Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 02:40 PM
Sarnak

I wasnt gonna post this but ... if the "night" timeframe is crack of 9pm to crack of 7am, and the ph spawn timer is 30m40s, and an hour in game is 3m, THEN - is it not the case that you can only get one chance per 72 rl minutes to get an ac? and with a 10% spawn rate that works out to 12 hour average camp. The 3 ac i killed popped around 9pm, never got one to pop during the 7am hour. People seem to think they can get two chances, but that seems wrong. Thoughts or anecdotes? this is obv the sro ac im talking about.
Last edited by DetroitVelvetSmooth; 02-09-2011 at 02:42 PM..
Old 02-09-2011, 02:41 PM
Planar Protector

Well anyway, the OP is correct in the sense that you don't NEED them. Are they nice to have if you can afford them or camp them for yourself? Sure they are! But they are not essential.

Potions take 4 seconds to cast but are cheaper and 20% faster. Both are useless indoors. Investing in 10 dose sow potions are a perfectly viable substitute.

Yes, there are a few instances where having the insta-click of j-boots will save you but these situations are much rarer than people let on.

In summary:

J-boots = great tool
sow potions = perfect economical substitute for most situations.
Old 02-09-2011, 02:47 PM
Sarnak

Jboots should pay for themselves easily by the time you quit. Remember, P1999 is stopping expansion rollout after Velious. AA's (run speed in particular) get introduced in Luclin. Run speed AA's (in Luclin) get you up to 30% speed increase, while jboots are 35%, IIRC.

So, if you are not class that can cast a runspeed spell/song, it may be worth it in the long run.
Old 02-09-2011, 03:15 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by guineapig [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
When was the last time you were on a raid with zero druids, shaman, rangers, bards? When was the last time you needed a run speed buff AFTER being dispelled by these mobs? These targets, once engaged drop really fast
The first part is completely irrelevant, but probably half our raids have no rangers and most have at tops 2 druids, who are usually blasted on mana doing spot heals / SLN etc. Shaman have 5+ other buffs they're constantly casting + debuffing. I still get SoW when i'm dragging bodies because it's actually a material difference in speed then.

As to how often i get dispelled and reclick jboots it's probably 5x during an inny kill dealing with the Gflux/dispell. If i don't, i lose another buff and if that buff is my lev cloak that gets dispelled next, i'm kinda SOL.

Quote:
Very true, but does not make them a must, just convenient. There is a difference.
I'm pretty sure a huge chunk of the economy is based on convenience to some degree.

Quote:
Again, when was the last time you were on a raid with zero druids or rangers? I'm pretty sure the druids and rangers have plenty of time and mana to sow you on a raid. That being said my guess is you would use your potion zero times.
I feel like i covered this above, but one less buff that has to be cast on 40 people in sky after every encounter / wear off / succor is time well saved. There are still times sow is important and i'm not discounting the utility of potions completely, but you're acting like jboots server no purpose.

Quote:
The OP already did the math. Most of your examples of clicking j-boots are times when you actually had sow available which is superior run speed by 20%

Completely disagree 100%. If you were going to say anything at all about being solo then you might have a leg to stand on but your examples actually do more to prove that j-boots are not essential on raids.

I never had j-boots on live or on this server and I have never died on a raid due to not having them.
Probably 80%+ of the time i'm logged in on shiftin i'm raiding. In the last few months i think i could count of how many mobs have been won or lost between DA and IB by literally mere seconds. There is a reason the successful raiding guilds require them and to argue that casted sow or potions are just as effective while admitting they are not quite as efficient or convenient in every circumstance is a massive contradition. If you want to win, you need to have them. That's my definition of essential.

For me, and people like me, jboots are essential. For lots of other people, they are an awesome convenience which can be supplemented by casted or potion sow.
Last edited by Shiftin; 02-09-2011 at 03:17 PM..
Old 02-09-2011, 03:37 PM
Planar Protector

When I started my chanter, I invested around 375pp to make 6x 10 shot sow potions. Now at level 30 I still have ~25 shots left.

For simply leveling up a class that can't sow itself, I don't think you can do much better.
Old 02-09-2011, 03:56 PM
Planar Protector

Not going to continue the argument but I have to say that your having to redo j-boots on an Inny kill is a super weak example.

And Having to keep SoW on 40+ people on a sky raid is also weak. Where exactly does everybody need to run to constantly?

Even if you only log on to raid, and you logged off with a fresh SoW, every old world raid target in the game is dead before the 36 minute duration of that sow has elapsed (with the exception of CT).

Sorry, I'm calling it as I see it. Call it a necessity if you want to but it is in fact a convenience and when speed is actually of the utmost importance then it's an inferior buff to SoW.

I remember a debate on these forums way back when somebody tried to convince me that "if you don't have a manastone then you don't care about being good". I will honestly say that in my opinion the j-boot argument being put forth has less merit than the manastone argument did.
Last edited by guineapig; 02-09-2011 at 04:01 PM..
Closed Thread