04-10-2010, 12:00 PM
Planar Protector

I changed the first post so every post previous to this one is referring to the old update. Put this here so previous posters (including me) don't look like morons talking about things that don't exist.
Closed Thread