Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 06-20-2016, 03:55 AM
Orc

Default NPCs with multiple factions

If an NPC is listed on the wiki has having multiple factions, which faction determines how they consider you? Is it a specific one, or the worst, or the average, or what? For example, the Qeynos-area druids and rangers are Guards of Qeynos, Jaggedpine Treefolk, and Protectors of the Pine. I've killed at least 300 gnolls in Blackburrow, which raises the first two, but the rangers/druids are still Scowling, while the guards, monks, and merchants have all gotten three tiers better. Is it because I haven't raised Protectors of the Pine?
Old 06-20-2016, 04:11 AM
Planar Protector

you're missing two things here, the NPC's own faction and the faction hit for killing him. there's good chance that the NPC is on a faction that takes hit when killed, but that isn't necessary, nor will you always lose faction with the NPC if you kill him.
Old 06-20-2016, 04:12 AM
Planar Protector

NPCs that give multiple faction hits have 1 primary faction that determines how they feel about you. This faction is determined by NPC guild alliance, class, and/or lore.

EX: Killing Crushbone orcs lowers both orc and Indigo Brotherhood (DE warrior) faction, but of course the orcs are primarily on orc faction. You lose DE faction because the CB orcs are specifically allied with the DEs.

For the specific situation you're talking about, druids = Jaggedpine Treefolk and rangers = Protectors of Pine. Raising the first with gnolls ought to at least get you into the druid guild safely.

Depending on race or deity, you will start off at different rates of KoS with certain groups. For example: My iksar monk began at scowling with the Freeport paladins and threatening with the militia. She was also threatening with DEs (before she started, uh, murdering the roaming guards for fun). I'm assuming halflings are ambivalent about her at the moment, given she should be KoS to everything in there but the guards. (Soon, my little furry-footed snacklings, soon...)

In other words, you'll probably have to kill way more to get non-KoS with those Tunare-loving druids than you'd have to for the more neutral Guards of Qeynos.

Retouched all faces for the EQClassicHD Texture Pack
Retired from p99
Old 06-20-2016, 04:13 AM
Fire Giant

http://wiki.project1999.com/Mechanic...tem_and_Levels

^ might help. Especially: Each AI controlled creature belongs to one and only one faction.
Old 06-20-2016, 04:24 AM
Orc

Thanks all! So, it's just that the primary faction isn't listed on the wiki?
Old 06-20-2016, 04:28 AM
Planar Protector

well, it is generally one of the faction hit, and it's sometime written in the text comments, but yes, you're right, it's not listed there
Old 06-21-2016, 07:06 PM
Planar Protector

Sounds like you just need to kill more, 300 hits isn't going to change much when your scowling unless you were already on the border.
Old 06-22-2016, 05:40 AM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolanar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Sounds like you just need to kill more, 300 hits isn't going to change much when your scowling unless you were already on the border.
No, it was the druid faction vs. ranger faction thing. I checked the druids and treant at the EK ring, and I'm amiable to them now. While I was gnoll killing, I was sneaking into Surefalls and checking the closest NPC, who was a ranger.

Now to find a way to safely turn in 240 gnoll fangs in Halas. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 06-22-2016, 05:10 PM
Fire Giant

Just note that Barbarians are kos to wolf form so that isn't an option.
Old 06-22-2016, 07:19 PM
Orc

Yep. They're also KoS to earth elementals, apparently, as my ball of golem clay did not work.
Closed Thread