Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 02:16 AM
Aviak

I sat through Battlefield Earth, The Postman, Troll 2, and The Room in one sitting each, but I had to space Expelled over the space of a few days because I began to feel nauseous after about 20 minutes of Stein's monotonous ignorance and ignorant monotony.

Forgive an obvious ad hominem, but Ben Stein is stupid and everything he says is stupid.
Old 02-02-2011, 02:18 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazortag [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Stein's position is interesting because if he were just talking about regular video games, it would be extremely apparent that he was full of shit. The cognitive stimulation that someone gets from playing the average video game isn't really any worse than that which you'd be getting from the average book. This isn't to say that people shouldn't read, or that playing video games is an adequate substitution for reading, but rather that both have their benefits.

The truth is that most of our current media is actually way more complex than it was 40 years ago. Even god awful TV shows like Heroes have a bazillion more plotlines going on at once than the average show from back in the day. Again, this isn't to say that shows have gotten *better*, but that they've gotten more complex and stimulating, and that the conventional wisdom that they "rot our brains" is unsupported nonsense.

Video games can be very complex and challenging too. Even some older and simpler games like Smash TV or Contra 3 could be hard as hell and required people to think quickly so that they could avoid getting killed. And yeah, sometimes that meant that players just memorized everything they had to do to win, but that's good in its own way. There have been at least a few studies that I know of linking video games to improved memory, and it's not like that's surprising - people like to win at games, and lots of games reward people with good memories. Replace "people with good memories" with "people who are good at math", "people who think quickly", "people who can spell", "people who can read", etc. and that describes a lot of the people who benefit from games.

Even games that aren't that difficult can stimulate the mind. Lots of early SNES RPG's were really easy, but they were essentially no different from any other story-telling medium. If I were to write down the story to a final fantasy game and make a book or a play out of it, would that make it better somehow? Is there some reason why telling a story by using a video game makes it unstimulating, or are all stories in video games just bad?

Stein's argument is based on two things: the fact that games can be time-consuming, and the idea that the time spent playing games is "wasted potential". That's true insofar as the time spent reading the books in the harry potter series is wasted potential. People spend literally days reading all of those books, so like, shouldn't they be out working minimum wage jobs and stuff? Wouldn't that be more productive?

When people are playing everquest, maybe it's not that clear what cognitive stimulation they're getting out of it. But I'm sure you can't just reduce everquest to mindless grinding, at least not classic everquest, which we all know can be very challenging. The game actually does make people think, balance priorities, add, subtract, read, use basic math, etc. It also does kind of have a story - as I said, the whole experience isn't just limited to mindless leveling. Not to mention, it lets you meet some interesting (to say the least) people, and that's usually a plus.

Also, even though it's not terribly relevant, Ben Stein generally says very stupid things. I think he was the one who tried to argue that muslims were going to take over Europe in 20 years or something? Also if he believes in intelligent design like President says, then that's just unforgivable.

edit: TLDR: stein's dumb.
Let's not forget the social aspect that many of us are involved in while playing EQ.
Old 02-02-2011, 02:18 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uthgaard [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Ben Stein's hate for Everquest is due to his son's addiction to it.
this. his son was massively addicted to it around Luclin i believe. duno about anymore.
Old 02-02-2011, 02:19 AM
Aviak

Too much of anythings can lead to bad things. To me, everything in life should be moderation.

<Vesica Dei>
Old 02-02-2011, 02:33 AM
Fire Giant

EQ taught me how to type on a keyboard like a pro. So while everyone in middle school was learning 'asdf jkl;', I was like 'lol u guys suck, Hail, an orc centurion'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruman View Post
Hahaha, that is awesome. Right up there with...that one guy's....boat service before the boats worked.
Old 02-02-2011, 02:40 AM
Kobold

Frye....
Old 02-02-2011, 02:40 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by nalkin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
EQ taught me how to type on a keyboard like a pro. So while everyone in middle school was learning 'asdf jkl;', I was like 'lol u guys suck, Hail, an orc centurion'.
This... I blew kids out of the water after a few months of EQ and now type absurdly fast. I definitely feel like competitive counterstrike upped my reaction time too.
Old 02-02-2011, 02:42 AM
Large Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by President [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This... I blew kids out of the water after a few months of EQ and now type absurdly fast. I definitely feel like competitive counterstrike upped my reaction time too.
Nonsense. Video games make you a murderer.
Old 02-02-2011, 02:45 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nalkin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
i hear ya, though for mr before eq i couldn't type at all, it got me killed plenty of times too. eq makes you learn the hard way to watch the screen not your fingers.
Old 02-02-2011, 02:47 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ongbak [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
To me, everything in life should be moderation.
Impossible! Trying to do so just means you always live by this maxim, which in and of itself means you fail to live by this maxim [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Closed Thread