Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Old 05-12-2022, 09:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattydef [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The piercing skill is a bigger deal than it seems since that makes both Lance of Thunder (52/46) and Great Spear of Dawn (53/46) more viable for paladins, and those two are the most accessible high end 2 handed weapons for knights.
that weapons with these stats even exist in classic is horrifying
Old 05-12-2022, 10:28 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by starkind [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
that weapons with these stats even exist in classic is horrifying
It isn't that bad, because Pal/SK can't dual wield, crit, or have triple attack. Also, SK piercing skill is lower than their other skills, so that means you are doing less damage. Paladins have a higher piercing skill, but their DPS is a bit lower anyway since they don't have a pet or DoTs.
Old 05-12-2022, 11:09 PM
Planar Protector

You could give a paladin either one of those with haste and avatar and they'd still only do a consistent 35-40 dps
Old 05-13-2022, 03:06 AM
Kobold

I did battle rez once while tanking and holding aggro.

That's my contribution to this thread.

Magelo
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollin5k View Post
Here is the secret to success in EverQuest
Lower your expectations and increase your play time
Old 05-13-2022, 11:00 AM
Banned

Alright I believe u guys i'll let it slide for now
Old 05-13-2022, 03:21 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achromatic [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I did battle rez once while tanking and holding aggro.

That's my contribution to this thread.
That’s pretty rad
Old 05-13-2022, 11:51 PM
Kobold

They both offtank end game and both are okish at it, not warriors.

However they play different, so keep that in mind.

- SK can FD and can invis without potions. Paladin can't.
- Paladin has a much easier epic, much much easier, so if it matters to you, that's a plus.
- SK can solo way better due to fear kite. Paladin can't solo nearly as good as SK, it's not even close.
- Paladins do look way cooler though with that flaming sword though.

But if I were you, just pick what you like the look of more. None of this shit matters anyway. Don't overthink it, it's building sand castle in someone elses sandbox.
Old 06-27-2022, 11:02 PM
Fire Giant

Sk’s can contribute to raid pulling with their pets and FD, something Paladins cannot do. And obviously the off tanking or agro snapping.

So anyone who says they are useless is mistaken, but I won’t say their role cannot be duplicated by others
Old 06-28-2022, 12:34 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trungep99 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Sk’s can contribute to raid pulling with their pets and FD, something Paladins cannot do. And obviously the off tanking or agro snapping.

So anyone who says they are useless is mistaken, but I won’t say their role cannot be duplicated by others
Shadowknights certainly aren't useless. They are great in solo/group situations.

However, Shadowknights rarely get used for raid pulling. Not unless this has changed in the last year or so. Usually Necromancers are preferred over Shadowknights.

Paladins typically have more utility in raids due to having Divine Strength, Soulfire, and their off-healing capacity in a pinch.

Not trying to discourage people from playing Shadowknights. I love my Shadowknight, and he works really well in any solo/group situation. But in raids all of the Shadowknight specific utility is either nerfed (lifetap nerfs on P99), or unused (pulling).

Shadowknights will simply be used for offtanking and DPS. You won't be able to use your pets for DPS either typically in raid situations. The pet will be used for pet tracking only, as you probably won't get to pull.
Old 06-28-2022, 02:22 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pint [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You could give a paladin either one of those with haste and avatar and they'd still only do a consistent 35-40 dps
It will be spikey as hell due to the delay too.

Its funny though, Snails beats me on DPS sometimes if I'm really unlucky with backstabs and he gets a lucky streak with Avatar+Tunare sword. Doesn't happen that often but its kind of a funny WTF moment when the Pally starts pulling 90 DPS for a bit cause all the hits land. As a dual wielding Rogue, if I roll 10 misses in a row I stop doing damage for like 4 seconds and recoup it with a lucky backstab roll or a lucky streak of hits. A pally swinging one of these that hits the same unlucky patch does 0 damage for like 15 seconds.

I was kind of curious so I went poking through my last sky raid logs, and he was doing between 20 and 97 dps. There were two kills where both of us were on it for the whole time and he beat me out.